It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

KatieTattie HB User
LIVING HELL! Should I give up or keep searching for answers??

Thank you to everyone who is taking the time to read this, I apologise if it turns into a long post. I am truly at breaking point and as the title states I don'r know whether to just give up or keep searching for answers to my health problems.
I am a 29 year old female in the UK and became a mother to a beautiful baby boy 6 months ago.
My health problems began 7 years ago, it began with mild abdominal pain and tiredness and progressed to terrible abdominal cramps and eating. After a while this led to constant abdominal pain with loose bowels, weight loss, tiredness, and on one occasion ended up in A&E with ab pain, blood in loose stools and vomiting old blood. This lasted for 2 years and I had every test imaginable: colonoscopy, food allergies, celiac, fbc, ultrasounds, barium swallow and came back negative apart from the colonoscopy biopsy showed slight acute colitis (which I was told could just have been caused by a virus). Then suddenly over a period of a couple of months everything just stopped! I was me again! I did however still have extreme tiredness and the occasional bowel cramping episode.

I carried on with life happily, got a completed a degree, got a good job where I traveled a lot, got married and had a beautiful son.
The pregnancy was fine (never felt as good actually) the birth was fine, no pain relief as it was nothing compared to the abdominal cramps I had in previous years!!

Two months post partum I became really ill. The old abdominal pains started up again with loose bowels and cramping but this time I had lots of other symptoms:
Constant abdominal burning
high right sided abdo pain
Now no unusual bowel movements no d or c
Hot flashes at night
Nausea
Frequent urination
Lost 40 lbs in weight over a 2 month period
Palpitations
Joint pain
muscle pain
Back pain around kidneys
Hair loss
Cracking/ bleeding fingertips
Extreme tiredness even though my husband did night feeds
Broken capillaries on cheeks
Bruising
Cold hands and feet
I've probably missed some!

So I went to every doctor I could:

Gp- did all usual bloods: low iron, low estrogen, high lutinising hormone. (said not to worry about those)
GI: No tests performed diagnosed IBS
Gyny: Did laproscopy all normal
Endocrinologist: Found Hyperactive thyroid, Low/borderine cortisol and ACTH put me on beta blockers to ease symptoms of Hyperactive thyroid and said it would 'sort itself out' as it is not autoimmune and doesn't know whats caused it to go hyper. Would not acknowledge the low cortisol.
Immunologist: High IGA Level, again he said it was only just out of range and was probably nothing. Also discovered a weak positive anti nuclear antibodies, again said as its weak postive its probably nothing.

So thats me! So basically everyone is telling me that I am the healthiest unhealthy person around. They are now suggesting I see a psychologist which I am FUMING ANGRY about!

I have become really depressed due to the constant pain I am in and trying to be a good Mum, I know it is not in my head and now feel totally alone and just cannot live in this pain anymore. I genuinely believe that whatever this is is going to kill me off early and I wont be around for my son. If it wasn't for my ill health I would have a perfect life, I have the most amazing husband and family/ friends. I just feel that the medical profession have now washed their hands of me, I've spent all our savings going private and could access some more funds but I don't even know what I could spend it on as I seem to have done everything I can.

One of the first things the drs diagnosed me with 7 years ago was IBS, I tried all conventional methods and alternative methods and lifestyle changes with zero relief. If anything when I resumed my old diet and stopped all supplements etc I improved slightly.

I am very sorry for the long post. So heres my question again: Should I just give up and except a miserable painful life or keep plugging for answers? Also does this sound like IBS to you guys? I seem to have a lot of red flags indicating it is not? PLEASE HELP! Thank you xx

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: KatieTattie
crowgirl (12-12-2011), meirocco (12-27-2011), wboothe (12-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

crowgirl HB User
Re: LIVING HELL! Should I give up or keep searching for answers??

First of all, let me give you a big {{{hug}}} of support. I'm with you on the "fuming angry" - so often, doctors just dismiss a patient they perceive as "complicated", especially when the patient is as young as you are. Been there, done that.

Please, do not give up! There are still plenty of things you can do. The first step is something you've already done - going online and starting to do your own research.

Now, I'm no doctor, but your symptoms sound a lot like they could be connected to a hormonal imbalance. In fact, they remind me a lot of what many women going through menopause complain of. You mentioned your GP found low estrogen levels - can you remember on which day of your cycle the blood sample was taken? (Do you have regular cycles?)

Actually, I had the nausea, night sweats, hair loss, palpitations and muscle pain myself before my gyno started me on a low-dose HRT. Now I only have some mild muscle pain and occasionally some mild palpitations when I'm on my period.

In any case, please keep on posting on these boards. I'm sure you will find plenty of support and (hopefully) some answers here!

Best wishes!!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

meirocco HB User
Re: LIVING HELL! Should I give up or keep searching for answers??

Have you had blood work done? bruising easily is a deficiency sign in potassium. i have ibs, it was diagnosed by getting an endoscope done, and my colon spazed. that was years ago. they do have a hydrogen breath test that can tell you if its something called small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. my symptoms from both are different, but its worth a shot if its intestinal related to get some gi tests done, not just diagnosis, but something to back it up. good luck

Closed Thread