It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

Illie HB User
Unhappy Do I have IBS?

Hi, lately I've been wondering if I have IBS. I almost never have regular BMs. Usually I have loose bowels and sometimes I have constipation. Sometimes after about 30 minutes or an hour after I've eaten, I have to rush to the washroom. I usually don't have a lot of stomach pain, only sometimes when I'm in the washroom or after I've eaten something. Also, I don't have to go to the washroom everyday. It's really irregular. Like once I had loose bowels 3 times in one day and then didn't have to go for a couple of days. But
Mostly I go every other day, maybe twice a day. Unless I'm constipated then I may go once or twice every 3 days. This has been going on for quite awhile, maybe a year or less. Before I thought it was normal to have constant irregular bowels but I realized that it's not. I don't drink a lot of water, but in the summer I used to and I did have more BM. Could I just need to drink water? I don't really eat that health either.

I know I should go to the doctors but it's really embarrassing, especially since I'm 17 and go with my mom to the doctors.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Do I have IBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illie View Post
Hi, lately I've been wondering if I have IBS. I almost never have regular BMs. Usually I have loose bowels and sometimes I have constipation. Sometimes after about 30 minutes or an hour after I've eaten, I have to rush to the washroom. I usually don't have a lot of stomach pain, only sometimes when I'm in the washroom or after I've eaten something. Also, I don't have to go to the washroom everyday. It's really irregular. Like once I had loose bowels 3 times in one day and then didn't have to go for a couple of days. But
Mostly I go every other day, maybe twice a day. Unless I'm constipated then I may go once or twice every 3 days. This has been going on for quite awhile, maybe a year or less. Before I thought it was normal to have constant irregular bowels but I realized that it's not. I don't drink a lot of water, but in the summer I used to and I did have more BM. Could I just need to drink water? I don't really eat that health either.

I know I should go to the doctors but it's really embarrassing, especially since I'm 17 and go with my mom to the doctors.

Thanks in advance!
I have had IBS since 1996 and had chronic constipation problems all my life before than IBS diagnosis and I am almost 51 years old.
This is what I have learned the hard way about IBS and constipation problems:
1. Eating a high fiber diet 25-35 grams a day.
2. Drinking at 8 8oz.glasses of water a day.
3. Take a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucell at least twice a day.
4. Having a set time schedule every day to sit on the toilet for at least 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. This must be a priority in your schedule every day.
5. Do not strain,force,or push hard on your abdominal muscles to make yourself have a bowel movement. This can lead to hemorrhoids,anal fissures,and prolapsed rectum. These all make having bowel movements even more painful.
6. Use slow deep breathing exercises to help aid in having a bowel movements being painless. It does take longer to have a bowel movement this way if you haven't had a bowel movement in more than 48 hours from the last one you had because your stool will be hard and dried out and will be harder to pass. If you move your bowels on a daily basis using the slow deep breathing exercises then it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to move your bowels.
7. Don't allow yourself to go more than 48 hours without moving your bowels because the longer you go without moving them the harder and more painful it will be to have a bowel movement. I use a glycerin suppository to soften the stool to make it easier to go if I haven't moved them within 36 hours of the last bowel movement I had. I can tell you from personal experience that the suppository does help a lot in making it a lot less painful to have a bowel movement when you get beyond the 36 hour time frame.
8. If you follow the first four routines on a daily basis then you shouldn't have any more problems with IBS symptoms or chronic constipation problems. These daily routines have solved 98% of my IBS and constipation problems. It's when I don't follow these routines that I start having problems right away.
I hope that you will try this and see if it improves your IBS and constipation problems. Don't be embarassed about talking to your doctor about this because it's a fairly common problem and it can run in families. Maybe you need to ask your mom not to go in with you to the doctor's office when you need to talk to the doctor about such personal problems that are going on with your body. You may want to know if there is any family history with IBS or any other bowel movement problems. Your menstrual period can also raise havoc with our bowels moving regularly during that time of the month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

biz10cake HB User
Re: Do I have IBS?

Hi Illie. It sounds like you have almost the same issues I do. I am in 40's now and female and have dealt with this for about 15 years. I was diagnosed with IBS, but there is really not much they can do. I won't take any prescriptions drugs because based on researching the meds, it could make things worse.

What I have learned that helps: Eat smaller meals 4 or 5 times a day (like what you could fit on a small desert plate). No rich dairy foods (if that does trigger your ibs), it does mine. Caffeine can have an affect, just pay attention to how your system reacts when drinking caffeine. Too much fiber can make you go too much, if you are dealing with that part of IBS. Not enough sleep can at times really mess with my system. I am an over worrier, so I think that really adds to it too. I am working on just not worrying about every little thing. And do drink at least 24oz or more water, it is much better for you and your skin anyway.

But the key is really pay attention to when you system acts up. Think about what you ate the day before or earlier, are you getting decent sleep, are you stressing a lot. Once I started really paying attention to what i was doing and eating, I could see a pattern too of what would trigger it. You will start seeing what triggers the IBS.

Yours doesn't sound like it is too bad a case of IBS and normally if we were to eat the foods our body was meant to have (fruits and Veggies mainly, and very little prepared boxed foods (too many chemicals in it), we should have at least two bowel movements daily.

Also, do some online research about Probiotics for IBS. I did and read some of the reviews for a few recommend ones on Amazon.

Hope this was of some help, I know it is a lot. Let me know if you have any questions about it or how to work through it.

Closed Thread