It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #46
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User
Re: How do I solidify loose stools?!

Eat bananas! lots, they will raise your potassium (low potassium can give you a heart attack by the way), but bananas absorb liquid in the bowel and intestined as it travel, reducing watery stool and adding bulk to the stool. bread also can dry up stools. My son is prone to constipation so I rarely give him sandwiches for school. maybe try rye bread even, its pretty dense. otherwise a few spoonfools of cornflour in 1/4 cup of water is an old remedy for diareoh, and is something u can do every day...goodluck.

The following user gives a hug of support to nightingale00:
Meadowsweet33 (06-23-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to nightingale00 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #47
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowsweet33 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm asking what has been asked many times before. I'm looking for a cure for loose stools. I don't have any pain, or any urgency to use the toilet during the day or night. It's just that each morning, nearly every day for 12 years my stools are very very loose, sometimes watery like diarrhea, depending on what I've eaten.

I've recently had a hair analysis test done and my potassium levels are so low they can't be measured - which I'm guessing is due to 12 years of loose stools. I also have thyroid nodules, which may or may not be related to the bowel problem. Excuse the graphics - sometimes my stools hold shape but when they do they are still soft and very thin, like pencil thin, or flattish and tapery. Other times it's like cow dung in texture! :-0 The colour is most often yellow. It is 12 years since I've had a nice brown movement (sorry about this, I'm blushing here )!

I'm not on any medication. I tried psyllium husk for a couple of days but it didn't do anything. Maybe I need to increase the amount? I've also just started acidophillus capsules, 1 with each meal, and an enzyme and HCL supplement. But after 3 or 4 days there's still no improvement. Any suggestions for natural remedies would be appreciated. Thank you.
Citrucel or Metamucil will bulk up your stools but try taking it 3 times a day and make sure you follow it by another 8 oz. glass of water after each dose. Eat whole grains found in breads and cereals, eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables,nuts,beans and legumes. It can take a week or so of eating high fiborous foods to bulk up your stools but also make sure you drink at least 64 oz. a day of water so the fiber supplements and food don't just stay put in your gut too long.If you go more than 3 days without a bowel movement after eating a high fiber diet that means you're not drinking enough water. Your colon must have enough water in it all times as this helps the stool to move along the colon smoothly or your stool would stick to the side walls of the colon and then you would get a bowel obstruction because nothing would be able to pass through that's why it is so important to drink water. Our bodies have more water in it than blood and organs. My CNA's clinical instructor famous saying is "Drink water because it's good for what ails you!"

The following user gives a hug of support to flipfleury:
The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #48
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Thanks for your reply Flipfleury. Will definately research Citrucel and Metamucil. Best wishes to you. Meadowsweet.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #49
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi meadowsweet,
How are things going with the Fodmap diet and how is your
health now. I remain much the same. Solofelix.
Hello, Sorry for the delay in replying. I've only just come across your post. Everyone's replies usually come straight to my email box on my home PC, but this one didn't. Well, it's swings and roundabouts. One day I had a wonderful BM, best one in years, it was normal in size, texture and colour, but the next day things were back to mush. I'm supposed to keep a record of everything I eat, but you have to be so disciplined and I never got round to recording everything I ate the day before the wonderful BM. Though I do remember I had a small portion of home made fish (shallow fried in corn flour) and chips for tea. I'm trying hard to stick to the fodmap diet, but I do well all day, then have one or two forbidden things like a couple of choccie biccies. Somehow I have to get more disciplined about it. I've been on kefir for the last 3 days which is forbidden ... but one afternoon, again, the BM was firm -small pellets (scuse the graphics) but firm nontheless - which is brilliant for me. I'm on a few forums for health issues and on one of them one chap was saying that his wife had a glass of kefir (maybe a pint a day, I can't remember) every day for a year and after a year her stools returned to normal after many years of IBS. She didn't change anything else in her diet except to add the kefir.

It seems that some people's IBS is caused by a lack of healthy gut bacteria, which kefir can supply. Other people's problems are caused by parasites apparently, which grapefruit seed extract or walnut oil can rectify. Other people's problems are caused by an inability to digest fructose properly etc ... so finding out the initial problem could take some time. Hope you find a cure. :-)

Last edited by Meadowsweet33; 06-23-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #50
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

P.S.

I've just been doing a bit more research on this metamucil and realise that it's another name for psyllium husks. This has led me to all sorts of information about the need for people with IBS-Diarrhoea to increase the amount of soluble fibre in the diet (which includes white bread and rice). This is new information to me and looks interesting. I have some psyllium husk in the cupboard so I'm going to start taking that along with increasing soluble fibre from food. I tried the psyllium husk before but only took around 1 teaspoon a day for 2 days, will now try 1 teaspoon x 3 daily for a week or so ...

