It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2002, 07:35 PM   #1

Iris HB User
Heat Related Symptoms?

I have been following Harry's advice and taking psyllium husk capsules and calcium daily, and they have made a significant improvement in controlling my D-type symptoms. However, when the weather becomes unbearably hot, as it is right now in NYC, I seem to be relapsing and getting awful cramps -- no matter how much water I drink and how careful I am about what I eat.
I was wondering if anyone on this board has a similar experience with what seems to be heat-related symptoms and if anyone has suggestions as to what else I can do.
Thanks,
Iris

Old 07-04-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Heat Related Symptoms?

Iris,

It sure has been hot all over but as you may know the heat depletes the body of some minerals just like diarrhea does. The problem is most people don't replace the minerals/vitamins that are lost/washed away with diarrhea. You may need magnesium and potassium as well as the calcium. You should make sure you get alittle more than the daily requirements of the Vits/ Minerals.

When the proper bacteria is also out of balance in your Gastrointestinal tract, you just don't absorb some nutrients and this result in your system not making the the B vitamins and others that your body needs.

Heat just puts the body under more stress and this results in all sorts of odd symptomes that you would normally not be aware of---I live in a hot/humid place especially during July and August. Some people even die from the HEAT. You have to make sure you're hydrated---Drink enough and take the right kind of Vits& minerals.

I hope you've read my messages about taking probiotic caps and eating yogurt to re-balance your GOOD intestinal bacteria/flora??? You sure need to with the D symptomes!!!

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2002, 06:08 AM   #3
Unregistered

Hi Iris,

Harry is correct in what he says, but I just noticed that you said that you were getting cramps. Do mean cramps in your belly or in other places around your body? Cramping is probably an indication that you need some sodium as well as calcium and magnesium.

In hot weather, you sweat more and so your urine is likely to be more concentrated and if you are having diarrhea too, this will make it worse, so you need to drink plenty of fluid and also add some more salt to your food. As long as you don't have a blood pressure problem, then adding a little more salt to your food should help your cramps.

Hope this helps?

Sarah

Old 07-05-2002, 06:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hi, Iris. I agree with Harry and Sarah. I know my IBS symptoms are worse when the humidity is high, so I have to be extra vigilent (and near a bathroom) to control symptoms. However, I also have fibromyalgia and when the humidity climbs, my aches/pains, and other assorted FM complaints are also worse. I do much better if I can be in a low humidity environment. I'm ok if it's hot - it's the high humidity that affects me. Today in Michigan, the weather has cooled down and is much more tolerable. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids and take it easy when it's hot and humid.

Katie G

Old 07-05-2002, 11:04 AM   #5

Iris HB User

Thanks for the advice. Sarah, you asked about the cramping. I meant to say abdominal/intestinal cramps, (not anywhere else). I have not been limiting my sodium intake and I have low blood pressure -- in fact, I usually eat alot of fish and sushi because it's pretty easy for me to digest -- but maybe I do need a little more sodium than my norm. I do carry around water with me at all times, so I am getting enough fluids, but when I wake up and hear that the weather is going to be very hot, I get nervous because it's pretty likely that I will have stomach pains/diarrhea as soon as I eat anything solid.
Regards,
Iris

Closed Thread