It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2002, 10:27 PM   #1

maggs3 HB User
ibs

I was diagnosed with ibs years ago and always suffered with bouts of diarrea and constipation. Last week, My doctor told me to start taking metamucil once a day to help with the constipation, which I did. What has started to happen, is that I have started to bloat very badly and it feels like I have severe back pain. I went back to the Doctor this week and he told me to stop taking the Metamucil and see if the bloating will go away, now it's day 4 and i'm still bloated and it feels like I am full of gas that I cannot pass. Is this a side effect of the Metamucil and what can I do to relieve this? Please help me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
Unregistered

Re: ibs

Maggs3 I am new to Healthboards and was diagnoised 3 years ago with IBS. One of my constant battles is bloating one sort or another. However you may consider trying a product called Konsyl, it is also a fiber sup. but seems to be far less gas producing. One of the other problems/symptoms in my case is cronic pain ie. lower back lower abdomin ect. ect. I am on Endocet 10 mg. which helps tremendosly. You might also ask your Dr. about a smooth muscle relaxant such as Librax I think the more calm the colon is the better chance the gas has to pass. I will include you in my prayers . God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2002, 02:26 PM   #3
Unregistered

Hi,

Unfortunately, bloating of the belly is normal when you first start taking Metamucil. You do get used to it though. If you have bloating and gas, try adding Acidophilis caps or eating live yogurt and this will increase the lactobacillis or good bacteria in your gut that may help you.

Good luck

Sarah

Old 04-28-2002, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

maggs3,
Sarah's right Metamucil as well as Konsyl's active ingredient is Psyllium husk. It is a natural fiber that is broken down by your intestinal bacteria ----forms GAS but as your system gets use to it then gas usually goes away. Citrucel is not natural and does NOT form gas or breakdown by intestinal bacteria. You may want to try Citrucel

The best thing I found for bloating is "Probiotica" that I bought from Wal Mart. But, I also eat yogurt daily---both are GOOD for intestinal FLORA.

Take care---Harry

<p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 04-28-2002).]

Closed Thread