It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
Question pain in upper stomach and under left rib cage

Hi - long time IBS sufferer. I recently though started getting discomfort in my upper stomach - I do not have typical GERD symptoms although my doctor said it could be. I was just tested for H-pylori and it was negative.

I also have FIBROMYALGIA. However, for the last few weeks I am getting a dull, uncomfortable feeling off and on in my upper stomach and then about 2-3 inches down right under my left rib cage. I am also having burning in my entire rib cage on the left and under my armpit area. Feels like a bad sunburn and my clothing hurts. Mind you, this is not a new sensation to me with the fibro - but this is the area that is affected right now. The most uncomfortable spot is like an inch or two to the left of my high upper stomach right there by the left rib. Starting to worry (yes I have alot of anxiety!!) about my pancreas or something.

Doctor wanted me to try Nexium, but I react horrible to all meds and hate taking them "just to try" to see if it works when I really don't know what I am taking it for!!!!

Does this sound familiar at all to any of you????? MaryAnn

Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

Stabevrian HB User
Re: pain in upper stomach and under left rib cage

Yes, I had this pain for a year and was just dx'd with celiac disease. Have you ever been tested for that? I still have the pain on and off, but have been gluten free for 2 months now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
(female)

ssdowden HB User

I completely get what you are saying. I have IBS and Fibro and I am having the same pain in the same place. No one wants to do a scan to make sure it is not the pancreas, they just tell me it is IBS symptoms. I have had IBS for over 40 years (back when they called it a spastic colon) and this is the first time I have had this pain. I have had it off and on now for about two years. It hasn't killed me yet, but I find that after riding in a car or sitting in certain positions sometmes makes it worse. Do you take meds for your fibro? I also have DDD in all of the discs in my neck (except for the one that was replaced in 1999 and it is perfectly normal). So I believe that my neck pain makes my fibro worse. It has started really affecting the bottoms of my feet and my hands. I feel 90 most days. I cannot take a lot of the fibro meds, so my doctor put me on Pristiq and then I take Savella for the cervical radiculapothy. It seems to help some, but when I have flares there is really nothing that really helps. So, I do get it. My favorite thing to say is I just have to salute and march on....

The following user gives a hug of support to ssdowden:
Twinkie50 (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
(female)

Smile Re: pain in upper stomach and under left rib cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdowden View Post
I completely get what you are saying. I have IBS and Fibro and I am having the same pain in the same place. No one wants to do a scan to make sure it is not the pancreas, they just tell me it is IBS symptoms. I have had IBS for over 40 years (back when they c***ed it a spastic colon) and this is the first time I have had this pain. I have had it off and on now for about two years. It hasn't killed me yet, but I find that after riding in a car or sitting in certain positions sometmes makes it worse. Do you take meds for your fibro? I also have DDD in *** of the discs in my neck (except for the one that was replaced in 1999 and it is perfectly normal). So I believe that my neck pain makes my fibro worse. It has started re***y affecting the bottoms of my feet and my hands. I feel 90 most days. I cannot take a lot of the fibro meds, so my doctor put me on Pristiq and then I take Savella for the cervical radiculapothy. It seems to help some, but when I have flares there is re***y nothing that re***y helps. So, I do get it. My favorite thing to say is I just have to salute and march on....
Thank you for replying !!! I origin***y posted that post 2 years ago and I sit here 2 years later with the same problem and still worrying its my pancreas. I too was diagnosed with ibs back when it was a "spastic colon". But my IBS symptoms started changing about 3 years ago. Last year I was tested for celiac by blood test and endoscopy and was negative. I also had stool testing done because 18 months ago my stools (sorry to be gross) started ALWAYS floating; sticky and hard to flush and smelled re***y bad which I had never had before with IBS. My stool testing was negative for parasites but positive for split fats. It looks sometimes like an oil slick in the toilet around my bowel movements. I feared pancreatic cancer so badly - two GI doctors and my regular GP just chuckled and said "Oh you don't have that" ...None of them have thus far ran a CT of my abdomen on me just to check. I also had an abd. ultrasound which was negative. They were able to see most of my pancreas during the ultrasound and it appeared normal. Then the GI doc gave me a breath test and I tested positive for sm*** intestinal bacterial overgrowth. I have been on xifaxan 4 times in a year and I feel like wonder woman on the antibiotic and then as soon as it stops, it comes back eventu***y within a month or two. I just decided to go gluten free a few months ago which has helped some but its not gone. I was re-tested again for the SIBO after 3 rounds of xifaxan and the breath test numbers were higher than the first time???????? I cannot live on antibiotics though and I have tried 3 kinds of probiotics and they make me WORSE. This, along with my Fibro makes life tough somedays as I am sure you can attest. I hope you see my post and respond. You sound very similar to me!!! I take Trazodone at night for my fibro - helps me sleep. I cannot tolerate *** these NEW meds. I also have many ***ergies to meds so I am always hesitant to try new things. The commercials for these new meds scare the heck out of me with *** those awful side effects!!!!!! I take 800mg motrin on bad days and when I can afford it , I get deep massage. Thank you...MaryAnn

Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
(female)

why do *** my a l l 's look like *** ????? !!!!!!!!!

Reply Reply