It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

meirocco HB User
IBS can lead to SIBO

I have had ibs-d for some years now. last 7 months been horrible, everything that touched my tongue i would get sick on top of the diareah. after 7 months of noone listening, losing tons of weight, and anxiety to the moon. i called my gi doc. told him i CAN NOT eat anything. set me up the next day for a breath test. come to find out i had MAJOR small intestine bacterial overgrowth. was put on an antibiotic strictly for small intestines and i am able to eat to a point. since it has gone on for soooo long, i cut out about all food, anxious, and majorly depressed. (anyone would be when tied to a toilet for that long). it can (doesnt mean it will) cause some serious illnesses when not caught fast enough. i suggest anyone that feels worse than usual with the ibs to get the breath test done. its very simple and noninvasive. takes time tho. it is a 3.5 hour test, although if you test positive, you may not be there that whole time. you drink 8 oz of water with undigestible sugar in it, then every 20 minutes breath into a bag. if you have it (sibo) then you will breath a gas out your lungs showing that, you are not digesting. i was there an hour and they found it (again mine was bad). My other symptoms where: very bad odor coming from my skin (armpits mainly), malabsorbtion, poo that would knock you out (the smell), lose of alot of weight, extreme anxiety, and very very fatigued, noises in my stomach nonstop (not hunger ones). it is like toxin overload. you can search the internet to see if you have signs of it. its called small intestine bacterial overgrowth, and to learn more about the breath test. hope this helps someone, anyone, before it gets as far as mine is. just a thought. ive been on the antibiotic for a week and a half now, although i can eat, im still very weak, anxious, depressed, but i dont smell like i did, my poo is still wierd but not anywheres near as funky smelling. yet some reason im still loosing weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
Re: IBS can lead to SIBO

Hi My name is MaryAnn ... Have had diagnosis of IBS for 25 plus years, but last 3 years stomach issues have gotten way worse. Severe gas pains; especially after eating with unreal passing of gas ... without being gross - the gas I pass IS SO LOUD its unreal. I have gained weight, not lost - constantly hungry and craving sugar and in June I noticed my stools were constantly floating. I went to my regular doc who did not make a big deal of it and just blamed my IBS. Floating stools continued along with worsening stomach problems; paleness; fatigue; not sleeping well. He then tested my stool for bacteria, parasites, etc. NEGATIVE... then tested my stool a few weeks later for fat and came back positive. Malabsorption .... sent me to gastro. He did breath test and I came up positive. Also did bloodwork for celiac and an upper endoscopy for celiac and h-pylori. I strongly suggest you get tested for celiac as it can cause all these type of symptoms. I was negative for celiac and h-pylori and took 2 weeks of an antibiotic called Xifantin or something - cannot remember now. 550mg twice daily for a full 2 weeks. Within 3 days, the gas was GONE and I was able to eat without stomach pains... However, the floating stools continued. Once off the antibiotics, all symptoms came back immediately so now he says he thinks my symptoms were not from bacterial overgrowth ??????? Why then did I feel better on them? Now he wants my stool tested again for fat. I had seen another gastro doctor a few years back that I liked more than this one, so I made an appt to see him in 3 weeks. I am at a loss - worried about the malabsorption though.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
(female)

meirocco HB User

Yeah i am back on the xifaxan. my sibo has gotten better then worse when off antibiotic. this time around its like its not helping. i have been biopsy and tested for ceiliac, and h-plori. im at a rough spot now. i dont know what to do, very depressed, back to vomiting in am and diarea, not to sound gross but with me the smell is very distinguishable doesnt smell like anything ive pooed before, thats how i know its the sibo. there has to be an easier way. i talked to a nutritionist says she can get it out of me. its getting the 300.00 to pay for for the first visit and 500.00 for the next i just dont have the money. ive also just came off of a potent med ive been on for 10 years AND i dont know if that is playing a role or not, im sure it is at least a little, and the holidays are stressful. Very frustrating isnt it? gut issues suck!! i hope they figure yours out , do you stress alot?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User
Smile Re: IBS can lead to SIBO

Hi to meirocco and Twinkie50,
I can relate to your diagnosis and treatment of SIBO and the symptoms you've endured. I endured these symptoms for over ten years. You are not alone. In my humble opinion, many other people who have been told they have IBS, irritable bowel syndrome actually have SIBO, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and/or Fructose Malabsorption...like me. Just my opinion now...I think what is called IBS is actually just a cluster of symptoms. not a condition.

