It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
(male)

mackky85 HB User
Sweaty buttocks and host of ibs symptoms

Sorry if this is TMI and TL, but I want to get all possibly relevant information out there.

The most embarrassing problem (for obvious social reasons) is that my buttocks gets sweaty, mostly around the crack, almost invariably when IBS symptoms start flaring up (which is usually, about 5-7 hours a day).

IBS systems are flatulence, pain in abdomen, and loose stool, always. They are not so severe, more annoying than anything, but persistent. I have maybe 2 normal BM a month, and this has been going on for the past 5 or so years, and IBS symptoms in general for longer. As far as I can tell, food in general triggers symptoms. Only non-food things like cookies or crackers spare me.

Other chronic problems: always tired (to the point I can't sit through a lecture or read non-fiction without drinking coffee, which is of course a catch-22, as coffee of course triggers IBS symptoms), and some form of social anxiety disorder (undiagnosed, but I'm highly certain about this).

I saw a GP about the whole IBS thing, he ran some blood tests (for thyroid problems and other general things) and and tested for celiacs disease, all came up negative. He suggested that the sweaty buttocks thing was merely a symptom of the IBS, so not much help there.

Anyhow, any ideas of how to deal with this issue, or if there is a different underlying cause?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Sweaty buttocks and host of ibs symptoms

For comfort in this area you need to use only plain warm water and a light dusting of Talcum powder (Prefferably Baby Powder). Keep a supply with you and touch up when nessesary.
As an IBS sufferer I steer clear of Coffee. I drink just three cups of regular tea per day. The rest Just water and Herbal-Tea.
Carrying excessive weight and sitting for long periods can also cause discomfort in the Buttock area.
You can buy an Anti-Fungal Talc which you could try, it's a case of what suits.
Hope this helps and good luck, Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

King Troll HB User
Re: Sweaty buttocks and host of ibs symptoms

Hi I symathise as I have the same. I have found the main relief I get is to have a shower and (with the spray head on a hose) wash myself with as hot a water as I can stand. If I am away from home it is quite a problem and nothing seems to help as much as washing the area well. A piece of loo paper folded and put between your bum cheeks helps some but sometimes not for long and repeated trips to the loo can be embarresing. Yes baby powder helps sometimes but I have found not all the time. I have a massage cream with essential oils of Lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus and vetiver that helps and seems to keep any rash at bay... especially when combined with the shower.
I hope this helps
Johnno

Closed Thread