It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2001, 11:20 AM   #1

RodneyReo HB User
Newbie ... Big Pain

I've been reading a lot here and decided to post after an episode Tuesday night. I've had IBS for at least 15 years. When I have pain in the lower abdomen it usually "strikes" after 3AM. We found the main culprit to be milk. I can eat some dairy products (cheese is OK) but a straight glass of milk results in quite a bit of painful. I almost never have constipation which seems to be a major symptom of IBS. Anytime I lay on the doctor's table and he pushes on my right lower abdomen I about jump off the bed (nothing on my left). I've had two colonoscopies, barium enemas, endoscopes, and other things I've forgotten and nothing has been found. Anyway, here is what happened to me Tuesday night.

I was jolted awake at 1AM with incredible pain. Nothing like I've ever experienced in any situation in my entire life (46-yres). By the time I set up it was "gone". I had a small sensation to go to the bathroom so I went and sat on the toilet. Within seconds I was again hit with excruciating pain. So much that I grabbed the pedistal to my right and the towel rack in front of me. There was no sensation of having to go but all of a sudden a bowel movement comes. The stools were very soft but not runny. During the movement the pain immediately starts to ease and after the movement ... no pain. I still had a sense that it was not over. Within 30 seconds it hit again. This time the pain was so severe I got light headed, was seeing white, and nearly passed out. The movement came and again soft stools and the pain was gone. This time I was soaking wet from sweating. It came a third time but not to the degree as #2. Now it was all over. I checked the stools; all soft, no hard ones, no blood.

Was I scared? You bet. During #2 I actually thought I was going to die. I thought about what I ate, spaghetti with a salad dressing. Both my wife and I ate the same thing and she had no problems. This is also an item we usually eat at least once a week. Now I'm afraid to eat it. Actually I've eaten very little since Tuesday.

Any revelations?
Thanks,
Rod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2001, 03:26 PM   #2

angeline HB User
Re: Newbie ... Big Pain

Yep sounds like an IBS attack. You have a few more years of this under your belt, and you have D type rather than C type...but attacks like that suck. I doubt it was "something you ate" but instead just eating in general. Could the pain have been very intense gas? Sometimes those gas pains are so terrible I feel like I'm going to die.

check with your dr...maybe have more tests run...let us know how it goes.

Old 09-14-2001, 08:38 PM   #3

Angie E HB User

You might also want to have someone check you for appendicitis...might not be it, but you can't detect it with a colonoscopy that I know of...

Old 09-14-2001, 10:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Rod,
I hope you are taking a water fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucel so your BMs are more gentle.

Colon spasms can be caused by too little calcium and magnesium in your system.
The area you talk about is where your appendix is located as Angie said. But, appendix problems don't just go away after a BM. I think it is more related to colon spasms or cramping as your stool moves. It can really hurt.

Harry

Old 09-17-2001, 10:40 AM   #5

RodneyReo HB User

Thanks for the responses. I've had IBS for at least 15 years but no "serious" attacks until this episode. I reluctantly tried the same meal again and had no problems ... not even a hint.

The lower right side still can cause pain when pushed. I've had the appendix and the gall bladder checked and both were OK. Also had some X-rays taken but nothing comes up.

Is there a good site I can go to to find more information about IBS? I never knew there were more than one "type".

Thanks,
Rod

Old 09-25-2001, 01:21 PM   #6

chinadoll66102 HB User

I have those once in a while...but not as bad as you it sounds. Mine happen maybe 2 a year, and they sound quite similar...you have one, and you have to go to the bathroom right away, and when you do, it's painful. The best remedy for those I find, is a bath. What is happening (I think) is that the muscles in your intestines towards the bottom (IBS can also be called "spastic colon...interesting, huh?) and the muscles that push go into spasms, thus making you go, and thus being quiete painful. However, because this woke you up in the middle of the night, I would still talk to yiur doctor. I heard that any kind of pain that wakes you up can be a warning sign...but then again, since you arn't having these all the time I take it, it does not sound too serious.

Old 10-02-2001, 11:06 AM   #7

RodneyReo HB User

I had another big attack Saturday afternoon and then a mild attack last night. Saturday was extremely painful but not as bad as the 11th. I didn't get light headed and I didn't sweat profusely but still very painful. Last night was a strange one. I lay down to go to bed and it hit. I lay there waiting for the next one and when it hit I ran to the bathroom ... nothing. Back to bed and a few minutes later, pain. I went back-n-forth to the bathroom 4 times but no movement. It finally calmed down and I went to sleep without another episode. Three spasms in less than 30 days ... :-(

Closed Thread