It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

LuSmith HB User
Worried about symptoms..

Hey guys..

Doctors are convinced I just have IBS and brush off my symptoms all the time. I worried that I would need a colonscopy which I haven't had to test for anything else as I have a slight family history of bowel issues, but doctor thinks at 27 I'm too young and it's unneccesary.

I don't know whether this is normal for IBS but I get quite severe rectal cramps that are ongoing.. it may well be constipation but sometimes when I can go its just soft and sticky and I don't see any pebbles ever come out. I also feel this pain radiating around my buttocks, lower back and coccyx and down my thighs/legs.. I'm confused. I feel cramps and such in my abdomen and feel weird and have a full feeling in my rectum all the time like I need to go or like I haven't gone even when I have.

I know these probably sound like IBS symptoms, I'm just paranoid its something else... I've never heard of IBS that caused ongoing rectal pain or radiated down the buttocks or legs unless constipation does this regularly. Nor have I heard of constipation that makes you feel the pressure in your perinium..

I'm scared its something else. Advice?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Worried about symptoms..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSmith View Post
Hey guys..

Doctors are convinced I just have IBS and brush off my symptoms all the time. I worried that I would need a colonscopy which I haven't had to test for anything else as I have a slight family history of bowel issues, but doctor thinks at 27 I'm too young and it's unneccesary.

I don't know whether this is normal for IBS but I get quite severe rectal cramps that are ongoing.. it may well be constipation but sometimes when I can go its just soft and sticky and I don't see any pebbles ever come out. I also feel this pain radiating around my buttocks, lower back and coccyx and down my thighs/legs.. I'm confused. I feel cramps and such in my abdomen and feel weird and have a full feeling in my rectum all the time like I need to go or like I haven't gone even when I have.

I know these probably sound like IBS symptoms, I'm just paranoid its something else... I've never heard of IBS that caused ongoing rectal pain or radiated down the buttocks or legs unless constipation does this regularly. Nor have I heard of constipation that makes you feel the pressure in your perinium..

I'm scared its something else. Advice?
I have IBS and chronic constipation issues and I can tell you from my painful experiences with constipation that the rectal pain and pressure is usually caused by constipation and is usually relieved once I have been able to have pass the large hard stool. Feeling like you need to move your bowels even though you may have already done so only a few minutes before is a very common problem with people who have IBS. The cramping is from the colon going into a spasm.
I can only tell you from my awful experiences with severe chronic constipation all my life I have had to make major dietary and bowel habits changes to keep from getting constipated. I make myself sit on the toilet every morning at the same time for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement, The best method I have found that helps me have a pain free bowel movement is to do slow deep breathing exercises as it relaxes all your muscles which makes it easy to pass the stool. I also eat a high fiber diet and drink lots of water and take citrucel twice a day. I can't even skip one day or I have major problems the next time I need to move my bowels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
(female)

RetiredSue HB User
Re: Worried about symptoms..

I know about rectal spasms...they are horrible. After my hysterectomy where they found tons of endometriosis, the rectal spasms disappeared. My surgeon told me she had to scrape it off everywhere, including the rectum. Maybe an issue for you? It probably is IBS because IBS sure causes bloating which might give you that heavy feeling down there.

Closed Thread