I came across another site about how to eat right for IBS and the web owner advised abstaining from dairy because it's difficult to digest the fat.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #51
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Meadowsweet, Good to hear how things are going with your diet. Are you feeling the benefits now. I left of Dairy Milk and have gone onto Rice Milk. I must say its quite pleasant to take as I really disliked Soya Milk. Still trying to eat as healthy as poss, but slip up every so often like this morning when I saw creme Easter eggs at giveaway price right at the check out. Just past midday and I have failed pitifully again Ahh...
About the Fibre, really not sure how its really meant to work. At the Hospital last week mt Consultant told me (Yet Again) to increase my Fibre intake because of my Diverticulitis and BINGO!! I'm now constipated. I'm going from one to the other like a YO YO... anyhow Good Luck to all fellow sufferers, Solofelix.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #52
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Quote:
Hi Meadowsweet, Good to hear how things are going with your diet. Are you feeling the benefits now. I left of Dairy Milk and have gone onto Rice Milk. I must say its quite pleasant to take as I really disliked Soya Milk. Still trying to eat as healthy as poss, but slip up every so often like this morning when I saw creme Easter eggs at giveaway price right at the check out. Just past midday and I have failed pitifully again Ahh...
About the Fibre, really not sure how its really meant to work. At the Hospital last week mt Consultant told me (Yet Again) to increase my Fibre intake because of my Diverticulitis and BINGO!! I'm now constipated. I'm going from one to the other like a YO YO... anyhow Good Luck to all fellow sufferers, Solofelix.
Hi Solofelix,

Your self discipline sounds about the same level as mine! Never mind, we press on. Constipated? That must feel like a dramatic change, I've heard that when someone is taking extra fibre, including supplements like metamucil etc, they're supposed to increase their water intake, otherwise they could end up constipated. Keep trying gal ... we'll get there in the end. :-)

Last edited by Meadowsweet33; 06-23-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #53
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hello Solofelix, hello everyone else who might read this. I have good news to share! For the last 4 weeks I have had firm BM daily. Yipeeeee! This is in contrast to 12 years of mush and slop like cow dung. My cure? Kefir. On Saturday 9th July 2011 I started drinking homemade milk kefir, fermented for 48 hours. I drink half a cup, three times a day, once with each meal. The change in my stools is miraculous. Some days the stools are normal sausage shaped, the size and width that I used to have back in 1999, other days it's a bit thinner, but much fatter than a pencil width. Around 4 pencil widths I'd estimate. Anyway, to have firm movements is wonderful. I feel as though my body must now be digesting nutrients properly. I read on a well known kefir website that if you leave your kefir to ferment for 48 hours it will give you constipation ... well, I thought if it firms up your stools that much I'll give it a try. It hasn't constipated me, but it has firmed things up lovely. Evidently my insides have been short of healthy bacteria. I've tried lactose free diets, gluten free diets, salicylate free diets, glucamine, the SCD diet. Nothing worked, but the kefir worked within one day. I eat all food as normal: fruit, gluten and milk. The only days it has been loose is when I take magnesium supplements which is a known laxative.

Well, I finally found an answer to the question I first posed here many months ago, did anyone have an answer for curing loose stools. I guess I'll be signing off now. Think I'll make a new post for anyone else looking for a cure for loose stools. Solofelix, hope you find an answer to your problems. Best wishes to you. Meadowsweet

Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #54
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Meadowsweet,
Good to hear from you and your good health report. I'm still alternating between normal and Diarrhea but the D is nothing like as bad as it was.
I tried the Kefir myself. I met a lady in a cafe who specialized in Health Foods, it was her Cafe and she had genuine Kefir in bottles on sale, delivered directly from a farm.
I bought a bottle to try absolutely disliked it and it finished up down the sink.
It ruined the taste of my porridge and tea.
I have now switched to Goats Milk, will see how things go with that.
I did put a thread on the Candida site titled (Candida and Kefir) you might find it, it wasn't long ago, I got no replies. Perhaps you could try similar on the Digestive site, it would be interesting to see what answers you might get.
I hope you keep well and all the best, Solofelix.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #55
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hi,