But, BIG question...what causes the symptoms? You have discovered that you have a condition called SIBO. I have this too. I have Fructose Malabsorption as well...also diagnosed with a breath test...same routine as the one for SIBO. With both conditions, I had the double whammy of horrific symptoms. I am feeling much better at this point. I was first diagnosed with FM and put on the low FODMAP diet. After 6 weeks of feeling better, but not quite there yet, I was tested for SIBO, tested positive and began the treatment of Xifaxin (Rafaximin) 550mg, 3 x's daily for 2 weeks. I went through another round of this antibiotic treatment about 3 months later and am feeling significantly better. I adhere to the low FODMAP diet (and if I cheat...I pay for it immediately)

As a result of all the malabsorption issues that went on I was Vit D, B-12, Calcium, protein, Iron, etc deficient for many years. My levels have come back up and I feel so much healthier. I gained back the weight I lost. (For years, I didn't loose weight...I gained. Eventually I became so tremendously ill with symptoms, I couldn't eat and lost a ton of weight).

I'd be curious to know how those of you with SIBO are doing now. Best wishes!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefloats36 View Post
Hi to meirocco and Twinkie50,
I can relate to your diagnosis and treatment of SIBO and the symptoms you've endured. I endured these symptoms for over ten years. You are not alone. In my humble opinion, many other people who have been told they have IBS, irritable bowel syndrome actually have SIBO, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and/or Fructose Malabsorption...like me. Just my opinion now...I think what is called IBS is actually just a cluster of symptoms. not a condition.

But, BIG question...what causes the symptoms? You have discovered that you have a condition called SIBO. I have this too. I have Fructose Malabsorption as well...also diagnosed with a breath test...same routine as the one for SIBO. With both conditions, I had the double whammy of horrific symptoms. I am feeling much better at this point. I was first diagnosed with FM and put on the low FODMAP diet. After 6 weeks of feeling better, but not quite there yet, I was tested for SIBO, tested positive and began the treatment of Xifaxin (Rafaximin) 550mg, 3 x's daily for 2 weeks. I went through another round of this antibiotic treatment about 3 months later and am feeling significantly better. I adhere to the low FODMAP diet (and if I cheat...I pay for it immediately)

As a result of all the malabsorption issues that went on I was Vit D, B-12, Calcium, protein, Iron, etc deficient for many years. My levels have come back up and I feel so much healthier. I gained back the weight I lost. (For years, I didn't loose weight...I gained. Eventually I became so tremendously ill with symptoms, I couldn't eat and lost a ton of weight).

I'd be curious to know how those of you with SIBO are doing now. Best wishes!
Hi - I too have gained weight. I have had "IBS" for a very long time, but something changed with the symptoms 2 years ago when my menopause started - horrific gas and bloating and what sent me to the doctor was my stools started floating - not just occasionally - all the time for 3 mths. I got concerned and when they tested them, they had fat in them - which is not good - I was so scared it was my pancreas - had abdominal ultrasound - which was negative - tested for celiac - also negative. Sent to gastro who did a breath test and I was high positive for SIBO. He says he believes the fat in my stool is from the SIBO but I rarely see anyone posting that as a symptom and even after being treated twice with xifaxan and now I am off refined carbs and sugar, and taking VSL#3 probiotic, I feel better, but stools have not changed one bit. I am seeing the nutritionist in my gastro's office - I am now keeping a food journal and writing down any gut symptoms to see if we can pin point more food sensitivities.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
(female)

Hi MaryAnn,
I'm happy to hear from you, but sorry to hear you are still having symptoms. Did you ever have the breath test for Fructose Malabsorption? The FM symptoms are quite similar to those of SIBO. Your doc shouldn't assume that SIBO wasn't your problem. You tested positive for it. Perhaps you are like me and also have something else going on...like Fructose Malabsorption. I would encourage you to make an appointment to have the breath test for it.

