It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
(female)

Ren1021 HB User
Unhappy Sibo

Does anybody have SIBO? I'm just not sure what to do with myself anymore. I currently am not seeing a GI due to lack of health insurance, although my last one didn't really help other than to tell me what I have. She told me taking a course of antibiotics might help me, but otherwise there was nothing she could do to help. The antibiotics, which now I forget what kind they were, did not help me. I find that if I stick to a VERY limited diet of meats, rice and rice products, oats, some veggies and some fruits, I'm ok. I tend to stray, because it is so limited. The past week I've felt really bad symptoms, but I have been eating breakfast from a local deli. I'm not sure if it was the eggwhites, or if maybe they use dairy in making their eggs. I feel so limited and even though I am overweight, malnourished. If I need to take pills all day long, I will! I just have no idea what to take! If i'm taking probiotics, do I still need to eat the limited diet? Is there a way to wipe out the bacteria and then replace the good bacteria? I've seen that enteric coated peppermint caps can help, but again, do I have to eat like a freak still? If so, what's the point? Some advice or experiences from others will be so helpful! And maybe someone might know the answer to this. Grapes are usually a no no food for SIBOers due to fructose or whatever the hell the reason is... why can I drink wine??? I think that is the only thing saving my life right now LOL.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
(female)

hsmomof6 HB User
Re: Sibo

I'm sorry you are suffering with this, it's truly a horrible experience. I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but I'm pretty sure I have SIBO. All the tests for other things have come back negative so far. I had stool tests done at my last GI visit, but I haven't gotten those results yet. I have bloating, gas, stools ranging from constipation to watery diarrhea, abdominal pain, sleep disturbance, fatigue, and weight loss of 40 pounds when this first started (it's been 9 months of this up and down). I really think it's SIBO because I got better 3 times in the 9 months, once after my colonoscopy (the prep sweeps all the bad bacteria out), and twice when I was on amoxicillin for sinus symptoms. At that time we didn't have any clue what it might be, so no one was looking for SIBO. It is my understanding that once you've got the bacteria killed with antibiotics, you should follow the low-carb diet until the gut has had time to heal. I've seen it suggested to stick with it for up to a year. I've also read conflicting information on probiotics, some for and some against. Dr. Pimentel, author of A New IBS Solution believes that you should not put bacteria into a digestive system that is already having issues with bacterial overgrowth. I've seen some people online who have had success using grapefruit seed extract and ginger following their antibiotics, along with L-glutamine to rebuild the gut's ability to defend itself. There are some naturally oriented web sites that suggest using the grapefruit seed extract and ginger as a stand-alone treatment, but that it takes longer to work than antibiotics (up to 6 months of treatment was suggested). I am hoping to get my GI to order the hydrogen breath test for me so I can actually get a diagnosis and go from there. I hope you find something that will help. The restrictive diet is really the pits. I am so sick of eating this way and it's only been a few months.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

boodle2 HB Userboodle2 HB User

I have been diagnosed with sibo, I did the antibiotics and they helped for awhile then back came the gas which is my worst symptom! I also am taking a probiotic which I believe helps alittle and I did take peppermint capsules and they also helped but I can never remember to take them because you have to take them 1/2 hour before you eat, but I know that you should cut back on simple sugars and carbohydrates which is hard because I love pasta, I am ready to go back for another treatment of antibiotics. Diet has alot to do with sibo and stress also. Anyway don't give up, there is help!!

The Following User Says Thank You to boodle2 For This Useful Post:
Art103 (01-27-2012)
Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

momhmmx2 HB User

After several years of trying to figure out what was wrong with me GI wise, I saw a new practitioner in my doctor's office who suggested I have SIBO. I had already cut out all Gluten products as a trial and am pretty sure I have an intolerance to the stuff as my bloating and flatulence went down by about 75% after doing this, but still things weren't right and Hence the SIBO theory.

She said based on my symptoms for at least 4 years she thinks it is SIBO and put me on a 14 day course of 1000mg of Xifaxin. After finishing I felt almost back to normal (although it's been so long to know what normal really feels like) Now, 7 days later I'm back to feeling like I need to use the bathroom all the time, bloating, flatulence etc... My doctor warned me that this might happen and I may need to go back on the medication for an extended period of time and to just call her office and she would call it in. That's what I'm waiting for now.

