It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2001, 04:01 PM   #1

cherylmc2 HB User
Is this normal with IBS?

I am 30 yrs old and was diagnosed with Spastic Colon(IBS) about 3 years ago. At that time, I was having attacks at least 2-3 times a week. Since then, I am alot better. I don't have them very often because I've kinda figured out what foods make it come on. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has these same kind of attacks. Two weeks ago, Iwent to Jamaica for a week on vacation. I was very careful about what I ate because I have gall bladder problems as well and am going to have to have it removed(going to surgeon next week). I am taking Bentyl before each meal and at bedtime for my gall bladder but I know this is used for IBS attacks as well. Anyway,I was fine on the trip and have been home about a week. Over the last week, I noticed that my abdomen was somewhat bloated looking and I was a little constipated. Well, by last night, I looked like I was about 4 months pregnant and was having back pain and felt miserable. I exercise 3-4 times a week and am very careful about what i eat, in fact, I hadn't had anything except fruit and cottage cheese yesterday. I got on the scale and I was 9 pounds heavier than I was 2 weeks earlier,so I knew something was wrong.I called my sister,who is a Dr. and asked her if this could be the Bentyl causing this or could it have something to do with my gall bladder. She toldme she didn't think it was the medicine and that I should get some Dulcolax suppositories and I should feel better after a good bowel movement. Well, since I haven't had many attacks recently, I forgot how laxatives affect my system and I was so determined to have a bowel movement,I did it. Well, I was on and off the toilet for about 2 hours and was in the worst kind of pain. Every time I would pass a stool,the pain was unbearable. My stools were loose, but it felt like Iwas having to strain with each one.When this happens, I get sweaty and hot flashes and feel like I'm going to faint and when it is over, my lower back aches and I feel so worn out. It takes me a few hours to feel like I can even relax. After 3 hot baths and a heating pad on my back, I finally got to bed. Is this a classic case of IBS? I really feel like I am going to die when this is happening. I find myself on the toilet crying"God , please make it stop!" This can't be normal. I know it is my fault this time for bringing this on with a laxative,believe me,I won't do that again, but the constipation and bloating was awful.Before, the attacks were just the same, except they are usually brought on by eating something and I usually don't have this constipation before it happens, although the pain has always been this bad. Shouldn't the Bentyl be helping this? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2001, 11:30 PM   #2

UCPatient HB User
Re: Is this normal with IBS?

Have you had a colonoscopy? I would suggest getting one to rule out a bowel obstruction. I'm not real familiar with IBS, I have Ulcerative Colitis and was first diagnosed with IBS until a colonoscopy was done. Crohn's Disease can cause bowel obstruction and is very serious. I know someone who recently had a lot of pain and they found out that she had a bowel obstruction and it weighed 7 lbs.!

Closed Thread