The gastly symptoms!!! I can relate to all of them. Yes, the stools would float, oil/fat would sometimes float on top of the toilet water after a BM, some times I would only have what looked like stool sediment in the bottom of the bowl. I was passing my medications/whole undigested pills that I took with my meal! I was the chronic D version so food didn't stay long in my GI tract. Often, I flet like I would passout from weakness after a BM. My BP was also getting low and I would get dizzy throughout the day. The pain associated with all of this...terrible.

Yes, I had fat in my stools as well...it indicates malabsorption as you know. That's when the GI doc did the breath testing to determine the reasons for the malabsorption. Lactose first, then fructose, then 6 weeks later after being on the low FODMAP diet, the bacteria test. That's when I discovered I had FM and SIBO....the double whammy as I like to call it. (You can read up on FM and work the elimination diet to see if any of your symptoms improve. That would certainly indicate another malabsorption issue, but if I were you I'd just go back and have the breath test done for fructose.)

I noticed that you were prescribed the antibiotic Xifaxan 2 x's daily. My doctor insisted on 550mg 3 x's daily for 2 weeks as this is the gold standard treatment. My insurance refused to cover more than 2 x's a day even though the GI doc sent them information from a medical journal about what treatment works. The office gathered up samples for me so I could take the med 3 x's a day. I felt the difference after a few days treatment, and felt significantly better for almost 3 months. Symptoms returned and he re-treated me. That time the insurance agreed to pay for 3 x's a day. I've been doing well since. since you took the antibiotic only 2 x's a day...it may not have been enough for you.

Most of my symptoms now are when I eat a food that's not low FODMAP or eat too much of one....portion sizes makes a huge difference. For example, ripe banana is a low FODMAP/safe food. For me, I can't eat more than 1/2 of a small ripe banana or I'll experience gastly symptoms.

Just last Friday I met with a dietician/nutritionist in the Boston area who is well versed with FM and SIBO. I traveled 2 hours to get to her. I was so relieved to find someone so knowledgable after working on my own with the low FODMAP diet (very restrictive and can be confusing as many foods have not been tested as of yet and some info out there is outdated) for about 8 months. I now have the latest safe/unsafe food information now so I expect to be feeling even better very soon. She thinks I might have a gluten sensitivity so I just began to eliminate it. We'll see what happens there. By the way, she had SIBO was treated once and it's never come back. Some people have all the luck!!! lol

In terms of the SIBO, I am not taking any probiotics. Not sure that I want to put more bacteria into my gut considering I don't know which ones are the culprits to begin with. The nutritionist agreed with me at this point while we are trying to fine tune the diet, make sure nothing else is going on, etc.

What is your location? I am in CT, USA.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Hi MaryAnn,
I'm happy to hear from you, but sorry to hear you are still having symptoms. Did you ever have the breath test for Fructose Malabsorption? The FM symptoms are quite similar to those of SIBO. Your doc shouldn't assume that SIBO wasn't your problem. You tested positive for it. Perhaps you are like me and also have something else going on...like Fructose Malabsorption. I would encourage you to make an appointment to have the breath test for it.

The gastly symptoms!!! I can relate to all of them. Yes, the stools would float, oil/fat would sometimes float on top of the toilet water after a BM, some times I would only have what looked like stool sediment in the bottom of the bowl. I was passing my medications/whole undigested pills that I took with my meal! I was the chronic D version so food didn't stay long in my GI tract. Often, I flet like I would passout from weakness after a BM. My BP was also getting low and I would get dizzy throughout the day. The pain associated with all of this...terrible.

Yes, I had fat in my stools as well...it indicates malabsorption as you know. That's when the GI doc did the breath testing to determine the reasons for the malabsorption. Lactose first, then fructose, then 6 weeks later after being on the low FODMAP diet, the bacteria test. That's when I discovered I had FM and SIBO....the double whammy as I like to call it. (You can read up on FM and work the elimination diet to see if any of your symptoms improve. That would certainly indicate another malabsorption issue, but if I were you I'd just go back and have the breath test done for fructose.)

I noticed that you were prescribed the antibiotic Xifaxan 2 x's daily. My doctor insisted on 550mg 3 x's daily for 2 weeks as this is the gold standard treatment. My insurance refused to cover more than 2 x's a day even though the GI doc sent them information from a medical journal about what treatment works. The office gathered up samples for me so I could take the med 3 x's a day. I felt the difference after a few days treatment, and felt significantly better for almost 3 months. Symptoms returned and he re-treated me. That time the insurance agreed to pay for 3 x's a day. I've been doing well since. since you took the antibiotic only 2 x's a day...it may not have been enough for you.

