It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2002, 07:08 PM   #1

Michelle820 HB User
Please help! :(

I am a 19 year old female and have been suffering from IBS since I was 3 years old. The symptoms have never been severe, usually just bad pain and diarreah once a week, I never thought much of it since it wasn't a major hindrance in my life. But about a month ago I started experiencing severe intestinal cramps with alternate bouts of diarreah and constipation. I just finished my second year of college and I think the end of the year stress is what brought it on. I began having panis attacks which seemed to accompany the IBS attacks. Let me jut tell you, there is nothing like having IBS while sharing a bathroom with 10 other people. It is horrible. But now that I am home, it has only gottn worse. I also have very bad lower back pain and I was wondering if that was something that comes along with having IBS? Also, I have had, not to sound too graphic or gross, but bood and mucous in my stool. I went to the DR. with this and he said everything was fine and waved it off as nothing. Is that also a symptom of IBS or could it be something worse? It has never been this bad before and because of it my life has completely stopped. I can't go anyhere or do anything and it seems like no one around me understands. It wasn't until I found this message board that I realized there are so many other people out there with the same symptoms and problems as I have. I have become so distressed and depressed over this I just stay home and cry all the time. If anybody can answer my questions or tips on how to cope with the mental stress, please tell me. Thanks everyone!

------------------
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2002, 03:31 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: Please help! :(

Hi hon,

Sorry to hear what you are going through at the moment.

Yes, it is possible that the back pain and IBS are related. It can be the same sort of stress and tension that you are holding in that causes the belly pain that can also cause the back pain.

If you have been constipated, then the blood in the stools could be that you have bleeding haemahhorids from straining too much trying to have your bowels open. Have you had bloods and a USS of your belly at the docs, or if not a USS has he examined your belly fully and done a rectal?

Do you eat a good all round diet with plenty of fruit, veg and carbs? You need to and also to drink plenty of fluid. If you are constipated then it is helpful to drink prune juice and start some Metamucil twice daily to help regulate your bowels. Your belly may be bloated at first, but stick with it and remember to increase your fluid intake with the metamucil. It is water soluble and safe to take.

It would also be worth your while eating some yogurt or taking some acidophilis caps. These will recolonate your gut with good bacteria. Keep them in the fridge, don't take them with hot drinks, heat kills bacteria and take them on an empty stomach for best effect. They could help your pain too.

To relax, I would recommend some Qi Gong meditation exercises. This encourages you to empty your mind and breathe more deeply from your belly rather than your chest, thus slowing down, emptying your mind and breathing deeply. You will feel more grounded and it will also help to relax your belly, thus helping the pain.

Try heat pads on your belly and back too.

Also to help relax, I would recommend acupuncture. This is extremely good for stress reduction and will help you sleep better if you have not been doing. It will help the pains in your belly as well and your bowels generally.

Homeopathy is helpful too and this could help with the symptoms.

If you have some mucus in your stools at present and the pains in your belly are worse than usual, then it could be that you have picked up a stomach virus. Keep drinking plenty of fluids and it should clear within a couple of days. The Acidophilis should help this though.

Hope this helps?

Take care

Sarah

Old 05-31-2002, 06:43 PM   #3

mcfadden4 HB User
Re: Please help! :(

Hi Michelle,

Yes, back pain is a symptom, but I would find another doctor and get his opinion on the blood in your stool. Even though it's probably not serious, I would have it checked out with a test, not just a guess.

Blessings!

Closed Thread