It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2002, 11:22 AM   #1

braidrunna HB User
Katie G, got a minute?

Heya! I went to the doctor and told him about my last post on this board and asked him about Colestid. He told me to try Dicyclomine first before he prescribed the other first. This medicine did not work so he gave me Colestid and told me to take it 30 minutes before eating. Well I'm doing that and it's still not working. I remember that you took your's in the morning. So I was wondering what dosage your Colestid is? Mine is 1 GM. Also how long did it take to you to notice a difference? Thanks!

Old 06-10-2002, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: Katie G, got a minute?

Hi, braidrunna. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - I've been on vacation, and just checked the message boards today.

I'm taking 2 Colestid (1 GM each) in the morning. I then wait for 30-60 minutes before eating - if I eat too soon after taking it I still get "D". This morning, I had 4 episodes of "D" for the first time in a long time (but I made to the BR in time), but I was stressing about something, and now I feel fine, so I'm sure things will straighten out by tomorrow.

I noticed the change for the better in about 2-3 days after starting it. The first thing I noticed (and I'm sorry to be graphic here) is that even though my stools were still very loose at first, they were more formed than the watery stuff I'd been having, and then as time went on, the stools became more & more formed.

I may still "go" several times a day, but until today, every time was formed after the first couple days of taking the pills. I think today was just a fluke, and am sure that all will be better by tomorrow. Hang in there - maybe you need to try 2, and give it about a week, and if that doesn't work, go back to your doc for a different approach.

Good luck to you and keep me posted!
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2002, 11:04 AM   #3

braidrunna HB User

Heya! I hope you had a good vacation! Let me ask you another question. After all the other meals you eat during the day, do you still feel the need to go to the bathroom about 30 minutes or so after you eat? I will definitely have to start doing the two pills in the morning.

Old 06-11-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hey again. Well this morning, I still had some loose stuff (only twice compared to 4 yesterday), but otherwise I feel fine. As far as the urge to go about 30 minutes after every meal - yes & no. Some days, yes the urge to go (especially after lunch) is there - and it may or may not result in anything actually happening. Sometimes, it's just gas. Other days, I will only go once in the morning (even before I eat) and that's it for the day. As long as I can get to a BR in time, I don't care if I have to go 50 times a day. The Colestid has really helped me with bowel control along with more formed stools. Incontinence is my biggest nightmare with IBS. Sorry to be so gross.

Write soon and good luck to you,
Katie

Old 06-11-2002, 01:02 PM   #5

braidrunna HB User

Thanks Katie! I'll start doing it in the morning and update you in about a week. Thank you so much for your help!

Closed Thread