It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

kd1126 HB User
Not sure what is going on... might not be IBS. HELP!!

Hi there. I need any and all help that I can get. Here's my history regarding this issue.

About a year ago, I got MRSA twice, both times the doc gave me clyndomyacin to treat it, since i'm allergic to Bactrum. The 2nd time I took it, she gave me a double dose so that it would knock the mrsa out of my system, which it did! But, since then, I've had major stomach issues. The doctor thought I might have gotten c diff, but was tested negative for it 3 times. Long story short, i've been tested for anything and everything and nothing has come back as positive. I've had multiple tests (colonoscopy, ultrasound, x-rays, etc) and nothing has shown up. My doctor has also done lots of blood tests for IBS, Crohn's, celiac (sp?) disease, etc. again, nothing. Since nothing could make it worse, they did put me on multiple medications also to help treat some of these things, just in case.

My symptoms are that I cannot eat anything without having to find a bathroom immediately. I haven't had a solid BM in over a year. The one good thing I guess is that i'm not losing weight from all of this.

So all of that has been going on for a year. Now in the past 3 or so weeks, all of this has been accompianied by constant nausea. In addition, I seem to be constantly hungry too. Sometimes it can get so bad that I start to shake and sweat and get headaches. If I eat something, it gets a little better, but then it starts all over again. I feel like i'm eating all the time!

I know that I have missed a ton of things that i've been tested or treated for, but after a year, it's hard to remember it all.

So, any and all help or ideas is appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Not sure what is going on... might not be IBS. HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd1126 View Post
Hi there. I need any and all help that I can get. Here's my history regarding this issue.

About a year ago, I got MRSA twice, both times the doc gave me clyndomyacin to treat it, since i'm allergic to Bactrum. The 2nd time I took it, she gave me a double dose so that it would knock the mrsa out of my system, which it did! But, since then, I've had major stomach issues. The doctor thought I might have gotten c diff, but was tested negative for it 3 times. Long story short, i've been tested for anything and everything and nothing has come back as positive. I've had multiple tests (colonoscopy, ultrasound, x-rays, etc) and nothing has shown up. My doctor has also done lots of blood tests for IBS, Crohn's, celiac (sp?) disease, etc. again, nothing. Since nothing could make it worse, they did put me on multiple medications also to help treat some of these things, just in case.

My symptoms are that I cannot eat anything without having to find a bathroom immediately. I haven't had a solid BM in over a year. The one good thing I guess is that i'm not losing weight from all of this.

So all of that has been going on for a year. Now in the past 3 or so weeks, all of this has been accompianied by constant nausea. In addition, I seem to be constantly hungry too. Sometimes it can get so bad that I start to shake and sweat and get headaches. If I eat something, it gets a little better, but then it starts all over again. I feel like i'm eating all the time!

I know that I have missed a ton of things that i've been tested or treated for, but after a year, it's hard to remember it all.

So, any and all help or ideas is appreciated. Thanks!
Try eating yogurt everyday and taking acidophilus by mouth three times a day. It will take some time to build up the good bacteria that was destroyed by the antibiotics you were on for so long. This may sound crazy but taking either Citrucel or Metamucil will help to add bulk to your stool. Just make sure you drink one 8 oz. glass of water before and after taking either one of these fiber supplements because otherwise you will end up with constipation. The stool will just sit in the colon and becomes hard and dried out and make it almost impossible to pass without lot of straining and forcing the stool out and causing a lot pain to go with it.
I wish doctor's and hospitals would tell patients about eating yogurt and taking acidophilus while on antibiotics ! It sure would help alleviate a lot gastrointestinal distress for patients. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria(called flora) in our intestines as well as the bad bacteria.

Closed Thread