It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
(male)

SeanH90050 HB User
Constipation and Groin Pain - IBS?

Hello, I am not sure what is going on here and thought this may be the best forum to address my problem.

It began one week ago as a dull pain in my lower right abdomen and general nausea with decreased appetite. Since it has spread to my genital region (above/behind right testicle) and into my flank and back under the right rib cage. I have not had a fever or vomiting. The pain is deep and dull/crampy in nature. I do feel some pressure when I urinate now in the area next to and above my genitals, and the side pain is stronger when standing.

I went to the hospital on the 3rd day who did blood/urine work and a CT scan which showed no problems with kidneys, appendix and no UTI. Next day I saw my doctor for hernia and testicle check when the pain in that area increased, which was ok. He suspected constipation after reviewing hospital notes, and said to take laxatives and tylenol. I did so, however, the problem persists, and seems to be getting worse, or at least not going away. Earlier in the year, he suspected I may have IBS but I have yet to do the colonoscopy he ordered (the endoscopy was fine). Until that time, I had been flipping a lot between diarrhea and constipation. But recently my bowel movements had been normal.

Could what I am experiencing be IBS/constipation related? Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
(female)

sahra56 HB User
Re: Constipation and Groin Pain - IBS?

You are not the only one going through this. I have the exact same problem, same symptoms. I've done 2 abdominal CT scans, a endoscopy, colonoscopy, and already been cut open once for an abdominal laparascopy. My most recent CT scan said I was constipated but I go once a day so that doesn't make sense. Next step is a capsulation endoscopy. Pain in the lower right quadrant and the constant feeling as if something is in there and at times there is visible and palpable mass in that exact area. I actually registered here just so I could tell you that you aren't the only one. Anemia that comes and goes too as well as shortness of breath and racing heart that elevates even when I'm just walking through a parking lot. It makes no sense to me and before this started in December I ran at least 25 miles a week and *was* in really great shape. I've recently gained about 20 pounds from this without having any change in my diet. You're not alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to sahra56:
SeanH90050 (03-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
(male)

SeanH90050 HB User

Thanks for the response. I was admitted to the hospital yesterday for gallbladder tests (HDIA scan and ultrasound) along with chest x-rays and blood/urine tests. All clear of problems. I was kept in overnight for observation and wasn't allowed to eat until really late, which even then was small stuff.

My pain has reduced some, but it's still there under the ribs, and occasionally as pressure behind the groin. My doctor suggested it's IBS and acid reflux, and prescribed me omeprazole, which is exactly what the GI doc took me off of 6 weeks ago since he suspected it as the reason for my mild anemia. I have rescheduled the colonoscopy for Thursday, so hopefully that will finally rule out anything major for good and I can live my life again from there.

My biggest problem now though is the panic. This whole thing is just scaring the hell out of me. I keep having episodes worrying about the worst, and I can't get my mind away from it.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

sahra56 HB User

Well, calm down. Perhaps that's easier said than done but I've had three biopsies so far for cancer and come up with nothing. I have gastritis in my stomach (antrum and body) and enlarged lymph nodes in my transverse colon suggesting an immune response. I stopped eating gluten and my bathroom functions went back to normal within a couple of days. I go regularly but apparently the CT stuff says I'm constipated. You can't let fear of something like that ruin your life. In my case, I'm a single mom with two kids-one is autistic. I've been in the Army for 7 years, hence the high level of fitness. I still have the pain and swelling, bloating, all that stuff. I feel worthless at times because I can't participate in physical activities and it prevents me from doing a lot of things with the kids I would love to do. I can't even play baseball or football with my son anymore and that was our "thing". But you can't let it get the best of you because you still have responsibilities and commitments to take care of. At least, that's the way I look at it. I completely understand being scared and worried of the unknown but it's more something you can't possibly change or control...so why spazz out? Just take it one minute at a time and see where it takes you. If anything, since our symptoms are almost identical we can keep each other informed of results. At least that way we know there is someone out there who understands.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
(male)

SeanH90050 HB User

Sounds like a deal. I've had an ok day today with some minor pain. Again the panic and fear gets me at times though. I guess it's a mid life crisis kind of thing. Getting back to work, finding a long term job (my contract ends in July) and getting back to the gym would help. Between the limited appetite and all I've lost 7.5 pounds in these 2 weeks.

