It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

crowgirl HB User
IBS and Cymbalta

About three years ago, I was given Cymbalta by a psychiatrist to treat my IBS. It worked great for about 1.5 years - no more pain or loose BMs, food allergies subsiding significantly, lactose intolerance all but gone, lots more energy, and a new outlook on life. Since Jan 2010, however, I've been suffering from burnout/atypical depression, due to a combination of stressful life events in the 3-4 months before that, and the IBS symptoms have partly returned since then as well.

Despite treating the burnout w/ psychotherapy, life style changes and stress reduction in general, my energy levels are still low. I'm unable to work, and my apartment looks a complete mess. (Not to mention I have no energy for hobbies or a proper social life.)

The Cymbalta gave me so much energy at first, but now that aspect seems to have stopped working. In fact, it feels as if the Cymbalta was aggravating my depression instead of improving it. I tried taking the 30 mg capsules instead of my regular 60 mg ones at one point, and bingo, I had lots more energy and motivation and got lots more done. Unfortunately, my IBS came back after 2 days, so I had to go back to 60 mgs.

Since I obviously still need the Cymbalta for my IBS, my psychiatrist doesn't want to switch me to any other depression meds. Other meds for IBS never worked for me properly before, so there doesn't seem to be an alternative, esp. for the abdominal pain.

Even so, I still have occasional IBS flare-ups despite the Cymbalta, especially when I've overdone it the day before, or during the 1st half of my cycle (which is also when my energy is at its lowest, not just during my period, but the whole first 10-12 days of my cycle). I tried taking 90 mgs during those times, but that didn't do anything for me, so again, I went back to 60 mgs.

My question now is, has anyone here been on Cymbalta for more than, say, 1-2 years and experienced a lessening of its effectiveness as well? My psychiatrist thinks it's not possible for the Cymbalta to stop working or to work less well over time, but my symptoms are indicating otherwise.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: IBS and Cymbalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowgirl View Post
About three years ago, I was given Cymbalta by a psychiatrist to treat my IBS. It worked great for about 1.5 years - no more pain or loose BMs, food allergies subsiding significantly, lactose intolerance all but gone, lots more energy, and a new outlook on life. Since Jan 2010, however, I've been suffering from burnout/atypical depression, due to a combination of stressful life events in the 3-4 months before that, and the IBS symptoms have partly returned since then as well.

Despite treating the burnout w/ psychotherapy, life style changes and stress reduction in general, my energy levels are still low. I'm unable to work, and my apartment looks a complete mess. (Not to mention I have no energy for hobbies or a proper social life.)

The Cymbalta gave me so much energy at first, but now that aspect seems to have stopped working. In fact, it feels as if the Cymbalta was aggravating my depression instead of improving it. I tried taking the 30 mg capsules instead of my regular 60 mg ones at one point, and bingo, I had lots more energy and motivation and got lots more done. Unfortunately, my IBS came back after 2 days, so I had to go back to 60 mgs.

Since I obviously still need the Cymbalta for my IBS, my psychiatrist doesn't want to switch me to any other depression meds. Other meds for IBS never worked for me properly before, so there doesn't seem to be an alternative, esp. for the abdominal pain.

Even so, I still have occasional IBS flare-ups despite the Cymbalta, especially when I've overdone it the day before, or during the 1st half of my cycle (which is also when my energy is at its lowest, not just during my period, but the whole first 10-12 days of my cycle). I tried taking 90 mgs during those times, but that didn't do anything for me, so again, I went back to 60 mgs.

My question now is, has anyone here been on Cymbalta for more than, say, 1-2 years and experienced a lessening of its effectiveness as well? My psychiatrist thinks it's not possible for the Cymbalta to stop working or to work less well over time, but my symptoms are indicating otherwise.

Thanks a lot in advance!!
I have never been on Cymbalta for IBS or depression but was on Prozac for six years but the Prozac stopped working so I had to switch to Wellbutrin last November 2010. You may need to see a new doctor if your doctor is unwilling to try other medications.
Have you ever tried taking probiotics for your IBS ? I take acidophulus twice a day, Citrucel twice a day and L-glutamine powder once a day and a Bentyl once a day and all these things help my colon spasms. I have to watch what I eat because I also have a lot of food allergies. The foods that aggravate my IBS the most are spicy,acidic,greasy,and gassy foods. The spicy,acidic,and greasy foods cause the most colon spasms and explosive diarrhea episodes that can last 2-4 hours. Citrucel can help add bulk to your bowel movements so they're more firm. Eating bananas can help with loose bowel movements as well as white rice. Have you ever considered setting a schedule at a certain time to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement ? This helps to retrain your bowels to have a bowel movement at the same time every day. I do this every day for myself because I have the constipation part of IBS and this has been the only way for me to keep my bowels moving every day.

Closed Thread