I understand you can buy kefir for fermenting sugar water which can be added to fruit smoothies to disguise the taste. You get the same probiotics but without quite so pokey a flavour. Best wishes to you too. Meadowsweet. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Meadowsweet33 For This Useful Post:
solofelix (08-05-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #56
(female)

blondeness032 HB User

I had the same problem for years! I was pretty much stuck at home. I finally tried a probiotic called Florify from a company called Meleluca and now I have "normal" bowel movements, I am also doing gluten-free foods. It is hard to keep tabs on everything I eat that has gluten, but I am learning. I went to a grocery store called whole foods because they have a variety of gluten-free bakery and food. They even have gluten-free chocolate donuts! The only problem is the expense.Occasionally if I eat the wrong things I get a little bit of tummy problems but nothing like before. And I have noticed the bloating is going away, as long as I don't eat something with gluten.

Last edited by blondeness032; 08-12-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #57
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeness032 View Post
I had the same problem for years! I was pretty much stuck at home. I finally tried a probiotic called Florify from a company called Meleluca and now I have "normal" bowel movements, I am also doing gluten-free foods. It is hard to keep tabs on everything I eat that has gluten, but I am learning. I went to a grocery store called whole foods because they have a variety of gluten-free bakery and food. They even have gluten-free chocolate donuts! The only problem is the expense.Occasionally if I eat the wrong things I get a little bit of tummy problems but nothing like before. And I have noticed the bloating is going away, as long as I don't eat something with gluten.
Glad to hear you found an answer. I'll take a look at Florify as it's a bit monotonous having to drink half a cup of kefir before each meal, plus I've discovered that people with a high calcium intake need much more magnesium in proportion. I'm hoping that once the good bacteria has colonized my gut I can drastically reduce my intake of kefir. I read about one lady with severe colitis, and it took a year and half of drinking kefir daily before she was cured of the blood, mucus and pain. I seem to be OK with gluten, but my BMs are softer if I eat lots of sugary things and orange juice. I'm still experimenting at the moment, but even having soft stools which hold a loose sausage shape ('scuse the graphics) is better than a pile of sloppy mush. :-/ Best wishes to you. :-)

Last edited by Meadowsweet33; 08-13-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #58
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Quote:
Hi Meadowsweet33,
JJ replied to us both recomending Probiotics for our bowel condition.
I have been taking them and also Probiotic Yogurt daily for over two years and cant say they have helped in any way for me (maybe others).
Hope it works for you .
Good Luck, Solofelix.
Hi Solofelix,

I'm just reading through these old posts and it's dawned on me that not all probiotics are created equally!!! Some of the acidipollus (?spelling) sold in health shops are very weak, and the type found in yoghurt isn't very strong either. Two members who joined this conversation were both cured by taking what sounds like quite powerful probiotics. (Kefir also contains literally billions more beneficial probiotics than yoghurt, and that helped to solidify me.) I know you don't like kefir, but maybe a powerful probiotic pill would help you? The two mentioned by the other members are Florify by Meleluca and Acidophillus by a brand called Schiff. I'm going to try one of them myself as I'm getting fed up of having to drink kefir every day!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #59
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowsweet33 View Post
Hi Solofelix,

I'm just reading through these old posts and it's dawned on me that not all probiotics are created equally!!! Some of the acidipollus (?spelling) sold in health shops are very weak, and the type found in yoghurt isn't very strong either. Two members who joined this conversation were both cured by taking what sounds like quite powerful probiotics. (Kefir also contains literally billions more beneficial probiotics than yoghurt, and that helped to solidify me.) I know you don't like kefir, but maybe a powerful probiotic pill would help you? The two mentioned by the other members are Florify by Meleluca and Acidophillus by a brand called Schiff. I'm going to try one of them myself as I'm getting fed up of having to drink kefir every day!

Hi Meadowsweet,
I am taking a Probiotic in powder form as I cant swallow tablets.
My health shop told me it was a really good one.
You take just 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per day and it contains. ( Acidophilus,
Lactobacillus and Bifidus ). I am now on RICE MILK. Bowels are much better
but I feel a lot of my problem is Candida. Its so hard to stick with the diet and I often fail. Solofelix.

The following user gives a hug of support to solofelix:
Meadowsweet33 (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #60
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Quote:
Hi Meadowsweet,
I am taking a Probiotic in powder form as I cant swallow tablets.
My health shop told me it was a really good one.
You take just 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per day and it contains. ( Acidophilus,
Lactobacillus and Bifidus ). I am now on RICE MILK. Bowels are much better
but I feel a lot of my problem is Candida. Its so hard to stick with the diet and I often fail. Solofelix.
Oakie doakie. All the best.

Closed Thread