It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

MindBodyDiscord HB User
IBS causing gallstone type pain? Severe pain.

Quick comment/question:
Does anyone have chronic pain in one specific location?
Anyone have pain that mimics gallbladder pain?

While experiencing what I believe to be 'normal IBS related severe gas pain/pressure', I am taken back in time to my experience with gallstones. This pain is always in the same spot, upper right quad area, if I lean forward even slightly, the pain radiates up into my right shoulder/neck, and it is severe -
I recently had a kidney infection, and I suspected I was developing a problem with kidney stones - I just find it hard to believe that 'IBS' is causing such pain in that high area. This is the same location, each and every time. I know IBS can cause certain areas of the GI system to be more sensitive than others, and that each case can be slightly different, but this seems a bit to spot specific.

The following user gives a hug of support to MindBodyDiscord:
dianajune (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Red face Re: IBS causing gallstone type pain? Severe pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodyDiscord View Post
Quick comment/question:

While experiencing what I believe to be 'normal IBS related severe gas pain/pressure', I am taken back in time to my experience with gallstones. This pain is always in the same spot, upper right quad area, if I lean forward even slightly, the pain radiates up into my right shoulder/neck, and it is severe -
I recently had a kidney infection, and I suspected I was developing a problem with kidney stones - I just find it hard to believe that 'IBS' is causing such pain in that high area. This is the same location, each and every time. I know IBS can cause certain areas of the GI system to be more sensitive than others, and that each case can be slightly different, but this seems a bit to spot specific.

I have chronic pain (more on than off) in the lower part of my abdomen in the middle. It's close to a laparotomy incision from 12 years ago. That's where most of the pain was that I had last nigth (Sunday) that led to my trip to the ER. It was trapped gas. No obstruction.

As for my gallbladder, I can tell you this: I had mine removed, and for a long time afterwards I experienced pain in the same spot where my gallbladder was located. It finally stopped, but it felt at times like they never took it out.

I assume you still have yours? You might want to ask your doctor for a HIDA scan of your gallbladder, if one hasn't already been done.

My IBS pain can be just about anywhere. Upper left quadrant, upper right quadrant (it's not in the upper right very often though). Upper mid-abdomen, lower mid-abdomen, and lower left and lower right abdomen.

Sometimes that pain starts at the top near my gallbladder incisions and it works it's way down. Sunday's pain that landed me in the ER was different. It started in my lower mid-abdomen and worked its way up, and my gut felt like it was getting very firm. The ER doc said that was normal for excessive gas.

I hope you will feel better soon. I'm going to bed....it's been a very long day. Been up nearly 20 hours!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

roopera HB User
Re: IBS causing gallstone type pain? Severe pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodyDiscord View Post
Quick comment/question:

I had to register here to reply to your post!
I've had 2 attacks just like those you describe... and think I'm having my 3rd now!
Over the years my symptoms have changed - each bad attack (other than everyday ones!) is very bad and different but a few months ago I had an attack which convinced my doctor I had stones in my gall bladder.
She sent me off for an ultrasound scan. Nothing!
Then about 3 months later I had another one. Again, ultrasound scan. And yet again, nothing! The radiographer even said she couldn't see any signs of me having passed a gall stone.
So now I think it's just IBS rearing its ugly head again.
I had endoscopy about 3 or 4 years ago and consultant didn't really find anything (HUGE relief!!) BUT I continue with these painful symptoms.
Often (I THINK) due to stress among other things.
It helps a little bit to take strong painkillers, keep off fatty food as much as possible and drink hot fennel or peppermint tea.
You are NOT ALONE! Sorry I can't help you more than that!

Closed Thread