It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2002, 10:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Use of Colestid for diarrhea?

Hi, all. Just wondered something. Although I seem to have had fairly good success with use of Metamucil wafers to reduce my "D", I'm still having episodes of urgency after eating sometimes, and even incontinence if I can't find the bathroom in time.

I've been reading alot on the Internet about the use of Colestid or Questran for "bile salt diarrhea." I'm seeing my family doc this week to discuss whether I need to consider taking either of these (he's been treating me for IBS for a few years and is very encouraging in trying to deal with it). Has anyone else out there tried this medication and what kind of success (or lack of) did you have?

Thanks for your help,
Katie G

Old 02-12-2002, 08:02 PM   #2

angelababy HB User
Re: Use of Colestid for diarrhea?

hi,angelababy here..i'm on that powder questran and it does work but i noticed with me it will cayse gas for me any way...the other thing i don't like about it is u have to take it an hr after taking all other meds and no other meds till 5 or more hrs..after taking it because it binds.but get enough of it in ur system it does work

------------------
angelababy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2002, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, angelababy. Thanks for your info. What a pain to have to plan out how to fit in another med with all the other things we need to take. Oh, well - if it works, I'll try anything. Thanks again.

Katie G

Old 02-18-2002, 11:05 AM   #4

Shel HB User

Katie,

I had IBS- "D" type for 7 years and someone on this board recommended Caltrate 600 Plus. I have been taking it since October 1st and I have not had any episodes (except when I had the stomach bug). Have you tried taking any calcium supplements? I had IBS real bad, everyday, usually twice a day I would have a "D" episode. I feel like a new person. I take one pill with breakfast and one with dinner.

Just thought I would mention it. Good Luck.

Shel

Old 02-18-2002, 11:12 AM   #5

Shel HB User

Sorry Katie. I just read down further and discovered you already tried the calcium. I have heard some people say that it only worked short term. Ugh...the thought of living that way again is so depressing. Sorry I couldn't help.

Shel

Old 02-18-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Shel. Yeah, I've been taking the Caltrate for about 6 months now - it worked for about 3 weeks and then the "D" returned. I increased my fiber intake which also helped for awhile, but I still would get "urgency diarrhea" after meals - especially lunch. I've done a lot of reading about bile salt diarrhea, and how taking Colestid or Questran really helped people who suffer from this. I talked to my doc - who was willing to give it a try. So far, the Colestid has worked like a charm (but I've only been on it about a week). However, he's also talking about having a colonoscopy done sometime this summer just to rule out Crohn's disease. However, I don't have the other symptoms of Crohn's - just trouble with chronic diarrhea. I continue to take the calcium even though it didn't stop my "D" - I just figure that I need the extra calcium for my health. Thanks for your advice - hope the caltrate continues to work for you.

Katie G

Old 02-19-2002, 04:43 PM   #7
Inactive

DAELKIN HB User

I've suffered from IBS since highschool. It got worse after having my gallbladder out in 99 (very common to get "D" after having gallbladder removed) My doc. prescribed Questran, but it's horrible tasting . The colestid is like questran but in a pill form. I havn't tried that yet because I have been taking extra calcium with some success. Miss one day though and I pay!! You must take the questran/colestid with plenty of water otherwise you could cause a blockage.

Denise

Closed Thread