It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

Cynthia35 HB User
Could this really be IBS? Please respond - I am very worried.

Hi there. My symptoms for the last month (Mostly on a daily basis) are:

Burning pain in left bowel area (opposite navel) sometimes with flank pain.

Having a bowel movement 2 - 3 times a week only ( no blood in stool, normal colour and shape.) And it feels like there is still some left in there each time i do have a BM.

Constant upset stomach.

Bloating on a regular basis.

I have developed some new pain over the last three days:

Uncomfortable abdominal ache in epigastric area (above my navel, in the middle of stomach) and with that pain i get waves of nausea.

Before the current pain i've been having over the last three days, my doctor suspects i have IBS. She ordered a Full Blood Count and Urinalysis, which i have done and am currently awaiting the results of those. Theses are just basic tests though, and I fear that if i have something more serious ( location of pain could be due to Pancreatic, Ovarian or Colon/Bowel cancer) then the longer i leave it, the more bad the prognosis.)

Judging from the symptoms, could i really have just Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Does anyone else get these symptoms with that? If not, which of the ones mentioned do you have?

My pain has gone on day after day for a month - It is sometimes mild, and sometimes moderate. It is very uncomfortable and gets me down. And on top of that i am worried sick that i may have an undiagnosed cancer, which is never going to get seen to until it is too late.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Could this really be IBS? Please respond - I am very worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia35 View Post
Hi there. My symptoms for the last month (Mostly on a daily basis) are:

Burning pain in left bowel area (opposite navel) sometimes with flank pain.

Having a bowel movement 2 - 3 times a week only ( no blood in stool, normal colour and shape.) And it feels like there is still some left in there each time i do have a BM.

Constant upset stomach.

Bloating on a regular basis.

I have developed some new pain over the last three days:

Uncomfortable abdominal ache in epigastric area (above my navel, in the middle of stomach) and with that pain i get waves of nausea.

Before the current pain i've been having over the last three days, my doctor suspects i have IBS. She ordered a Full Blood Count and Urinalysis, which i have done and am currently awaiting the results of those. Theses are just basic tests though, and I fear that if i have something more serious ( location of pain could be due to Pancreatic, Ovarian or Colon/Bowel cancer) then the longer i leave it, the more bad the prognosis.)

Judging from the symptoms, could i really have just Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Does anyone else get these symptoms with that? If not, which of the ones mentioned do you have?

My pain has gone on day after day for a month - It is sometimes mild, and sometimes moderate. It is very uncomfortable and gets me down. And on top of that i am worried sick that i may have an undiagnosed cancer, which is never going to get seen to until it is too late.
It sounds like you have IBS with constipation. If you have hard stools to pass and you're straining to pass them,then you're constipated. Do you have pain while having a bowel movement ? Try drinking lots more water and slowly adding fiber to your diet over a two week period. Schedule time to sit on the toilet every day to have a bowel movement at the same time. This helps to establish regularity. Try taking Citrucel twice a day as that will help keep your stools soft and easier to pass.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
Cynthia35 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

When I had the pain on the left side and a change in bowel habit a Colonoscopy showed I had Diverticulitis. (this would depend on your age). When I had pain and pressure in my naval-area and nausea an Endoscopy showed I had had an ulcer and had IBS and a Hiatal-Hernia.
A lot of these symptoms show similarities. Go along with your Drs advice and ask for further investigation if you are still concerned.
Cancer is unlikely as you would have other relating symptoms.
I wish you well.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Cynthia35 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

Cynthia35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
It sounds like you have IBS with constipation. If you have hard stools to pass and you're straining to pass them,then you're constipated. Do you have pain while having a bowel movement ? Try drinking lots more water and slowly adding fiber to your diet over a two week period. Schedule time to sit on the toilet every day to have a bowel movement at the same time. This helps to establish regularity. Try taking Citrucel twice a day as that will help keep your stools soft and easier to pass.
Thanks for your response. Well, I am not sure if I am constipated or not; my stools are mostly solid, and I suppose you could say that I strain a little to get them out. Only one time did i have any pain trying to pass one (It felt extremely sore inside, and I've not had that pain before). I have started to drink more water but have yet to add more fibre into my diet. Is it common with IBS to feel like you have had an incomplete bowel movement? It often feels as though there is a little bit still inside. I forgot to mention that i also have flatulence most of the time and gas.

I will take your advice and see if those things you mentioned help matters.

IBS sounds like a lousy condition, but i am praying that is all i have.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

Cynthia35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
When I had the pain on the left side and a change in bowel habit a Colonoscopy showed I had Diverticulitis. (this would depend on your age). When I had pain and pressure in my naval-area and nausea an Endoscopy showed I had had an ulcer and had IBS and a Hiatal-Hernia.
A lot of these symptoms show similarities. Go along with your Drs advice and ask for further investigation if you are still concerned.
Cancer is unlikely as you would have other relating symptoms.
I wish you well.

Solofelix.
Thanks for your reply...It is very helpful. At around what age is Diverticulitis usually diagnosed? As i am 35 years old. Yes, An ulcer also causes pain in the area that I have it, so that could be another possibility. That is another worry, as it can become a medical emergency if not treated, can't it. I don't think i have a Hiatal-Hernia, but who knows! It is a relief to know that i would have other relating symptoms if it was cancer, and considering it has been a month, I am sure that I'd have more symptoms by now and feel much worse than I do.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Cynthia,
It does sound like IBS. You can be constipated or have Diarrhea. Its not unusual to have numerous bowel movements in a day or not go at all, with me Gas/bloating is an almost daily occurrence, Ive also had the pains and nausea.
It is possible to have too much fibre and I have had to adjust my intake many times.
Try prunes/prune juice also some fresh/dried figs when you cant go, both are very good and better than laxatives.
Have you seen your Dr for a diagnoses, if not then I'd advice it.
All the best,

Solofelix.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
(female)

NoRelief HB User

Hi Cynthia,

regarding your symptoms you could have lactose or fructose malabsorption or be intolerant to FODMAPS (ie fermentable sugars found in some grains, fruits and veg etc). This leads to extreme gas and pain. Diagnosed by a breath test. However, the pain is usually in the lower abdomen. This is well researched in Australia.