Most of my symptoms now are when I eat a food that's not low FODMAP or eat too much of one....portion sizes makes a huge difference. For example, ripe banana is a low FODMAP/safe food. For me, I can't eat more than 1/2 of a small ripe banana or I'll experience gastly symptoms.

Just last Friday I met with a dietician/nutritionist in the Boston area who is well versed with FM and SIBO. I traveled 2 hours to get to her. I was so relieved to find someone so knowledgable after working on my own with the low FODMAP diet (very restrictive and can be confusing as many foods have not been tested as of yet and some info out there is outdated) for about 8 months. I now have the latest safe/unsafe food information now so I expect to be feeling even better very soon. She thinks I might have a gluten sensitivity so I just began to eliminate it. We'll see what happens there. By the way, she had SIBO was treated once and it's never come back. Some people have all the luck!!! lol

In terms of the SIBO, I am not taking any probiotics. Not sure that I want to put more bacteria into my gut considering I don't know which ones are the culprits to begin with. The nutritionist agreed with me at this point while we are trying to fine tune the diet, make sure nothing else is going on, etc.

Oh I probably should have been more specific in terms of doctors!! I forgot I had posted previously - the first GI I went to, after my initial round of xifaxan, said it wasn't SIBO because my symptoms came back within a week or so of stopping the antibiotic!!! Even though I had tested high positive on the test - that alone sent me to another GI doctor. The second one is positive my symptoms are from SIBO which is why he re-treated me, then has me seeing his nutritionist for diet changes and I then started the probiotic also!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Hi MaryAnn,

You did have fat in your stool??? !! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel !!! LOL .... I think I still do, because my stools still float - however, they look totally normal - I have never had diarrhea. I have to say though, since starting this VSL#3 probiotic, I am having BM's 4-5 times a week which is a miracle for me!!! I have always had constipation...it could also be the fact that I have eliminated most sugar and refined carbs but I think I am still eating too many other carbs. I guess my food journal will help the nutritionist determine that. I have also lowered my intake of dairy as I found that was bothering me too. I mentioned to her being tested for lactose and fructose malabsorption - she wanted me first to try the diet changes and see how the probiotic worked. She said she will re-test me for bacterial overgrowth again soon in the future. I am in NJ - about 5 hours from Boston so that would be too far for me !!! My GI doctor was adament about getting me to "poop" more often as having all that sitting in your colon is not healthy. I was always having to take stool softeners and senecot, etc. I have not taken any of that since starting the probiotic 6 weeks ago and my stomach feels so much better because I am eliminating all that nasty stuff faster!!! MaryAnn

Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
(female)

All righty then...I made you feel better! I never knew that having fat in my stool would be something to have in common with someone else!!! Ha, ha. As I was reading your response I was laughing so hard because our GI symptoms don't make the loveliest of conversation around most people. So it's nice to know that someone wants to hear about it and can relate to it! lol

Prior to lap surgery to remove my gallbladder and repair a hiatel hernia I had chronic constipation as well. Then came the chronic dibilatating diarrhea. I saw multiple docs including GI docs. Everyone asked if I was malabsorbing, yet no on did any tests to determine if I was. The low levels of vitamins and iron should have been concern enough, but I seemed to be the only one concerned. At least now I know what is causing my GI symptoms, I'm able to do something about it, and although I'm not out of the woods yet, I feel remarkably better.

I'm glad your BM's are better regulated with the probiotic. It certainly seems to be making a positive difference there. Good luck with the dietician. Mine gave me the name of the doc whose written all the SIBO information which I plan to look at when I get some time. It's Dr. Mark Pimentel from Cedar-Sini. Can't remember if you said you knew of him.

Best wishes MaryAnn and keep in touch. Let us know how you make out with your upcoming appts.

