It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2002, 08:15 PM   #1

jcorley HB User
I need help and reassurance!

I have been dealing with loose stools (2-3 per day) for over a month. Recently in the past two weeks it worsened and I ended up in bed and at the hospital for fluids. They did all the blood tests and everything came out fine. HELP!!!!! The doctor put me on lomotil and antibiotics. I finished the antibiotics and decreased the lomitil and the loose stools came back. I'm weak, and get nauseated when I have to go. I don't know what to do or where to turn. Everytime I call the doctor's office they tell me to just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm afraid I'll get addicted to the lomotil and end up worse. Can anyone please help me?

Old 04-12-2002, 07:56 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: I need help and reassurance!

Hi,

If you have had lots of tests that have come back ok, then there is the possibility that you have IBS or some food allergies.

Do you have any pains in your stomach when you have diarrhea? Do you eat dairy and have you noticed any connection between the food you eat and any stomach pains and or diarrhea that you are having? You could keep a food diary if you need to.

It is also possible that you have had an infection in your gut, that the antibiotics will deal with. As for the diarrhea, I would suggest that you could try some Codeine Phosphate. This also controls diarrhea and you may get on better with this rather than Immodium.

Take some Acidophilis caps and live yoghurt. This I am sure will help as although you may have had a stomach virus and have finished the antibiotics, these in themselves destroy good bacteria in your gut. It should help the diarrhea.

If it does not improve, go back and see your doc and maybe ask for some allergy tests to be done.

Good luck and let us know how you get on?

Take care

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2002, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: I need help and reassurance!

Hi there - so sorry to hear of your problems. It's important to get a specific diagnosis from your doctor to rule out many gastro problems that cause diarrhea. If the doc comes up with a diagnosis of IBS (which is often the case if other tests don't reveal anything), there are some different things you can try to help your problem. You cannot cure IBS, but with some treatments, you can get relief from your troublesome symptoms. First off, try increasing your fiber intake either through diet or supplements like Metamucil, Fibercon, Citracel. I especially like the Metamucil wafers - they taste good, and you just have to be sure to drink plenty of fluid with them. Some readers on this board have gotten relief by taking Caltrate + D 2-3 times daily; the calcium has a constipating effect. However, the calcium only worked a short time for me, as did the increase in fiber. Although I have continued with fiber and calcium since my body needs these anyway, I got the greatest relief from taking Coletid. Your doc will have to prescribe this - it's actually a medication for high cholesterol, but has a constipating effect and I've been regular with it for the last 2 months.

I've had IBS, the "D" kind for 20+ years, but in the last 4-5 years, it has worsened considerably after gall bladder removal in '97, and anti-reflux surgery in 2001. I would have "D" all the time after meals, several times a day, and if it was really bad, sometimes I couldn't get to a bathroom in time. How embarrassing to have to leave work or be away from home and need a change of clothes! So after reading several posts on this board and others related to IBS, I tried the calcium, and then increased my fiber. Both remedies were short-lived, until I read information about "bile salt diarrhea" and taking Colestid (pill form) or Questran (powder form) which is a bile-binding resin that helps form stools for those with diarrhea. My doc has been treating my IBS for years, and he had never heard of this medication being used for "D", but was willing to give it a try. And so far for the last 2 months, I have not had one urgent, loose stool. Even when I had a stomach virus, I could still make it to the bathroom in time.

It's importatnt to have your doc rule out everything else before you start any kind of treatment for IBS, and what's working for me, may not work for anyone else. That's the aggrevating part of this condition. Hopefully others will respond to your messag and give you advice as well, that you can determine what's the best for you.

Good luck!
Katie G

Closed Thread