Otherwise, I was glad to eat again but will be back on all liquids tommorow doing the colonoscopy prep. I'm not looking forward to it. What was it like when you did it?

Where is the mass you noted located? That seems to be one difference in our symptoms.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
(female)

sahra56 HB User

The mass comes and goes but it's always below my navel and off to the right. It sometimes goes down into my groin area and around my right flank, depending on how bad it is. The last time I was in the ER it spread pretty far. And you have fun with that bowel prep. It's awful. I don't know if you have the Movi-prep but I had to chug as much as I could without getting sick and I would instantly eat a spoon of honey so I didn't gag. Oh, and once the stuff starts moving through you man oh man, you go every ten minutes it seems. And then it starts running clear. And it's not bad when you go in to have the colonoscopy done. Of course they do an IV and drain liquids to make sure you stay hydrated. Then they have you lay on your left side and you don't remember a thing. I thought I would have issues with modesty because it's not like it's an aspiration of mine to have everyone in a doctor's operating room to see my backside but you don't really notice. I was cracking jokes the whole time to ease my nervousness. Another difference is I've gained weight and you've lost. Then again it could be my penchant for sweets. When you run a lot and eat three apple fritters for breakfast (yes, seriously) it catches up with you I guess. I'm still only about 150lbs but it's more than I want to be. I'm going to see if I can't start bike riding around base to get some sort of cardio in the mix. I haven't run since mid-December. I miss it. So you had a good day then?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

sahra56 HB User

Sorry, I meant the pain goes that far, not the mass. It's always below navel, off to the right.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
(male)

SeanH90050 HB User

The pain has emerged tonight in the groin area again this evening. It's like a dull pressure behind something that should feel no pain. I saw a iridologist last Friday that prescribed cipro thinking i may have something bacterial but had a reaction to it - my hands felt really swollen and my blood pressure shot up while just laying here. They switched it to Bactrim Sunday but the hospital yesterday said it wasn't necessary. Not fun. This is the first ive felt it all day though. Meanwhile my stomach and such isn't that bad. It was noisy earlier. Probably because it had food in it again. I think (hope) that's why ive lost weight.

Hope I don't have to tell everyone my tale at work tommorow. Want to get caught up so I can get home and do the prep. I have a plan for some work and to move a tv and DVD player into my bathroom while I go. The prep I am doing involves miralax. Not sure if it's the same as what you described.

Last edited by SeanH90050; 03-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
(male)

SeanH90050 HB User

That should say urologist. iPhone auto correct got me

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
(female)

sahra56 HB User

Auto correct is something else, isn't it? On the bright side it wasn't anything embarressing like some of the stuff you see posted online. I've wondered myself if it wasn't something bacterial. Do you see the little black flecks in your stool when you go? I looked into that but didn't really find much. And I do have the issue of passing undigested food. I made the comment to the doctor that it looked as if I had eaten a calico cat. My humor tends to be offbeat but it has served me well these 30 years. As for the whole set up in the bathroom, I don't think you'll be in there that much but hey, you do what you must. How does your prep involve miralax? I take that nightly right now. I alternate that and fiber poweder every night in a cup of tea. It makes me feel so old to say that. I had to take the Movi-prep, some magnesium citrate (awful stuff. they say they have flavors. they all taste the same, like baking soda water mixed with lemon extract), and colace. And about work, I guess you could just tell everyone you have a hot date with a toilet but I don't see that getting the reaction you want. Really all you would have to say is your stomach is bothering you. I had to leave work early today because of pain and bloating. I literally looked like I was at least 9 months pregnant. It's not that big of a deal if I leave early though. I do computers and stuff like that, my current job is overseeing kind of like an IT Department for military email. My soldiers were there if anything went down and they all have my cell number if they need me. I came home and passed out. I woke up feeling a tad bit better but nothing like my old self. Have you had severe stomach pains that felt like contractions? That was why I went to the ER the first time and I'm so stubborn I could barely walk by the time I let someone drive me. I'm guessing you have to start your prep by 4PM. Yeesh. I don't ever look forward to having to do that again.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
(male)

SeanH90050 HB User

My stool is always various shades of brown. Seems like the only time it isn't are the pieces of undigested food. I can't recall seeing anything I'd call black, though at times it can be light and dark brown.