The Following User Says Thank You to hopefloats36 For This Useful Post:
Twinkie50 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
All righty then...I made you feel better! I never knew that having fat in my stool would be something to have in common with someone else!!! Ha, ha. As I was reading your response I was laughing so hard because our GI symptoms don't make the loveliest of conversation around most people. So it's nice to know that someone wants to hear about it and can relate to it! lol

Prior to lap surgery to remove my gallbladder and repair a hiatel hernia I had chronic constipation as well. Then came the chronic dibilatating diarrhea. I saw multiple docs including GI docs. Everyone asked if I was malabsorbing, yet no on did any tests to determine if I was. The low levels of vitamins and iron should have been concern enough, but I seemed to be the only one concerned. At least now I know what is causing my GI symptoms, I'm able to do something about it, and although I'm not out of the woods yet, I feel remarkably better.

I'm glad your BM's are better regulated with the probiotic. It certainly seems to be making a positive difference there. Good luck with the dietician. Mine gave me the name of the doc whose written all the SIBO information which I plan to look at when I get some time. It's Dr. Mark Pimentel from Cedar-Sini. Can't remember if you said you knew of him.

Best wishes MaryAnn and keep in touch. Let us know how you make out with your upcoming appts.
As I was typing my last message to you about how often I have BM's, I was laughing too - thinking how can I be so comfortable talking about my bathroom habits to someone I don't even know!!! But, people who "poop" everyday with complete normalcy, just have no idea how lucky they are !!!!!

I do have Mark Pimentel's book - my dietician gave it to me. She agrees with SOME of his thoughts and methods, not all. I think with the SIBO its a trial and error to see what helps or makes us worse. Everyone is different. Hope you continue to feel well - MaryAnn

The following user gives a hug of support to Twinkie50:
hopefloats36 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
(female)

Hi MaryAnn, Oh those LUCKY ones! Don't we just love them. lol

I made the time today to check out Dr. Pimentel's site. I felt compelled to order the book on Amazon. I don't know if my GI doc has actually read it so I'll share it with him the next time I see him. I'm even inclined to share it with my internist who didn't seem to have knowledge of FM and SIBO when I told him I was diagnosed with both. Education, it's a wonderful thing!

Last edited by hopefloats36; 03-14-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Hi MaryAnn, Oh those LUCKY ones! Don't we just love them. lol

I made the time today to check out Dr. Pimentel's site. I felt compelled to order the book on Amazon. I don't know if my GI doc has actually read it so I'll share it with him the next time I see him. I'm even inclined to share it with my internist who didn't seem to have knowledge of FM and SIBO when I told him I was diagnosed with both. Education, it's a wonderful thing!
Let me know your thoughts on his book after you read it ....!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
(female)

Gracielou84 HB User

I have had severe gi issues for the last 18 months going between diarrhoea and constipation! I have always had loads of gas as long as I remember. I have had lots of nausea and vomiting that I'm on Zoferon for can manage to eat and drink ok at other times to compensate for the vomiting. I have a nuclear breath test a week today as they have ruled out most things. Do any of you have so much pain and if so what can you take! Or does pain go away with antibiotics? What interested me in the post was the deficiencies as I'm low on b12 and folate.
Advice appreciated

Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracielou84 View Post
I have had severe gi issues for the last 18 months going between diarrhoea and constipation! I have always had loads of gas as long as I remember. I have had lots of nausea and vomiting that I'm on Zoferon for can manage to eat and drink ok at other times to compensate for the vomiting. I have a nuclear breath test a week today as they have ruled out most things. Do any of you have so much pain and if so what can you take! Or does pain go away with antibiotics? What interested me in the post was the deficiencies as I'm low on b12 and folate.
Advice appreciated
Hi. What is a nuclear breath test? MaryAnn

Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
(female)

Hi MaryAnn/Twinkie50,
I'm checking in again as it's been a while. How have you been managing since we last chatted? I've done quite well, but over the last month or so I believe the SIBO's reared it's ugly head again. I just started another round of Xifaxin again 3 x's a day. I HOPE it does the trick. I continue with the low-FODMAP diet with success. There are been some new foods tested that I get to eat so there is a bit more variety in my diet....yeah! Still feel deprived though since everyone else gets to eat whatever without any difficulty...;-(
Also since we last chatted, I have gained weight. I"m now 25lbs heavier than I should be....:-( So apparently, even though I'm on this highly restrictive diet, I'm still managing to eat too much! I really must be more disciplined.
So how are you doing? I hope better. Touch base with me when you have a moment.
Blessings!

Closed Thread