I just ordered Dr. Pimentel's book. I'm curious about the long term eradication of this problem and specifically about diet.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-29-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
(female)

hsmomof6 HB User

Yes, I haven't read a lot of actual success in getting rid of it for good. Of course, I guess if you successfully treated it, you're not going to be hanging out on message boards.

My GI office does not treat SIBO with antibiotics, just probiotics. If my test comes back positive (I just had it Tuesday and hope to get the results Monday at my appontment), then I'll be looking for another doctor to actually treat this stuff.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User

I was treated for SIBO, Small Bowel Intestional Bacteria Overgrowth with Xifaxin 550 mg 3x's daily for 2 weeks. 3 months later I repeated the treatment. Feeling much better. I was initially diagnosed with FM, Fructose Malabsorption and am adhearing to the low Fodmap Diet as well.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefloats36 View Post
I was treated for SIBO, Small Bowel Intestional Bacteria Overgrowth with Xifaxin 550 mg 3x's daily for 2 weeks. 3 months later I repeated the treatment. Feeling much better. I was initially diagnosed with FM, Fructose Malabsorption and am adhearing to the low Fodmap Diet as well.
I have been under treatment for sibo since Oct. 2011. I have had IBS for over 25 years and I think, now that I am familiar with the symptoms, sibo for about 3-4 years.

I was also tested by endoscopy and bloodwork for celiac's, pt/ptt, vit K and a regular blood-screening - all of which were negative. I also had stool testing - negative on parasites but positive on fecal fat.

I am on my third round of xifaxan in 6 months. The first time I took it (550mg twice daily) I got relief the first two days!!! Once off - the symptoms were back in a month....then I was put back on same regimen for 14 more days. When I finished, I met with my GI's nutritionist and started a probiotic (not sure if that helped or made things worse at the moment) and gave up most sugar and refined carbs. I was fine for about 3 1/2 months and it recently came back yet again. This time, the doctor prescribed the xifaxan 550mg three times a day but when I take it 3 times I get very light-headed??? So I am to take it for one month twice daily. I can tell you the EXACT day this time it kicked in - its ridiculous how all of a sudden my stomach problems almost disappear. It was day 10. At this point, I think I'd like to just stay on this antibioic forever!!! I know that is not possible, but I feel so much better on it.

I meet with the doctor before I finish up this round, so we shall see what he says this time.

MaryAnn

Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie50 View Post
I have been under treatment for sibo since Oct. 2011. I have had IBS for over 25 years and I think, now that I am familiar with the symptoms, sibo for about 3-4 years.

I was also tested by endoscopy and bloodwork for celiac's, pt/ptt, vit K and a regular blood-screening - all of which were negative. I also had stool testing - negative on parasites but positive on fecal fat.

I am on my third round of xifaxan in 6 months. The first time I took it (550mg twice daily) I got relief the first two days!!! Once off - the symptoms were back in a month....then I was put back on same regimen for 14 more days. When I finished, I met with my GI's nutritionist and started a probiotic (not sure if that helped or made things worse at the moment) and gave up most sugar and refined carbs. I was fine for about 3 1/2 months and it recently came back yet again. This time, the doctor prescribed the xifaxan 550mg three times a day but when I take it 3 times I get very light-headed??? So I am to take it for one month twice daily. I can tell you the EXACT day this time it kicked in - its ridiculous how all of a sudden my stomach problems almost disappear. It was day 10. At this point, I think I'd like to just stay on this antibioic forever!!! I know that is not possible, but I feel so much better on it.

I meet with the doctor before I finish up this round, so we shall see what he says this time.

MaryAnn
Hi MaryAnn,

I've been taking Culturelle Health & Wellness Formula probiotic (CVS) for the last 1 1/2 wks as I started diarrhea and mild stomach gurgling again. Not too problematic, but in discussing things with my nutritionist she wanted me to try this probiotic for 30 days to see if it makes a difference. Up to this point, I'd venture to say it hasen't made a difference one way or the other. If I still have diarrhea after the 30 days I'm going to contact my GI doc for another round of Xifaxin. I am much improved, but with the diarrhea and other mild symptoms coming back I think it will be time to nip the SIBO back in the bud again. At least there's treatment even if it seems only temporary in nature.

How do your SIBO symptoms differ from what you experienced with IBS? My SIBO symmptoms were quite similar if not identical to the symptoms of FM making it challenging to figure out if it's the bacterial overgrowth reeking havoc again or overloads of FODMAPs foods...even though I am so careful with my diet. Quite frustrating!

