It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2002, 06:41 AM   #1

drmcdwl HB User
herbal remedies

Good Morning. Having suffered with IBS for over 20 years, I have tried the conventional "cures", non e of which have worked...big surprise. I have not jumped into the herbal remedy field, yet, but I think this will be my next step. Does anyone have any advice, cure stories ( I can hope), or other input? Alot of what I have read about herbal remedies has made sense, and the Chinese have been doing it for thousands of years. Any thoughts?

Thanks from the newbie.

Donna

Old 07-02-2002, 09:34 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: herbal remedies

Let me recommend a book that should help. It
offers an herbal regimen for a cure. The Detox Solution by
Patricia Fitzgerald for $19.95. My wife had IBS when we met. Through diet changes she now rarely gets an episode.
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 07-04-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2002, 04:03 PM   #3
Unregistered

Western herbal medicine, homeopathy and Chinese herbal medicine can all help IBS.

However, it is best to seek advice about this from properly qualified practitioners, especially with Chinese herbal medicine.

Acupuncture is very good too, if you are not to scared of needles!!

Old 07-03-2002, 09:58 AM   #4

drmcdwl HB User

Thanks for the posts. Over the past few years, I have started thinking that my condition is related to hormones,ie. estrogen, progesterone, seratonin, and other little controllers. I may be way off the mark, but I have done the diet change, had the test for sprue, been to an chiropractor who specializes in N.A.E.T. for allergies etc. The ONLY thing that has ever helped me is loperamide. that just stops everything. I was on the pill about 20 years ago and I seem to remember that I did ok on that too. I may try that one again. I'm really curious about seratonin and its effects...Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Donna

Old 07-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #5
Unregistered

Hi,

Yes, Serotonnin is quite a well known link with stomach problems. Basically, it is one of the 'feel good factor' chemicals and does affect the gut. Lack of serotonnin is know to cause depression in some cases and is also a contributory factor in IBS symptoms.

Before using Immodium - yes is does stop diarrhea, but long term use can cause constipation, please try the homeopathic remedies Arsenicum or Nux Vomica that could work just as well to stop your diarrhea and stomach problems. Also, think very carefully before going back on the pill as in some cases, it can cause more problems than it solves.

Good luck

Sarah

Old 07-07-2002, 08:39 AM   #6

drmcdwl HB User

Sarah:

Thanks for the note. I had a feeling about the seratonin. What next with that? I only take the immodium before I travel. I have had a prescription of 100 since last July and I probably have 80+ left. What can you tell me about the two herbal remedies that you spoke of? How can I research them and where do I get them?

Donna
Thanks again for the info.

Old 07-07-2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

These remedies are Homeopathic remedies and are sold at most health food stores. Both are very common remedies.

Harry

Old 07-08-2002, 12:24 PM   #8
Unregistered

Hi,

As Harry says, these are two common homeoapthic remedies. You can get mini materia medicas and look up the remedies in them if you wish to. The Arsenicum and or the Nux Vomica should help your stomach, but if you want something for anxiety, Arg. Nit is quite good and is recommended for anticipatory anxiety.

Basically, you need to try and decrease your stress levels. Hopefully, if you reduce stress, the diarrhea may settle too. Could help the amount of chemicals produced. You need to try Yoga, deep breathing exercises and something like Qi Gong meditations exercises. This will really help you relax and make you feel more grounded also relaxes the muscles in your belly too.

Good luck.

Sarah

Old 07-11-2002, 06:40 PM   #9

drmcdwl HB User

Sarah:

What is Arsenicum and where does one find it? Also, you suggested two other homeopatic remedies, what are their claims to fame? I like to know everything there is to know about meds and remedies. I must admit, I am ready to try almost anything at this point.

Thanks.

Donna

Old 07-12-2002, 04:39 PM   #10
Unregistered

Ok, Arsenicum Album is Arsenic in potency. Don't worry, taken in a 30c potency it does not contain any molecule of the actual substance so cannot do you any harm. Basically, if you have food poisoning such as burning and severe stomach pains with diarrhea and vomiting and a feeling of fearfulness, then it is worth trying some Arsenicum, as this matches the symptoms of Arsenic poisoning.

Nux Vomica is basically poison nut, but again is not harmful as it is in potency. It is very good for all sorts of cramping stomach pains that are severe and is also good if you are feeling unwell after eating and drinking alcohol to excess. it is commonly referred to as the hangover remedy.

Lastly, Arg. Nit. or Argentum Nitricum is Nitrate of Silver and has an affinity for the mind and nerves and is very good for anticipatory anxiety of any sort. It is good for all ailments from anticipation such as diarrhea.

As Harry says, you should be able to get these remedies from heath stores in either a 6c or a 30c.

Hope this helps?

Sarah

Closed Thread