Another thought - it could be an idea to get tested for the Helicobacter Pylori bug which causes nausea, pain etc. This bug is the cause of ulcers. It is treated with antibiotics. Testing is by breath test, or gastroscopy/biopsy.

Last edited by NoRelief; 01-21-2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Posted a website. Sorry.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
(male)

jon66 HB User

hi
these symptoms sound similar to mine , im a 46 year old male.
brief history , started exactly a year ago with severe pain in lower right abdomen and lots of acid reflux which cleared up after 2 weeks.then i started passing black BM`s which was the trigger to see a doctor . samples were taken and turned out i had h-pylori. took medication for this but didnt really feel much better and got checked out again , the h-pylori had gone. was put on lansoprazole and went for endoscopy which revealed gastritis . still had aches / pains that came and went right lower abdomen and into my back . been back to the doctors many times and getting nowhere, been on buscopan and colofac , the last few days had lots of bloating and wind from both ends and discomfort low down . BM`s seem normal , no blood but always have the feeling i can go again but nothing there . some times they are solid others a bit looser but not really diarroeah . appetite is good though i tend to feel full quickly then the gas issues start , i lost 10 kg on purpose in the autumn then stopped the siet and ate normally and my weight is back up to 100kg purposely . today i have no low down aches and pains but still feel i could do a BM. hoping its just ibs but worried about cancers etc but id have thought after a year id show weight loss , lack of appetite and blood loss down below ??
hope you get sorted

Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi jon66,
I also had H.Pylori (gone now) and have been left with all your symptoms. Had every test available and have finally been diagnosed with a Hiatal-Hernia and IBS.
I personally feel that the H.Pylori teatment has played havoc with my intestines. PPIs were prescribed but did nothing for me.
The thing I found the most helpful was cutting out all forms of sugar,cakes,pastries,biscuits and bread infact anything made with white flour. I did this for four months and the symptoms were much improved.
Trouble is I lost nearly 14 lbs in weight which I couldnt afford as I am quite thin normally.
Gas/Bloating is my biggest problem also I cant stick to the diet.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
(male)

jon66 HB User

hi and thanks for reply.
i didnt have any lower abdomen issues until i took the medication for h-pylori . it may have cured that infection but ive not felt consistently well ever since, maybe the odd few days i feel good then at least 1 symptom returns.I dont appear to have acid reflux anymore which is good but the burning sensation lower right abdomen comes and goes then the ache across the navel to left side then the wanting to go to the loo but cant do anything starts.
The dieting idea sounds good but i work 12 hour shifts so my eating pattern goes to pot while working and its so easy to snack on bits and bobs on the long night shifts.
ive had ultrasounds which found nothing but a benign mass of blood vessels on the liver (when tested) and a series of blood tests, the last batch came back clear today but in the past had raised enzyme level on the liver function, but even thats at near normal levels now. the only thing ive not had is colonoscopy so maybe if i get back to the docs and get one sorted it would at least hopefully rule out anything bad going on in that area. as i say, appetite is good, no blood in stools now gastritis and h-pylori cleared and no unintentional weight loss. im 80% sure its IBS but why has it only appeared since the h-pylori bug ??

Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon66 View Post
hi and thanks for reply.
i didnt have any lower abdomen issues until i took the medication for h-pylori . it may have cured that infection but ive not felt consistently well ever since, maybe the odd few days i feel good then at least 1 symptom returns.I dont appear to have acid reflux anymore which is good but the burning sensation lower right abdomen comes and goes then the ache across the navel to left side then the wanting to go to the loo but cant do anything starts.
The dieting idea sounds good but i work 12 hour shifts so my eating pattern goes to pot while working and its so easy to snack on bits and bobs on the long night shifts.
ive had ultrasounds which found nothing but a benign mass of blood vessels on the liver (when tested) and a series of blood tests, the last batch came back clear today but in the past had raised enzyme level on the liver function, but even thats at near normal levels now. the only thing ive not had is colonoscopy so maybe if i get back to the docs and get one sorted it would at least hopefully rule out anything bad going on in that area. as i say, appetite is good, no blood in stools now gastritis and h-pylori cleared and no unintentional weight loss. im 80% sure its IBS but why has it only appeared since the h-pylori bug ??

Hi,
I never had IBS until after H.Pylori.

I just dont have an answer for that. Solofelix.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
(male)

jon66 HB User

im not sure if mine is IBS. Had pain in lower middle back on and off all weekend , then that goes its in both sides above kidney areas , now today its lower right abdomen like a burning sensation on and off and radiates into top of right leg and groin. it changes from day to day . had a normal BM this morning then 2 hours later diarroeah which i rarely get . im also finding if im on the move , busy etc the symptoms are virtually gone, sit down for a period of time and it flares up quickly. not had so much gas this last few days either. doctor is no help at all , keep getting fobbed off since scans and endoscopy came back clear. if it is ibs fair enough , at least i can live with something i know isnt terminal !

Last edited by jon66; 01-30-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi jon66,
Have you actually been told you have IBS.
If not I would press for further investigation, maybe a Colonoscopy, I've had two.
Sometimes it takes a number of Investigations to find the problem.
I have been diagnosed with Diverticulitis, Hiatal-Hernia and now IBS. I had so many different tests, you should not be just fobbed off.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread