It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2002, 01:06 PM   #1

Dove HB User
GI Bleed????Help!

I have had "gut rot" for past day and a half, followed by bm( sorta painful but relieving). I woke up this morning to more of the "gut rot" sort of like the IBS pains but different somehow, anyways went to the bathroom and had moderate bleeding! Not just a trace, but basically went to look at my mess in toilet and couldnt see as water was red, wiped tissue was bright red remincent of my menstral peroid on its 2nd day. This is a little much! I am totally freaked out. Phone my doctor, just waiting for next bm , then they said go to emergency. as they can't fit me in today.
Questions: Is this a GI Bleed? What other things could this be? Should I go to emerg before waiting for next BM? What is a GI Bleed, causes, and what do they do for it? Thanks in advance and for letting me vent my probelm....God Bless Dove ^v^

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2002, 04:53 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: GI Bleed????Help!

Hi hon,

I really think that you should definitely go to the ER. If you have been having pains in your belly followed by blood in your stools for nearly two days, then this needs some urgent investigation. I am surprised that your doc would not fit you in.

There are different causes for a GI bleed. You don't say whether your pain was in your upper or lower belly, but if upper, it could be that you have an ulcer that has burst. If its your lower belly, then it could be related to your IBS, or you could have a perforated diverticulum or something else going on in the bowels.

If you go to hospital, they would probably want to do an endoscopy, which is a tube down your mouth to look in your stomach. Sometimes ulcers can be stopped by injecting some epi. You may also need surgery to stop bleeding. If they need to look in your bowels they might do a colonoscopy. Firstly, they would want to do some blood work. You could be anaemic if you have been bleeding. They would probably want to x-ray/CT or even ultrasound your belly to get a close look at what is going on before proceeding further.

I hope this helps and I really don't want to alarm you, but yes, I really think you should go to the ER. Blood in your stools and pains in your belly for whatever length of time needs urgent investigation.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2002, 11:02 AM   #3

Dove HB User

Dear Sarah, thanks for sharing your concern and knowledge! I really appreciate that.
So Update: Went to doctors( as my next bm was not exactly normal, but no blood) and there was a substitute doctor standing in for him(he went fishing) So she did a, not so thorough, rectal exam, said it was probably just a hemmoriod(I asked,"with that MUCH BLOOD?") she replied if it happens again go to ER or come in to the office. And thats my story, I am almost scared to go to the bathroom for fear this will happen again! Well keep good health, and thanks again Sarah! :-) God Bless Dove ^v^

Old 03-24-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
Unregistered

Hi Dove,

Glad it was a hemarrhoid and that the doc took it seriously.

Don't be scared. If you do get scared, then as the doc said, go to the ER or back to see her. You can buy hemarrhoid cream from a pharmacy and see if that helps. There is also the option of having hemarrhoids surgically removed too.

Anyway, take care.

Sarah

Old 04-11-2002, 05:22 PM   #5

JanieB HB User

Dear Dove,
I had the same experience a while back, mine was a pile...Hemmeroid.... It was very frightening and the stress made my bowel movements were made worse by the anxiety.....I always recommend seeing a doctor after any blood has been passed... Its always better to be safe than sorry, also get the doc to take blood samples as this will tell if you are still losing blood.... I hope that you get sorted you are not alone... With Regards JanieB

Old 04-11-2002, 05:46 PM   #6
Unregistered

Hi Dove,

As JanieB says you are not alone. I too have had ultrasounds and blood work done. In fact I am due to have another ultrasound of my belly tomorrow morning, after having severe belly pains for a couple of days and blood work that showed a high ESR.

It really is better to be save than sorry.

Take care

Sarah

Closed Thread