It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB User
Unhappy Can adhesions make IBS worse?

If you scroll down the IBS page a little ways, you'll see a post I wrote about how my IBS has been going crazy. About a week after I wrote it, I ended up in the Emergency Room because of stomach pains that were extremely bad. They ran blood work and xrays (chest and abdomen) and told me that there was no blockage and they didn't even think I needed additional testing (like a ct scan, colonoscopy,etc) and I was sent home.

They said I had trapped gas. I never thought that gas would be that painful.

I started feeling better while I was in the ER and especially after getting home, and it felt like my stomach was finally getting back to normal. Only problem is, several times during the month of September - including last night - I had the same thing happen again. Severe stomach pains DURING bowel movements (is that normal for IBS?), and last night I was having cramps off and on - not constant like before, and could feel a painful mass in my gut somewhere below my belly button.

I took my anxiety medication and laid down. When I got up this morning, that painful mass was gone and I've been having BM's again. (sorry to be so graphic).

Yesterday, in an effort to lose weight because I just found I had gained nearly five pounds since my last weigh-in - I had a sandwich for lunch and a big bowl of carrots. Since my hernia and bowel resection surgery in '09 I've found there are foods I can't tolerate, like broccoli, cauliflower, and even corn and peas, But I didn't have problems with carrots until last night.

I'm careful about chewing like the surgeon told me. Could it be that the portion size (carrots) was too much for me? The sandwich wasn't big either. I never had trouble digesting carrots before, but I suppose that some of them could have been cooked better. They were nuked.

Has anyone out there had problems with digesting vegetables because of their IBS? Has anyone out there had surgery, with adhesions afterwards, and had problems similar to mine? If so, what did you do?

My stomach feels like it's trying to get back to normal again, but I'm tired of this runaround. I doubt it's anything serious because of all the tests they ran in the hospital. I think that the episode I had last night was caused by a combination of what I ate and the stress I've been under. I recently purchased a used car and it's had one problem after another. It may have to be junked.

I wish I could get my surgeon to agree to remove the adhesions, as I had a partial blockage in August 2010 that was treated with meds. They said that every time a person's stomach is opened up, there's an increased risk for more adhesions. I would give anything to have some relief, even if it lasts only a few years?

If anyone out there has any suggestions, I would appreciate them. I'm tired of IBS running my life. I can't take much more. Thanks.

Last edited by dianajune; 10-01-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Can adhesions make IBS worse?

I have IBS and its interesting what one can-cannot eat/digest.
I have had to change my diet a lot. I cannot eat uncooked vegetables (I would die with the pain). Things like cakes/cookies and anything pastry lays like lead in my stomach.
Strangely I don't have a problem with fruit. What treatment do you take. I take Mebeverine and Domperidone.
I don't smoke and since having an Ulcer I cant drink either, What we go through!!..
I wish you well, Solofelix.

The following user gives a hug of support to solofelix:
dianajune (10-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
dianajune (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB User
Re: Can adhesions make IBS worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
I have IBS and its interesting what one can-cannot eat/digest.
I have had to change my diet a lot. I cannot eat uncooked vegetables (I would die with the pain). Things like cakes/cookies and anything pastry lays like lead in my stomach.
Strangely I don't have a problem with fruit. What treatment do you take. I take Mebeverine and Domperidone.
I don't smoke and since having an Ulcer I cant drink either, What we go through!!..
I wish you well, Solofelix.
I was diagnosed with IBS over 20 years ago. My hernia repair/bowel resection was just about 2 years ago. Ever since that surgery and especially after the adhesions caused a partial blockage last year, there are some foods I can't eat. I used to be able to have broccoli, corn, peas and cauliflower, but I can no longer do so.

When I had carrots the other day, which I normally eat w/o any problems, some of them were undercooked. I wonder if that was the issue - in addition to the portion size???

I'm not currently taking any medication for my IBS but will discuss this issue with my md when I see her next week. Maybe she can put me on something. I'm using peppermint tea for now. That seems to help.

I've been under alot of stress too, and that could be another reason why my stomach feels like it's in knots sometimes.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by dianajune; 10-02-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread