It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
(female)

bartonse HB Userbartonse HB User
Docs confirm IBS but I'm not so sure . . .

I've had blood tests, an xray transit study and a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Blood tests show an underactive thyroid but this is now under control. Both the xray and sigmoid tests came back as 'normal'.

I've had problems with my stomach & bowels since I was a child. Mainly constipation and bloating with the odd reversal in symptoms every now and again but this is becoming less common.

I'm happy to go along with what the docs say as long as it's right and I'm not so sure. If it's just IBS then how come I bloat as soon as I start eating? My stomach gets so big I look heavily pregnant, I get heart burn and acid reflux. The pain can be so unbearable that I've almost got to A&E a couple of times.

My thinking is that if was just IBS then the symptoms would happen as food was digesting, not as I'm eating it!?

Does anyone have similar problems?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Docs confirm IBS but I'm not so sure . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonhouse View Post
I've had blood tests, an xray transit study and a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Blood tests show an underactive thyroid but this is now under control. Both the xray and sigmoid tests came back as 'normal'.

I've had problems with my stomach & bowels since I was a child. Mainly constipation and bloating with the odd reversal in symptoms every now and again but this is becoming less common.

I'm happy to go along with what the docs say as long as it's right and I'm not so sure. If it's just IBS then how come I bloat as soon as I start eating? My stomach gets so big I look heavily pregnant, I get heart burn and acid reflux. The pain can be so unbearable that I've almost got to A&E a couple of times.

My thinking is that if was just IBS then the symptoms would happen as food was digesting, not as I'm eating it!?

Does anyone have similar problems?
It maybe what you're eating that is causing bloating because the food is gassy. You may want to keep a food diary for two weeks, write down everything you eat and drink,what time you eat, and how it affects the bloating,acid reflux, and moving your bowels. The foods that are gassy that cause me problems are baked beans,asparagus,brussel sprouts,cabbage, cauliflour,broccoli,soda. Many people who have IBS have other digestive problems like acid reflux. Don't lie down for at least two hours after eating,use a wedge pillow to raise your head and or put your bed on risers, watch the food you eat. Try drinking a glass of milk before you start eating to help coat your stomach. I tend to get bloating if I have trapped gas that I can't expel if I haven't had a bowel movement in several days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
(female)

I've tried a food diary and found no pattern with my stomach problems and specific foods. According to the docs I don't have any intolerances either.

The last thing that made me bad was chicken curry with rice, I was in tears because of the pain. Had the same thing the next week so see if it was a thing to leave out of my diet but had no problems. It all seems very random!

I tend to have a lot of pillows anyway so sleeping is ok. I just forget not to bend down after having a meal sometimes and that's not good!!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
(male)

iamkinghenry HB User

It was diagnosed with IBS then 2 1/2 years later I tested positive for Giardia Lamblia.

I didn't see that you had 3 separate stool samples done for Ova and Parasites. Get that done definitely.

During my testing I got a basic stool sample, blood work, colonoscopy, endoscopy, MRI with contrast, more blood work, then finally 3 stool samples for Ova and Parasite.

Hope it helps.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I thought having a colonic might help so had one a few days ago. Felt great for a few hours . . until I ate . . then the bloating returned and my stomach is still making some awfully loud rumbling noises.

So. . . even with empty bowels i'm still having problems.

Closed Thread

Tags
bowels, constipation, ibs, stomach, xray