It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2002, 06:40 PM   #1

captd123 HB User
Feel like I'm losin my mind...

I haven't read the boards for awhile because nothing here seemed to work for me, but I feel like I'm at my wits end with IBS. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. Mine seems to be a little different then others I have read here, in that I am regular the majority of the time. It's just when I'm put in what I consider stressful situations that the big 'D' rears its head. Sometimes I can control it by simply taking Xanax an hour or so before when I know in advance of a situation where I know I will stress out. But I've come to the conclusion that its not actually the situations that cause the stress, its all the stress going through my head of being there and having the big 'D'. its hard to expain but I know you other IBSers will understand.
My major problem is Ive recently went back to school (the first week was hell on my stomach) but now Ive settled in and attend normally...except test days!! Extreme 'D'..and its kinda hard to be on xanax and take a test without gettin really tired about halfway through.....anyhow I was readin bout ppl eating yogurt and metamucil wafers and was wonderin if this is some new remedy back towards some sort of reality for ibsers........On a liter note I was thinkin that all us ibsers got together and named the locations of our frequened bathrooms, then cross country travel would not be a problem for any of us......lol..I say this only in jest of course, because I know that if your like me...you know where all the public bathrooms are in a 60 mile radius of your house..... Sorry I wrote so much, but Thanks for reading.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2002, 05:07 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: Feel like I'm losin my mind...

Hi,

No, yoghurt and Metamucil is not new. Metamucil is a water soluble fiber supplement and is safe to take on a daily basis. It adds bulk to your system and helps stop diarrhea and keeps you regular. Basically, a lot of people eat live yoghurt or Acidophilis caps, as this contains the good bacteria that the gut needs for normal functioning. With IBS symptoms, this good bacteria can become depleted and the above helps restore the balance.

There are a few good homeopathic remedies that you could try as well. These are safe to take and natural also.

Firstly, you say that you get anxious easily in anticipation of events. Well, there is a homeopathic remedy called Argentum Nitricum (Arg. Nit.) for short. This is extremely good for what is known as anticipatory anxiety of future events. Try taking it in a 30c potency for up to half an hour before the situation arises and you should find that you don't get the diarrhea at all and do not feel as anxious.

However, if you already have the diarrhea, then Arsenicum Album 30c is a very good remedy for diarrhea and belly pains. You don't need to have the belly pains though. It works well for just diarrhea. This can be taken every 15 mins to 30 mins until the diarrhea subsides.

Also, try relaxation techniques, and deep breathing exercises. Sit in a relaxed position with a stright back and empty your mind fully. Place your hands together on your lower belly and really let it relax. Undo your belt or buttons to allow for this. Now just sit and breathe really deeply from your belly rather than your chest. Practice this for about 10 mins and hopefully your breathing should be deeper and more regulated and your should feel very relaxed and able to continue with anything that you have to do.

Hope this helps?

Sarah

Old 03-25-2002, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: Feel like I'm losin my mind...

Hi, all. I hope you're all doing ok with IBS. Yes, it's a big pain in the (blank) - pun intended. I have finally been free of the big "D" for the last 6 weeks. I eat the metamucil wafers twice daily, take the Calcium pills twice daily too. However, the best thing that's changed everything for me is taking 2 Colestid every morning. I have formed stools (large ones!) like never before. Colestid is prescribed for people with high cholesterol (which I don't have), but it's been shown to work in people with chronic diarrhea (especially "D" after meals) because it forms a resin in the stomach and binds to liver bile during the digestive process and causes constipation in most people. For people like me who've lived with the agony and embarrassment of IBS for over 20 years, this medicine has been a godsend. I found out about it on a different message board for IBS, went to my doc, and convinced him to let me try it. I don't know if it will work for others, but between fiber, calcium, and now Colestid, I feel like a new woman, and don't have to map out every bathroom everywhere I go. No "D" during my period either - which is a miracle! Good luck to others and hope you find a remedy that works for you!

Katie G

Closed Thread