It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User
How do I solidify loose stools?!

Hello, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm asking what has been asked many times before. I'm looking for a cure for loose stools. I don't have any pain, or any urgency to use the toilet during the day or night. It's just that each morning, nearly every day for 12 years my stools are very very loose, sometimes watery like diarrhea, depending on what I've eaten.

I've recently had a hair analysis test done and my potassium levels are so low they can't be measured - which I'm guessing is due to 12 years of loose stools. I also have thyroid nodules, which may or may not be related to the bowel problem. Excuse the graphics - sometimes my stools hold shape but when they do they are still soft and very thin, like pencil thin, or flattish and tapery. Other times it's like cow dung in texture! :-0 The colour is most often yellow. It is 12 years since I've had a nice brown movement (sorry about this, I'm blushing here )!

I'm not on any medication. I tried psyllium husk for a couple of days but it didn't do anything. Maybe I need to increase the amount? I've also just started acidophillus capsules, 1 with each meal, and an enzyme and HCL supplement. But after 3 or 4 days there's still no improvement. Any suggestions for natural remedies would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: How do I solidify loose stools?!

Hi There,
You are not alone. I have exactly the same problem for the past three years. First thing in the morning after my cuppa tea, straight to the loo and Whoosh (like gas excaping) followed by a dark loose or Diareah type movement, Never solid, this happens only in the morning. Other times the movement is pencil thin and like ribbon. I'm on no medication as most do not agree with me. Endoscopys and Colonoscopys done two years ago revealed small Hiatal Hernia and Diverticulitis requiring no surgery. I eat a healthy diet and do not smoke or drink.
Hope someone can can advice us both,
Best Wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hi Solofelix,

Good to hear I'm not on my own, but sorry to hear about your problem. I'll keep checking into the forum to see if anyone can help us. I once read on the internet about a chap who had severe IBS. It was so bad he had to stop working, in fact I think he was practically on the verge of dying, he was so ill. He got cured by going to a fasting clinic. During the 8 weeks or so that he fasted his body had chance to heal itself. When he was weaned back onto solid foods, his stools were back to normal. I can't remember his name, but I don't fancy going down the 8 week fasting route anyway.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hello Meadowsweet33,
If I went down that route, I Would disappear altogether. I've lost a stone as it is and I was thin before that.
I see my consultant in April. Will see what he recommends. Will keep in touch with you regarding this. I have a Hiatal Hernia and Diverticulitis so this may have something to do with it, we will see.
I'm sure were not alone with this.
Take Care and Best Wishes.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hi,

Some people claim to have cured their condition with either Apple Cider Vinegar or Grapeseed Juice. You might be interested in taking a look. Hope all goes well with your hospital appointment. Best wishes to you too and take care.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-29-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I went through almost 2 years of constant Diarrhea, sometimes up to 5 times a day...EXHAUSTED! I went through every test you can imagine with no answer as luckily everything was so-called normal..happy for that at least.

Both GI and PCP told me to take a Probiotic Acidophilus, I like the Schiff brand, small tiny pill that doesn't need to be put in fridge. It took almost 3 weeks for things to improve..but thrust me, they sure did....

Now that I am 99% on track I only take one pill every other day, as they can cause Diarrhea if taken too often. Hubby will take one for a few days if he gets constipated. It was a VERY slow healing, but glad to be back to normal.

Good luck...JJ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Meadowsweet33 (03-23-2011), solofelix (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ,
Thanks for reply. I take a probiotic in powder form which you can add to your drinks or food. (It's a good one) I also eat lots of Probiotic yogurt. Have done this since I had treatment for H.Pylori. I suffer a lot of Gerd symptoms and also have Diverticlitis and small Hiatal Hernia so that might have some bearing.
I see my Consultant in April and will check this out with him.
Solofelix.

The following user gives a hug of support to solofelix:
JJ (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hello JJ,

Many thanks for your reply and advice. I do appreciate it. I've started on Acidophillus, I didn't think it was working as it's been a week now and there's no sign of any change ... but if it took 3 weeks for you to see a difference, then I'll keep at it, even for a couple of months if necessary. Thanks again. M. :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to Meadowsweet33:
JJ (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

solofelix..Ok so you do have some medical issues which might explain your problem. Hubby had a case of Diverticulitis once and it really was painful for him. They also think he has a Hiatal hernia too, poor guy seems to get everything. They told us this when he had a mild heart attack this past Nov.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had all the answers? I swear this guessing game with so many Drs. etc. can make you nuts. Like I said, I had to research my own way of eating etc. to figure things out, as the poor Drs. did everything they could but we just weren't hitting the nail on the head. I really hope things get better, so please keep us posted, we might learn something too.

All the best....JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
solofelix (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Meadowsweet33,
JJ replied to us both recomending Probiotics for our bowel condition.
I have been taking them and also Probiotic Yogurt daily for over two years and cant say they have helped in any way for me (maybe others).
Hope it works for you .
Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Meadowsweet... Yes I'll be honest, after hubby went and bought a big bottle of the pills, as he couldn't find a small one to experiment with, I was like...Oh-oh, more money down the drain!.... Like you, it really didn't have much of an affect on me the first week and a half. Yes I had a few good days but not as many as I had expected. Was sooo sick of trying so many things.

Dr. told me I could take 2 day if needed, so I jumped it up for a few days and then did notice a difference. As soon as I felt comfortable enough that they WERE working, I went back to one a day. Now it's one every other day.

I truly hope they work for you, it sure changed my life. Yes I still get flares every so often, but one day compaired to 24/7 I can live with...

Keep me posted, and all the best of luck...JJ...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BTW ladies...my Drs. instructed my husband to make sure he bought a Probiotic Acidophlus...not yogarts etc. And Schiff is the one I really like as it is a tiny pill, inexpensive and doesn't need to be shoved in the fridge.

Have a happy day...JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 03-23-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: As usual...Spelling!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

1. Take a dose of Cellulone every day

2. Take Immodium (loperamide) in a dose that gives you 1-2 comfortable, formed bowel actions a day, the dose will probably lay between 1 and 4 tablets daily.

Costco sell bottles of 400 pills for about 10 dollars btw

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
solofelix (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 AM   #14
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Hello JJ, thanks again. If I've no joy soon I'll up the dose, and if there's still no joy I'll try the Schiff brand you mention. I've also ordered some kefir grains as, you'll probably know, the good bacteria in kefir milk is supposed to colonize the gut. Will definately post any success stories. :-)

P.S. thanks for the hug!

Last edited by Meadowsweet33; 03-24-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a P.S.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #15
(female)

Meadowsweet33 HB User

Mmm, never heard of cellulone before. Will definately do some more research on your suggestions if the probiotics don't work. Thanks for your contribution. :-)

Closed Thread