I'm brand spanking new to this site, but I've read forums before that I've attempted to take advice from. Currently my problem feels like it's out of control. Sorry in advance - this is probably gonna be a long one.
I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 17 after I was woken up from having terrible shooting chest and lower stomach pains. (The weirdest part is, I remember having tummy pains that would wake me up when I was little - my mom always rubbed Bengay on my stomach to ease it a bit. I've since then tried IcyHot with a reliving success, but obviously, it doesn't make me "go.") I went to the doctor for an xray to find out (to be blunt) there was a giant poo in my intestines causing pressure.
I've self diagnosed
myself with IBS-C since mine is to the point where sometimes I won't have a BM for a week. The first 4 days I feel pretty normal, but when the last part of the week comes around, I get extremely bloated, crampy, and so cranky my poor boyfriend doesn't want anything to do with me. I'll wake up around 5 or 6 am with stomach pains so bad I can't sleep. The only relief of this is knowing I'll be having a BM the next day, but it's sad that I have to lose sleep over it!
ONWARD to the things I've tried to help with the issue:
1) Change in diet and adding exercise.
- I'm a homemaker currently and don't get out much. I do cook almost everything from scratch, which makes going out to eat taste like crap. It also makes me sick. Now I'm stuck at home even more. Adding consistent exercise is hard sometimes since I'm in MinneSNOWta where it's absolutely freezing. Even walking to throw out the trash is unbearable. (And I'm a complete wuss!) This didn't help.
2) Prunes and Prune juice
- DEAR GOD you have no clue what this did to me! I ate 4 or 5 prunes one day that totally made me go, and it was a "normal" BM (for me), but it only worked the first time. After that my body wasn't affected. The prune juice I still cannot stomach. YUCK.
- I thought this was a Godsend. Same as the prunes - it gave me relief the first time I used it, but didn't work after that - and the gas and bloating it gave me made me not want to use it. When I took it a week straight, I decided I couldn't take it and have a social life or ever return to a job again, so I quit that habit quick.
4) (Getting really
- After not having a BM for about 5 days, I was to the point I cried about it. My boyfriend got me Miralax after I did some studying on the side effects and figuring it would work for me (I'm also very easily persuaded. Damn personality traits!) I gave it a go. Mixed it with a giant glass of water and gulped it down. Definitely wasn't as nasty as the Metamucil, so I immediately though "PLUS!" Ugh, I was so wrong. I didn't go the next day, or the day after. ONE WEEK, no BM. I began taking Metamucil everyday after that until finally, BAM. HOLY GOD, it was BAD
<<<--- that is exactly what my butt hole felt like. I sat on the toilet for over an hour and felt like I was going to DIE. What began as an easily passed BM turned into diarrhea (which is completely abnormal for me as an IBS-C sufferer) and didn't stop until I was drained. I never took that $h!t again!
5) Citrucel Pills
- This I just tried a couple days ago. We spent the weekend in the cities with the in-laws due to the bathroom being torn apart from a leaky toilet (ironic for an IBS sufferer, eh?) Need I mention, the second they pulled the toilet up, I actually had to go
but can't go in public or strange places? I was screwed instantly.
We go to his parents' and I explained to his mom my little issue. She's on a gluten free diet and takes probiotics which she says has done wonders! Once I'm working and can afford that, that is definitely my next attempt at IBS relief! She also suggested Citrucel. I read the label carefully knowing I didn't want what happened with the Miralax to happen again. It was fiber specifically for IBS sufferers. I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel
. I could cry right now thinking about this. I waited two days until we got home to even feel like I could go. The exact same thing that happened with the Miralax/Metamucil attempt happened again.
This time, I feel like it was even worse. I felt as if I was about to vomit as I was on the toilet, and was shaking, having cold sweats, and suffering anxiety all at once. All I wanted to do was cry, but I knew I would lose it if I did. The worse part is, our floor is torn up, the bathroom is a construction site, and it's hotter than Hades thanks to these stupid industrial fans to dry up the floors from the leak on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!! PANIC MODE, ACTIVATE! If that wasn't enough to make me want to crap myself!
I NEED HELP! I feel as though I've tried enough to be completely turned off to stool softeners and fiber supplements. I'm SCARED to try anything else! What doesn't help is that the doctors in my town are NOT trustworthy, and I'm in the middle of nowhere to have to see a gastro regularly. I guess what I'm needing is home remedies or advice from someone that had issues with the previous list as I did.
Side note: I have a light allergy to lactose, but not enough to have to cut out dairy completely.
ANY advice is helpful! I appreciate those who have taken the time to read over this post, too. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!