It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Needs advice re. trip to ER

I just got back from the ER, and it's about 3:15am as I write this. I"m too wound up to go to bed. A few days ago I posted about bowel issues....most but not all of my stools are flat. I was diagnosed with IBS more than 20 years ago, and it seems as though periodically, I have to cross another food off my list of things I can eat.

Today I felt good when I attended church. Then I ran errands. Had laundry to do and stopped by a Chinese restaurant for take out. Big mistake. After I bit into the egg roll I noticed it had cabbage. This may sound silly, but I haven't had one in awhile and the last time I ate one, it didn't bother me.

I didn't eat the entire meal. I ate a little at the laundromat, a little when I got home and the rest is still in the fridge. It's going out in the trash tomorrow (or should I say today?).

I never thought that gas pains would be so severe and crippling. I was in the ER in September because of trapped gas, but I ate something else. Chinese food never affected me like this until Sunday. The ER doc said that Chinese food has msg, and of course cabbage produces alot of gas. On top of that, I've got IBS and adhesions from multiple abdominal surgeries.

I'm beginning to wonder what kind of diet I can have. What foods are good for IBS people, and what kinds should I stay away from? I learned recently that I can't have large salads anymore, and I'm scared of having small ones. I can't eat broccoli. I can't eat corn. Peas seem to be an issue for me too. It's one thing after another.

All they did was chest and abdominal xrays. They didn't see an obstruction, which is good, but I still need to have the CT scan that my primary care provider ordered. My bowel movements, as I posted before, have been doing strange things.

Besides my question about what to eat for IBS, can anyone tell me if one's doctor thinks that something could be seriously wrong with you, that he/she would tell you? Mine seems to be a straight-shooter, and my building manager thinks to so as he sees her as well.

Should I be worried about the outcome of the CT scan? My ER doc couldn't tell me, although she said it could be ordered if I want it. She didn't think the insurance would cover it in the ER if it weren't a life and death kind of emergency, which she said it wasn't. All the xrays showed was alot of air. No obstructions whatsoever.

Re. the ct scan - my primary care provider left if up to me and said it wasn't absolutely necessary. She suggested it for my peace of mind as I tend to worry.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

Last edited by dianajune; 10-17-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
(female)

meirocco HB User
Re: Needs advice re. trip to ER

get a breath test done. i went to my np which kept telling me its anxiety, sending me to psych for MORE meds. come to find out, after 6 months of not eating because EVERYTHING was maknig me vomit and diareaha (i have ibs also), went to my gi doc and he set me up with a breath test, and guess what, it was not in my head. i have sibo. small intestine bacterial overgrowth, and i have it bad. they put me on an antibiotic strictly for small intestines. i can eat again, but since it has gone on for so long, i have issues with eating, what i can and cannot eat, and major depression. i would ask for the test its simple 3.5 hour test, mine came back positive within an hour.

The Following User Says Thank You to meirocco For This Useful Post:
dianajune (11-02-2011)
Closed Thread