It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
(male)

Jordy487 HB User
I think I have IBS

Hello everyone, I am a 33 year old male and I have self diagnosed myself with IBS, although I'd like to hear from actual sufferers of IBS if they think I am right. Here's my story.

First of all, the reason for the self diagnosis is because I won't have health insurance until next January. My main symptoms are abdominal pain that changes locations frequently, but is often felt on the mid and upper right side or lower left side. Occasionally it is upper left or mid abdomen. The pain is usually dominate when I first wake up in the morning, and recedes (but doesn't always completely go away) after I have a bowel movement ( or two or three, as I often have them back to back in the morning), but then returns in the evening. Some days I have no pain at all, some days it's very mild, some days I don't want to get up off the couch because I feel so sick. My bowel movements are almost always "D", although I often feel constipated. I have never had blood in my stool, but my stool is often very loose yet sticky, if that makes sense. I still have a good appetite (too good, as I am overweight and struggling to lose weight). This has all been going on for about a year.

I did go to the ER two months ago when I was having a bad attack, think it could be gallstones or something even worse. They ran full bloodwork, and everything came back normal other than slightly (and I mean very slightly... just a couple of points) high liver function numbers, which the Doctor chalked up to my being overweight and having extra fat in my liver. I also had an ultrasound, and all of my organs (including gallbladder) looked fine. They suggested I get a HIDA scan done to check the function of my gallbladder, but since I'm paying out of pocket and that test would cost me well over $1,000, I'm going to put it off until I have insurance since I'm not convinced my gallbladder is to blame.

Anyway, that's my story. I realize I need to be diagnosed from a Doctor before I can claim to have IBS, but I feel my symptoms really match up with IBS. I just wanted to get the opinion of others who may know more about the condition than I do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: I think I have IBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy487 View Post
Hello everyone, I am a 33 year old male and I have self diagnosed myself with IBS, although I'd like to hear from actual sufferers of IBS if they think I am right. Here's my story.

First of all, the reason for the self diagnosis is because I won't have health insurance until next January. My main symptoms are abdominal pain that changes locations frequently, but is often felt on the mid and upper right side or lower left side. Occasionally it is upper left or mid abdomen. The pain is usually dominate when I first wake up in the morning, and recedes (but doesn't always completely go away) after I have a bowel movement ( or two or three, as I often have them back to back in the morning), but then returns in the evening. Some days I have no pain at all, some days it's very mild, some days I don't want to get up off the couch because I feel so sick. My bowel movements are almost always "D", although I often feel constipated. I have never had blood in my stool, but my stool is often very loose yet sticky, if that makes sense. I still have a good appetite (too good, as I am overweight and struggling to lose weight). This has all been going on for about a year.

I did go to the ER two months ago when I was having a bad attack, think it could be gallstones or something even worse. They ran full bloodwork, and everything came back normal other than slightly (and I mean very slightly... just a couple of points) high liver function numbers, which the Doctor chalked up to my being overweight and having extra fat in my liver. I also had an ultrasound, and all of my organs (including gallbladder) looked fine. They suggested I get a HIDA scan done to check the function of my gallbladder, but since I'm paying out of pocket and that test would cost me well over $1,000, I'm going to put it off until I have insurance since I'm not convinced my gallbladder is to blame.

Anyway, that's my story. I realize I need to be diagnosed from a Doctor before I can claim to have IBS, but I feel my symptoms really match up with IBS. I just wanted to get the opinion of others who may know more about the condition than I do.
IBS is usually diagnosed by a barium enema(also called the lower G.I. series) and after everything else has been ruled out. It took 3 months of different tests on me before the G.I. series was done. the x-ray technician said he actually saw my colon go into a spasm while performing the test. The spasms are usually are what cause the abdominal pain before and after bowel movements that are sometimes accompanied by explosive diarrhea and the reason for the feeling like you have to go when there is nothing left in you except watery substance and passing lots of gas.
What makes you feel constipated ? Bloating,passing lots of gas,hard abdomen ? Most people who are constipated haven't had a bowel movement in 3 or more days in a row,their bowel movements are hard to pass without straining because the stool is large,hard,dried out.They feel bloated,have lots of gas that is either trapped and can't be expelled or passing lots of gas,their abdomen feels hard,they have severe abdominal pain because they're unable to have a bowel movement and it's extremely painful to try to have a BM.
I have had IBS-A since 1996. Mine alternates between constipation and bouts of explosive diarrhea. My problem is usually the constipation because I have had that since my very early childhood years. I have found that changing my diet( a high fiber diet),drinking lots of water,and making sure I sit on the toilet everyday at the same time to have a bowel movement has actually reduced all my IBS symptoms by 98 %. If I get lazy and don't follow my daily routines then I not only have more IBS symptoms but i am constipated again as well.
Sometimes when I get too much fiber in my diet my BM's aren't diarrhea but come out more like sludge consistency and can be hard to expel it without straining to push it all out. Is that what you mean by sticky stool ?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
(male)

Jordy487 HB User

What I mean by constipated is that I sometimes feel like I have more stool ready to pass but I can't pass it, even if I just had a BM half an hour ago. I have two or three BM's everyday within two hours of waking up, but sometimes I feel like I could have another one, but can't.

And yeah, I get the sludgy, formed but not formed "Sticky" stool alot.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy487 View Post
What I mean by constipated is that I sometimes feel like I have more stool ready to pass but I can't pass it, even if I just had a BM half an hour ago. I have two or three BM's everyday within two hours of waking up, but sometimes I feel like I could have another one, but can't.

And yeah, I get the sludgy, formed but not formed "Sticky" stool alot.
When you feel like you have more stool to pass and can't because you just had a one BM or more that's called incomplete evacuation and many people who have IBS experience this at sometime or another. Many have it worse than others to where it sometimes causes incontinence of stool( a lot of times it's the very soft stool)
Are all your BM's real soft,sticky,sludgy when you have that many so close together or is it more like diarrhea ? You know I read a book last year called The Bowel Book by Michael Levitt and he talks about all kinds of bowel disorders and in one section he says that men tend to have the soft,sticky,and sludgy consistency to their bowel movements more than women do. The book is no longer in print you might be able to find a used one online at Amazon.com like I did. He actually tells you the 7 elements of healthy bowel habits. I found this book to be helpful in telling what is normal and what isn't.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Jordy,
Your symptoms Don't sound like IBS!!

Over the years I have the best things for normal BMs is to Take a water soluble fiber supplement like Psyllium seed husk fiber that you mix with water for good dispersion.. It absorbs fluid and make your stool seem more lubricative--it sorta acts like a cleaning agent with every BM. I like and use plain type from the Vitamin Shoppe. When you first start it will produce lots of gas -- so start slowly.

Insoluble fiber causes BMs --contractions of your intestine muscles-- Your diet needs to be 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily but it needs to be divided between soluble and insoluble fiber.
All fruits and veggies are insoluble fiber.

There is no fiber in all meats, seafood and dairy products.These lists are not complete but give you the idea.

Soluble fiber is all grains, beans & peas(innerparts) The outter parts are insoluble fiber---and root veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes ,carrots, beets, turnips and psyllium seed husk,citrucel and all ground seeds that absorb fluid.

Also, it's good to take an enteric coated probiotic supplement--- I like "Ultamate !0 Probiotic" from the Vitamin Shoppe-- It helps to balance the good friendly strains of Gi tract bacteria. There are over 400 strains of bacteria in your Gastro tract --- and they ane in constant War fear. The objective is to get them and keep them balanced!!

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Closed Thread