It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
(female)

krazy4nj HB User
Relief from IBS (Constipation)

I am not sure if IBS is my ONLY diagnosis but it seems to bring many other symptoms that compound it. There are times I am so constipated that my stomach protrudes so much I can not wear certain clothes. I also get quite a bit of acid in the back of my throat when it happens. Prescription and over the counter antacids don't help. I take amitiza (2x daily~3x on occasion), colcrys (2x daily), misopostrol (4x daily) and milk of magnesia (daily before bed time)....

I'm thinking of just stopping all drugs since they don't seem to be helping but of course my doctor doesn't agree.

I am a good eater...salads, fruits, vegetables at every meal. I am not a fan of breads or cereals as they seem to just bloat me. I can't drink any more water than I do per day either.

Is there something I am missing or is it just my "lazy bowel" as my doctor suggests?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Relief from IBS (Constipation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4nj View Post
I am not sure if IBS is my ONLY diagnosis but it seems to bring many other symptoms that compound it. There are times I am so constipated that my stomach protrudes so much I can not wear certain clothes. I also get quite a bit of acid in the back of my throat when it happens. Prescription and over the counter antacids don't help. I take amitiza (2x daily~3x on occasion), colcrys (2x daily), misopostrol (4x daily) and milk of magnesia (daily before bed time)....

I'm thinking of just stopping all drugs since they don't seem to be helping but of course my doctor doesn't agree.

I am a good eater...salads, fruits, vegetables at every meal. I am not a fan of breads or cereals as they seem to just bloat me. I can't drink any more water than I do per day either.

Is there something I am missing or is it just my "lazy bowel" as my doctor suggests?
Some people get what they call slow transit colon,the stools doesn't move down the colon fast enough so it becomes dried out and hard making it almost impossible to pass without straining and forcing the stool out. I have IBS and constipation issues all my life. My doctor put me on Citrucell twice a day as it helps soften the stool and help you maintain regularity. In order for it to work you must drink at least 1 8 oz. glass of water after each time you take it and I found it works better if you drink an 8 oz. glass of water before as well. From my own personal experience in the last year if I drink enough water and take in enough fiber it helps a lot in keeping your bowel movements soft and having a daily schedule of sitting on the toilet to have a bowel movement. If I do eat right and drink water and faithfully every day sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement then I don't have a problem with getting constipated but when I get lazy and don't stick to my routine then I pay for it dearly . When I do go more than 36 hours without moving my bowels then I use a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool to make it easier to move my bowels and if that doesn't work I use another suppository about 6 hours later. I wish I had paid better attention to my diet,water intake,and poor bowel habits many years ago and I probably wouldn't have suffered from the constipation and it's painful consequences for so long. Menstrual cycles,medications,and sometimes an under active thyroid can contribute to making constipation an ongoing problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
krazy4nj (02-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

The only thing that worked for me was aloe vera juice. Nasty tasting, but it worked! I drank 4 oz. in my iced tea. I cramped some late that night but things got moving. It was a last resort because none of the other stuff worked.

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
krazy4nj (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4nj View Post

I find that prunes do wonders!!! Or grapes...Sunsweet Orange Essence prunes are delicious and do work ...worth a try...MaryAnn

Closed Thread