Work has been ok so far. Walked in and was informed that a colleague just lost his wife after child birth. She was my age. So that hasn't helped the panic much. I feel hungry too, and brought jello to eat, wishing it was something more substantial. Mostly I wish I could crawl back into bed and sleep though, I've been pretty restless the last few days. My stomach has felt more like there's a bubble to the right of my belly button at times today, but not too bad.

I don't know what a contraction would feel like, so I'm not sure if I felt that or not. Mostly it's been this dull pain in my right gut or up under my ribs. When up high, it can burn and radiate towards the back. It's mostly steady though once it hits.

The miralax prep involves mixing 238g of it (2 weeks worth per the label) into a 32 oz gatorade and drinking it in 2 hours, after starting by taking 2 dulcolax tablets. All of it is to be followed by 16oz of water. Start at 5 PM, then repeat the whole thing at 10 PM. I may start a little late (6ish or so) after I get home and get everything else settled. My appointment isn't until the afternoon tomorrow anyway.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
(male)

SeanH90050 HB User

It appears the web page ate my post from this morning. Its been a long day. I've had some of the pressure in my groin area again before starting the colonoscopy prep. Last few minutes I've had the twinge pain near the ribs again. But at least I've finished drinking all the stuff.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH90050 View Post
Hello, I am not sure what is going on here and thought this may be the best forum to address my problem.

It began one week ago as a dull pain in my lower right abdomen and general nausea with decreased appetite. Since it has spread to my genital region (above/behind right testicle) and into my flank and back under the right rib cage. I have not had a fever or vomiting. The pain is deep and dull/crampy in nature. I do feel some pressure when I urinate now in the area next to and above my genitals, and the side pain is stronger when standing.

I went to the hospital on the 3rd day who did blood/urine work and a CT scan which showed no problems with kidneys, appendix and no UTI. Next day I saw my doctor for hernia and testicle check when the pain in that area increased, which was ok. He suspected constipation after reviewing hospital notes, and said to take laxatives and tylenol. I did so, however, the problem persists, and seems to be getting worse, or at least not going away. Earlier in the year, he suspected I may have IBS but I have yet to do the colonoscopy he ordered (the endoscopy was fine). Until that time, I had been flipping a lot between diarrhea and constipation. But recently my bowel movements had been normal.

Could what I am experiencing be IBS/constipation related? Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms?
I have had IBS-A,which means you tend to go from diarrhea and constipation. Although mine is leans a lot toward constipation because I have had chronic constipation problems all my life before the IBS diagnosis. The more stressed ,have anxiety,and depression the worse my IBs symptoms are mostly the diarrhea,colon spasms,trapped gas feeling and feeling like I have to have another BM even though there is literally nothing left in my colon. Using slow deep breathing exercises help to calm your nerves and anxiety.
This is what I have found that works best for me over the last year to control IBS symptoms and prevent constipation :
1. Eat a diet high fiber 25-35 grams a day.
2. Drink 8 8oz. glasses of water a day.
3. take a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucell at least twice a day.(morning and and at night)
4. Have a set time schedule for sitting on the toilet to have a bowel movement everyday. Allow 30 minutes for this and make it a priority in your daily schedule.
5. Do not excessively strain or force yourself to have a bowel movement. Use slow deep breathing exercises continuously until you have a bowel movement. This is the easiest way to have a bowel movement. At first this can take up to 30 minutes for you to have a bowel movement but if you have had enough water and fiber in your diet the day before it usually only takes 5-10 minutes or less. I know when I have had enough water and fiber in my diet the day before because I can have 2-3 bowel movements in one day and there are soft and formed and easy to pass.
6. Don't allow yourself to more than 48 hours without having a bowel movement. The longer you go without moving your bowels the harder your stools will be to pass without a lot of pain. Use a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool so you don't have to strain to go. Also,being constipated usually leads to a lot of trapped gas or passing a lot of gas. I found the more constipated I am the more likely I am to have trapped gas that can only be relieved by having a bowel movement. The gas tends to be very foul smelling as well as the BM because of the bacteria and toxins that have built up in the colon. also,the more red meats you consume the more odorus your BM's are.

Closed Thread