I so appreciate being able to come here and find others with similar GI difficulties. Who would have thought that we'd end up initiating these types of conversations! Ha, ha.

I have a followup with my primary care doc next week and will be having some blood work done. I'm curious to see if some of my levels (Vit B12, Vit D, Calcium, Iron, Ferritin and TSH...over time all have been low) have come back up to normal now that my diet is working better for me. I've also gained back the weight I lost.

Wishing you well. Please keep in touch!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefloats36 View Post
Hi MaryAnn,

I've been taking Culturelle Health & Wellness Formula probiotic (CVS) for the last 1 1/2 wks as I started diarrhea and mild stomach gurgling again. Not too problematic, but in discussing things with my nutritionist she wanted me to try this probiotic for 30 days to see if it makes a difference. Up to this point, I'd venture to say it hasen't made a difference one way or the other. If I still have diarrhea after the 30 days I'm going to contact my GI doc for another round of Xifaxin. I am much improved, but with the diarrhea and other mild symptoms coming back I think it will be time to nip the SIBO back in the bud again. At least there's treatment even if it seems only temporary in nature.

How do your SIBO symptoms differ from what you experienced with IBS? My SIBO symmptoms were quite similar if not identical to the symptoms of FM making it challenging to figure out if it's the bacterial overgrowth reeking havoc again or overloads of FODMAPs foods...even though I am so careful with my diet. Quite frustrating!

I so appreciate being able to come here and find others with similar GI difficulties. Who would have thought that we'd end up initiating these types of conversations! Ha, ha.

I have a followup with my primary care doc next week and will be having some blood work done. I'm curious to see if some of my levels (Vit B12, Vit D, Calcium, Iron, Ferritin and TSH...over time all have been low) have come back up to normal now that my diet is working better for me. I've also gained back the weight I lost.

Wishing you well. Please keep in touch!
Hi - nice to hear from you again and sorry the probiotic is not helping. I am on the xifaxan for a month right now - maybe longer - I see the GI doctor before I finish up the month - I truly feel I need to be on it longer - maybe a lower dose? Or maybe pulsing - one week on three weeks off ?? Anyway, the SIBO differs to me in many ways from my regualr IBS symptoms. SEVERE gas - and I don't mean gas pain - I mean passing of the gas .. LOUD and tons and tons of it. I kept going to my primary doctor too and telling him my upper stomach was bloated and bothering me and I just felt "sick"...hard to explain, but I just did not feel well. Plus with my regular IBS I never had upper bloating or pains high up - always lower and on my left side. Also I started last year with the stool changes. He just kept saying it was my IBS changing. It wasn't until my stool sample came back that I had fat in my stool did he send me to a GI doctor and I had all the testing. Oh, I also had rashes which now are gone since I have been on the antibiotics. Glad to hear you gained your weight back. I've lost about 6lbs since stopping sugar and refined carbs. Keep in touch - MaryAnn

Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

2HelpU HB User

After two rounds of agonizing abdominal food poisoning from eating at restaurants years apart, my wife (now 57) tested positive for the SIBO breath test, then took 2 rounds of Xifaxen months apart and she said then her abdominal pain finally mostly left for good, but she still remained sensitive to bloating, swelling, and nausea after eating . . . in other words her symptoms changed somewhat as she lost her years of agonizing abdominal pain, but still suffered from the rest.

So we looked into food allergies, but searched websites, talked to doctors, allergists, did a stool test along with a blood panel and a couple prescribed more natural milder antibiotics at the IBS Center in Seattle and kept the restricted diet with the results of the blood panel. That still didn't get rid of the remaining symptoms.

Then we researched NAET, she was treated by NAET practitioners and that worked well as it allowed her to again eat almost whatever she wanted until she went thru a few traumatic emotional events consisting of hitting a deer on the highway, the death of a close relative and several friends, and receiving her 2nd bout of food poisoning after eating in a restaurant. Traumatic events can bring on new or bring back old allergies and that did happen to her again.

We then went back to NAET only this time we have been testing and treating ourselves back and forth for lots of food and environmental allergies.
She is now much better with all symptoms and can eat any food that tested positive as an allergen thru MRO (muscle response testing done by ourselves) and then successfully treated via NAET methods.

Don't give up on your conditions, but keep searching naet food allergies and intolerances, do some detective work and you will be able to help yourselves.

2HelpU

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-01-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Closed Thread