It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
(male)

spitshaw HB User
Is this IBS? Please help!

Apologies but its a bit of a read. Please read, i am desperate!

Ive been suffering from a chronic problem for the last 13 months. It began with the most incredibly severe nausea that would completely incapacitate me to the point of not being able to get out of bed.
I felt so sick i felt as though my body was being crushed, it was horrific.
I felt so shockingly bad that i took myself to the emergency hospital because
it felt like something really serious was going wrong in my health. All of my bowels were sore to touch and id wake with pain in my stomach every
single morning. Id have constant episodes of nothing but mucus coming out
of my back side, and getting lots of problems of painful farts and lots of
burping.

This came from out of nowhere over the space of a few days,
coming on after i did a 2-day fruit cleanse (where i only ate grapes for 2 days). The hospital and follow up doctor appoinment could not find anything wrong with all the usual blood tests and examinations, and said that the temporary diet change was not a factor.

I spent the next 14 days straight in pure agony. I could not function, get out
of bed or do any simple tasks, the nausea was so disabling. Id never ever felt
that ill before, not even close! During this time i began craving food and noticed that when my stomach was constantly full, the nausea would slightly relax and id temporarily feel better. So as long i kept eating id feel slightly better.

As i was eating a lot, i began taking a supplemant called Hydro-Zyme, which is a digestive support supplement, mainly used for protein digestion and to increase the levels of acid in the stomach. I was given this by a nutrional therapist who i had previously seen about issues with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Anyway, all of a sudden, after taking a couple of the stomach acid pills
the nausea died down a LOT. Literally within the hour of taking the pills. I was
extremely happy! I continued to take the pills everytime id eat, or even on an empty stomach, and on each pill id feel relief from the excruciating pain of the constant nausea. I was still waking up with bowel pain and having bowel problems all day long but the pills really helped to calm the nausea which i felt was coming from my stomach.

Then i got to a point where the pills would not help me get completely better.
Although much better than previously, i still felt nauseous.

Now its been 14 months since this problem started, and i have spent
EVERY day for the last 14 months feeling constantly sick and nasueous
Every day without fail. I wake up in the morning with stomach pains and my bowels are tender to press. Then within an hour of waking the nausea hits me and doesnt let up all day long.

Also I feel constantly as if there is a big poo inside me that needs to
come out but never does, i have episodes of just mucus coming from the backside, i have really painful 'pop corn' farts and also more recently over the last 5 months ive developed these horrible migraines/headache that last for hours at a time.

I have had to drop out of university and have not been able to hold down a job. I have no money to survive now and im at the end of my tether. The only times i ever feel well enough to even leave the house is if my stomach is full all day long and i keep eating, or within an hour of drinking alcohol.
If i forget to take the stomach acid pills the nausea gets worse also.

Ive had a colonscopy which was normal and an endoscopy which showed i had an aggressive H.Pylori infection but which was treated with antibiotics,
and did not show up in a stool test afterwards.
All of my many many blood tests hhave shown nothing unusual, i have been evaluated for anxiety/depression and the doctors say im fine from that too. I have been sent to Rhuematology also to rule out any auto-immune problems.
No one can find what is causing my problem and i dont know how much longer i can cope with this for.

All i know is that keeping my stomach full and/or eating fatty and greasy food all day long helps to supress the nausea. The HydroZyme pills also
help to ensure i dont get as bad as i was when it first started, and every time i drink alochol it seems to kill the nausea too. This is all i can tell you, i have no idea what to do!

I need my life back!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
(female)

Laur765 HB User
Re: Is this IBS? Please help!

First off, I must say that I'm so incredibly sorry for all your hardships. I have bowel issues as well, and I can only imagine them being this bad. I hope things get better for you.

I'm not any medical expert here, but it sounds like you have severe IBS secondary to that H. Pylori infection. When I thought I had IBS, I read a lot about it, and it can start because of another infection. I take papaya enzyme, and gas relieving enzymes help also, like beano or gas-x. Trapped gas can cause a lot of stomach pain and nausea. A fiber supplement can be helpful if you feel like you may be constipated.. I often feel like there's just that huge poop trapped inside me, and it makes the stomach pain so much worse. Extra fiber will help soften the stool. It takes a while to work, and it's mainly for prevention rather than treatment, so you can maybe take a gentle laxative like milk of magnesia to jump start things. I know you talked to a lot of doctors, but go to your primary physician and have a conversation with him about what YOU think. Tell him you think it's IBS (if you do some research on it and it sounds like it might be that) and ask him if there's anything he can do to help. There are prescription drugs like anticholinergics that help with GI spasms, which is a big problem with IBS. Hope some of this helps!

Closed Thread