It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
Question calling on anyone treated for SIBO

Hi - I was looking for anyone who has been or is being treated for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. I have had an IBS diagnosis for over 20 years. Last few years, my stomach symptoms have gotten worse and different. Tons of passing gas - and I mean TONS - upper stomach pains after eating; some nausea, and floating stools for which I have had stool testing for parasites, H-pylori, giardia...all negative, but when tested for fat in my stool, it came up positive. Scared the hell out of me - I saw a gastro a few weeks ago. He did a breath test and I tested positive for SIBO. I am also scheduled for an upper endoscopy in 10 days. I started Xifaxan 550mg twice daily 3 days ago. Need to be on this for 14 days. By the second day, my stomach already felt better - trying to stay away from sweets cause this bacteria thrives on it and I am taking a probiotic mid-day.

I was wondering if anyone out there had fat in their stools caused by SIBO and if so, how long did it take before your stools went back to normal???? Doctor did tell me that this may or may not cure me - some get amazing results for a very long time and others have to be re-treated from time to time. The stool issues are scaring me because it means malabsorption and if this antibiotic does not get rid of this problem, it may be caused by celiac (which he is doing a biopsy for during the endoscopy or something wrong with my pancreas)....

Thanks - MaryAnn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

meirocco HB User
Re: calling on anyone treated for SIBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie50 View Post
Hi - I was looking for anyone who has been or is being treated for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. I have had an IBS diagnosis for over 20 years. Last few years, my stomach symptoms have gotten worse and different. Tons of passing gas - and I mean TONS - upper stomach pains after eating; some nausea, and floating stools for which I have had stool testing for parasites, H-pylori, giardia...all negative, but when tested for fat in my stool, it came up positive. Scared the hell out of me - I saw a gastro a few weeks ago. He did a breath test and I tested positive for SIBO. I am also scheduled for an upper endoscopy in 10 days. I started Xifaxan 550mg twice daily 3 days ago. Need to be on this for 14 days. By the second day, my stomach already felt better - trying to stay away from sweets cause this bacteria thrives on it and I am taking a probiotic mid-day.

I was wondering if anyone out there had fat in their stools caused by SIBO and if so, how long did it take before your stools went back to normal???? Doctor did tell me that this may or may not cure me - some get amazing results for a very long time and others have to be re-treated from time to time. The stool issues are scaring me because it means malabsorption and if this antibiotic does not get rid of this problem, it may be caused by celiac (which he is doing a biopsy for during the endoscopy or something wrong with my pancreas)....

Thanks - MaryAnn

Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

meirocco HB User
Re: calling on anyone treated for SIBO

Ive been thru the same thing. i finished my 2 weeks of xifaxan, and started a probiotic about two weeks ago...my stool one minute can be actually normal for once in 2 years, or it can be diareha. i also notice im getting that really bad smell back i had with the sibo, so im thinking that i have to go back on antibiotic and go back to a bland diet for a little longer. i have mine bad, it took 7 months to even figure it out, and i know ive been dealing with it longer, it just got to the point i could not eat. my np did not believe me something was wrong and sent me to psychiatrist, (i refered myself to gi and they gave me the test which tested positive very quickly. i started introducing new foods and i know im getting it back....lay off sugars bad bacteria thrives on that and grease, and probably more. you can eat veggies that are cooked not raw, and same with fruits except for bananas. so far this is what ive learned. im back to living on chicken and rice soup and peanut butter and bananas, which i cant stand any of them, but gotta do it, you want to starve the bad bacteria so it cant grow, and from what ive read alternate the antibiotic and probiotic because the anti is going to kill everything in there so wasting money. that is also how the dr prescribed it to me. it'll take a few days for the xifaxan to kick in and you will get starving just really really watch what you eat or you are defeating the purpose. it sucks ive given up everything, but hopefully within time ill kick its arse and so will you! good luck, give me update, its nice to talk to someone going thru the same thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to meirocco For This Useful Post:
Twinkie50 (11-19-2011)
Closed Thread