It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

Rachel Bunny HB User
Women with IBS!

While you're on your period, are you in any more pain than usual? Do you get constipated?

I'm wondering if being on your period has anything to do with digestion. Or how it can affect it.

I was in the worst pain of my life yesterday, all night until I was able to make a bowel movement. I'm still in a little bit of pain, but have just started my period as of a couple of days ago. I'm beginning to think they go hand-in-hand.

Another perk of being a woman

Last edited by Rachel Bunny; 03-02-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
(female)

bartonse HB Userbartonse HB User
Re: Women with IBS!

Hi Rachel Bunny! (Great name)

I actually find that the week I have my period is the only week of the month that I have 'normal' bowel movements. Once or sometimes twice a day. I love it!!

For the rest of the month it's more like once a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

Unbareable HB User

I was diagnosed with IBS about 10 years ago, I am now 31 years old. I noticed that a lot of my symptoms do coincide with my period. I know that I cannot eat certain foods a week before I get my period or I end up not being able to leave the bathroom for about 4 hours. I call this my self cleaning oven. I have issues all month, but once a month the IBS takes care of those issues for me and dumps them all out. I hope you get yours figured out.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbareable View Post
I was diagnosed with IBS about 10 years ago, I am now 31 years old. I noticed that a lot of my symptoms do coincide with my period. I know that I cannot eat certain foods a week before I get my period or I end up not being able to leave the bathroom for about 4 hours. I call this my self cleaning oven. I have issues all month, but once a month the IBS takes care of those issues for me and dumps them all out. I hope you get yours figured out.
I have IBS and my period does play a big role in how often I move my bowels during this time of the month. Taking Advil every 4 hours around the clock for menstrual cramps for 4 days in a row can play havoc on me being able to move my bowels. I already have had chronic constipation issues all my life so this can just add to the misery. I make it a priority in my morning routine I go sit on the toilet for at least 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. I have found I can't allow myself to more than 36 hours without moving my bowels since my last one or it hurts to have a bowel movement after that 36 hour time frame. I found using a glycerin suppository helps to soften the stool so I can go without having to strain or force the stool out. Eating a high fiber diet and drinking lots of water keeps things moving along on a regular basis and keeps your stool soft so it doesn't hurt to go.

Closed Thread