It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2002, 09:36 PM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
IBS and work

One of the problems trying to deal with IBS is work. If I have something that causes an episode, depending on the severity it will make me next to useless to work.

Has anyone else been affected this badly?

Old 05-19-2002, 03:22 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: IBS and work

Hi Frustrated,

Unfortunately, yes I have had the same problems in the past. Sometimes when I have had a really bad attack, the pains in my belly and diarrhea have been so severe that I have had to call in sick and maybe take a couple of days off until the symptoms resolved. Plus the fact that with pain and diarrhea you just don't feel well anyway.

My stomach is pretty much under control now. Have you found good ways of helping yours?

Take care

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2002, 07:07 AM   #3

Frustrated1 HB User

Thanks, I glad too know I am not the only one. I too have had it soo bad that it does require one or two days to clear up.
What have you done once you have had your first episode, I am dehydrated so I drink a lot of water and the fatiguw associated with it can be so complete sleep (a very light one) is about all that can be done.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hi, Frustrated. Yeah, I've been there, done that myself. I've had the "D" kind of IBS for 20+ years, and in the last 5 or so, it has worsened. Just in the last year, I missed several days of work because the "D" was so bad, I couldn't find a bathroom in time. Talk about humiliating! I would just call in sick and lay low for a couple days. In the last 3 months, I've had NO diarrhea since taking Colestid every morning. It's been a wonder drug for me. It's available by prescription only. It absorbs excess digestive bile, and creates formed stools. I also take calcium supplements and eat increased fiber (Metamucil wafers) for added bulk to my stools. So far, life has been wonderful! Good luck to you.

Katie G

Closed Thread