It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
(male)

browns2012 HB User
Please read - cured/gone after 25 years of suffering

Hello everyone -

I have suffered with IBS D for 25 years (since I was a young tween/teen). I went to every doctor possible, had scopes, celiac tests, anything you can imagine. After getting no help from medication, I just learned to live with it by taking bulking fiber supplements everyday (I take 8-10 fiber pills everyday at 2pm like clockwork). It helped but I still had IBS-D (just made it much more predictable). I have been doing that for about 14 years now.

Then the unfortunate thing happened where I caught a mild case of herpes (during protected sex - yes you can still catch it). The doctor put me on Acyclovir to clear of the infection. After a few days I started having normal, solid bowel movements. I started thinking - wow this has not happen to me in 20+ years - what an interesting side effect. I took it for 2 weeks. The entire time my IBS was about 95% gone (completely normal and solid BMs). But guess what - here's the more interesting part - it is now two months after I stopped the medication and my IBS is still gone. Either God blessed me with a miracle after 25 years of suffering or this medication had something to do with it. I googled acyclovir and IBS and some other similar stories popped up.

I don't know what anyone can do with this story but I am just passing it along.

God bless and good luck to everyone.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Please read - cured/gone after 25 years of suffering

I'm glad to hear some medications side effects end up being benefical for other health problems. Did you tell your doctor about this as this is a way medications are found to work on other health problems other than what the medication was made for and approved by the FDA for. I hope this continues to work for you !

Last edited by moderator2; 04-18-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User

yea you should def tell your doctors and report it, like wellbutrin when people reported it made them quit smoking now they prescribe it for that too.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

2HelpU HB User

I wonder if you could have originally contacted IBS thru food poisoning in a restaurant or somewhere else or somehow it involved an infection that when you finally took Acyclovir that is used to clear up infections (although mostly in herpes) it could have cleared up an infection possibly anywhere in your system.

Great IBS story ending . . . or let's hope it remains the ending.

Good luck with that one!

2HelpU

Closed Thread