It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
(male)

badposturrrrre HB User
Can IBS cause lower back pain?

I may have IBS, don't know but my bowel has been acting up the last 2-3 weeks. I've been "sick" 3 times, back to almost normal then feeling bad again. Lately I've been experiencing lower back pain, I do have scoliosis but I've never had back pain that lasted over a day before, is it possibly caused by IBS?

The following user gives a hug of support to badposturrrrre:
dianajune (09-30-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
(male)

Mic101 HB User
Re: Can IBS cause lower back pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badposturrrrre View Post
I may have IBS, don't know but my bowel has been acting up the last 2-3 weeks. I've been "sick" 3 times, back to almost normal then feeling bad again. Lately I've been experiencing lower back pain, I do have scoliosis but I've never had back pain that lasted over a day before, is it possibly caused by IBS?
Yes it can.

I have significant back pain with my IBS.

I also have acute noise anxiety pain that travels down my spine to my back through my sympathetic nervous system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User

You said you have been sick, so have you been drinking enough fluids? I have been told by many doctors that dehydration can cause lower back pain too. Uti and bladder infections can cause lower back problems too, sometimes without that urgent need to pee or burning pain, but yes ibs can cause lower back pain as well as middle back pain. I have chronic stomach and back pain that does not go away unless I take my pain meds. The docs say that my case is highly unusual. But I also get the crapping, nausea and diarrhea often.

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
(male)

badposturrrrre HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver02 View Post
You said you have been sick, so have you been drinking enough fluids? I have been told by many doctors that dehydration can cause lower back pain too. Uti and bladder infections can cause lower back problems too, sometimes without that urgent need to pee or burning pain, but yes ibs can cause lower back pain as well as middle back pain. I have chronic stomach and back pain that does not go away unless I take my pain meds. The docs say that my case is highly unusual. But I also get the crapping, nausea and diarrhea often.
Yes, I've been drinking a lot more water than I normally do before I started having these problems. It used to be maybe just 1 glass of water a day and I constipated a lot. Right now though I'm peeing a lot too, maybe 45ish minutes after drinking I'd pee it all out, and my stools aren't much softer. I thought drinking more would hydrate my stools more and make them easier to pass, it might be helping with that just a little bit, so I'm wondering if I'm really just peeing all that water out or close to 90% of it instead of really hydrating...

Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User

I have read somewhere that you can drink too much water. Too much water can deplete your body of vitamins or something like that.

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by badposturrrrre View Post
IBS can cause back pain. I speak from experience. I hope you will feel better soon!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
(female)

ottilie HB User

I think it can be. It is one of the top symptoms that I have when I have slow digestion.

By the way, by far the most successful thing or me has been eating 2-3 apples a day. That might sound so simple, but I spent several years with symptoms that seemed to match that of IBS.
Eating lots of vegetables, oats or other foods labeled as high fiber didn't help. In fact, the extra bulk would make me feel bloated and have back pain as it took a couple days to digest.

What is different about apples and pears? I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with pectin in the skin. Pectin is the soluble fiber substance extracted from apples and used in making jelly.

Try eating a small apple a couple times a day and the effect should be clear pretty soon, if this works for you

Closed Thread