It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User
Does anyone know why butter would cause problems with IBS?

When I say "butter" I mean real butter, not margarine. I've never had a problem with eating butter before, but lately I get bad cramping and diarrhea from it. I'm normally only bothered by tomatoes. Does anyone else have trouble with butter? And does anyone know why butter might cause upset?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Does anyone know why butter would cause problems with IBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineLennon View Post
When I say "butter" I mean real butter, not margarine. I've never had a problem with eating butter before, but lately I get bad cramping and diarrhea from it. I'm normally only bothered by tomatoes. Does anyone else have trouble with butter? And does anyone know why butter might cause upset?
Butter is very high in fat and most people who have IBS, like myself if I eat a real high fat meal that can cause severe abdominal cramps,lots of gas and explosive diarrhea. This can last up 2 or more hours after eating a meal high in fat. Also many people have problems dairy products because they're lactose intolerant. Cut back on your butter consumption and see if this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
Alex6657 (01-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
Butter is very high in fat and most people who have IBS, like myself if I eat a real high fat meal that can cause severe abdominal cramps,lots of gas and explosive diarrhea. This can last up 2 or more hours after eating a meal high in fat. Also many people have problems dairy products because they're lactose intolerant. Cut back on your butter consumption and see if this helps.
Thank you. I kind of figured it had something to do with the fat content, because I'm not lactose intolerant. I generally don't eat much butter, but there have been three incidents in the past few months where I had more than usual and paid for it after.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
(male)

deand HB User

[QUOTE=ImagineLennon;4920070]When I say "butter" I mean real butter, not margarine. I've never had a problem with eating butter before, but lately I get bad cramping and diarrhea from it. I'm normally only bothered by tomatoes. Does anyone else have trouble with butter? And does anyone know why butter might cause upset?[/QUOTE

You could be lactose intolerant like I used to be. Very similar issues between the two.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deand View Post
You could be lactose intolerant like I used to be. Very similar issues between the two.
I'm not. I have no problems with any other dairy products.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
(male)

deand HB User

Quote:
I'm not. I have no problems with any other dairy products.
You may only have lactose problems with certain foods higher in fat. I remember when I used to have IBS, I could tolerate skim milk but my cousin had a lot of problems with regular milk. My guess would be the fat content as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deand View Post
You may only have lactose problems with certain foods higher in fat. I remember when I used to have IBS, I could tolerate skim milk but my cousin had a lot of problems with regular milk. My guess would be the fat content as well.
Then I should also have a problem with milk since I drink homogenized, but I don't. I am not lactose intolerant. But thanks anyway

Last edited by Alex6657; 02-08-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
(female)

teresa4099 HB User

My daughter is 11 and has irritable bowel syndrome.
She's also allergic to milk.
When she eats butter, drinks milk, anything to do with dairy, her stomach starts acting up. I forgot to mention she's allergic to beef also.
This means she has to stay away from pretty much anything to do with a cow.
Has anyone found anything that really helps them with their IBS symptoms?
I hate watching her suffer. She hurts so much she is screaming and crying she's in such pain.
They give her dicyclomine at her drs. but I've been told that aloe helps. Has anyone tried this or something else that might work really well?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
(male)

deand HB User

Quote:
Then I should also have a problem with milk since I drink homogenized, but I don't. I am not lactose intolerant. But thanks anyway

Have you been tested?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
(male)

deand HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresastrong View Post
When she eats butter, drinks milk, anything to do with dairy, her stomach starts acting up. I forgot to mention she's allergic to beef also.
I hate watching her suffer. She hurts so much she is screaming and crying she's in such pain.
They give her dicyclomine at her drs. but I've been told that aloe helps. Has anyone tried this or something else that might work really well?
I used to do the same thing in pain. IBS was just coming to term when I had it. I am 43 now. I went through all of the testing, only to find I was lactose intolerant and that I had IBS. They eventually sent me to a shrink because they felt it was all in my head. I have OCD and high anxiety and still suffer from it. You may want to look at that as another approach even though she may say things do not bother her, as I did at that age and did not know the difference.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresastrong View Post
I have had IBS since 1996 and found dicyclomine doesn't work alone. I take acidophilus twice a day,L-glutamine powder,and digestive enzymes, and Citrucell twice a day. The Citrucell helps keep your bowels moving on a regular basis plus it keeps the stool soft and formed and adds bulk to it. Although I tend to have constipation more than diarrhea, the Citrucell does helps with the diarrhea part as well. For me the best way to keep the IBS and constipation under control is make sure I sit on the toilet every day at the same time to have a bowel movement. Drink 64 oz. a day of water and eat a high fiber diet because our diet and drinking water plays a big part in helping control the IBS symptoms in the first place. Stress,anxiety,and depression can make IBS a lot worse as well. I hope this will help your daughter's IBS symptoms to improve drastically.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
(female)

teresa4099 HB User

Thank you, I will try this. I am willing to try anything at this point. She suffers so much.

Teresa

Closed Thread