It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

LISAG1968 HB User
Unhappy Can ibs symptoms change/worsen?

Hi everyone

Could somebody please give me advice on some symptoms I have been having lately? I have suffered with ibs for as long as I can remember (since I was in my 20's, I am now 44). The syptoms normally start when I wake in the morning. I will need a fairly normal bowel movement followed by one, possibly two looser ones. For the rest of the day I am fine and won't need another bowel movement until the following morning. These symtoms have been worse at times (needing to get to the toilet 3-4 times a morning) and sometimes they disappear altogether for months at a time.

About 6 weeks ago I was given antibiotics for a tooth infection. My ibs didnt play me up while i was taking them but two days after I finished them, just as I was eating an evening meal i had really bad pain and needed to get to the bathroom 3 times with really watery stools before the pain disappeared. A couple of days later i was given another course of antibiotics for an abscess and again, no bowel problems while i was taking them but 2 days later I had really bad pain during the night which woke me and I had to get to the bathroom 3-4 times with watery stools before the pain eased. I put these episodes down to the antibiotics (which I finished 3 weeks ago) but last night after eating my evening meal i had the pain again and had to get to the bathroom 3 times with water stools.

I have never experienced this before, even when i have taken antibiotics in the past and I am a little worried. My ibs has always been during the morning never the evening and although the stools are loose they are never really runny like water. Could it still be the affects of my antibiotics after all this time or could by ibs have changed for some reason? I am worrying that this could something be other than ibs which is not helping but how can the symptoms have changed after being the same for so long?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to LISAG1968:
lindalu1 (05-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
(female)

lindalu1 HB User
Re: Can ibs symptoms change/worsen?

Hi Lisa,
So sorry for your ibs I have it and it changes on me all the time. I am 56 had it for as long as I can remember. Antibiotics are nnot our friends, you need some probiotics every time you take antibiotics. Even evry day would not hurt. Just trying to help.
Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to lindalu1 For This Useful Post:
LISAG1968 (05-13-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It might just take some time for your body to straighten out again after the antibiotics. Take probiotics, eat the foods that are usually good for your individual bowels. If a few more weeks pass and it isn't settling down, or if it gets worse, see your doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
LISAG1968 (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
(female)

LISAG1968 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Can ibs symptoms change/worsen?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Got up again this morning to really runny stools but no pain this time. I know i am stressing about it which isn't helping. Will give the probiotics a try and see if this helps.

The following user gives a hug of support to LISAG1968:
sesameseed (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
(male)

sesameseed HB Usersesameseed HB User

Hey there, my symptoms of IBS are exactly like yours. Sometimes I would have perfectly normal BMs for months on, and then a small thing such as stress or change in lifestyle will set me off for a bit. I can confirm that antibiotics are terrible for IBS sufferers. As we already have issues with the good bacteria in our stomachs, when you take the antibiotics, these bacteria start dying and giving us hell. The best thing to do is really to continue your normal lifestyle, and find ways to keep your mind of off it. For me, that's exercising and being around my friends. I hope you feel better soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to sesameseed For This Useful Post:
LISAG1968 (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

LISAG1968 HB User
Wink Re: Can ibs symptoms change/worsen?

Thanks Sesameseed for your reassurance. Its always nice to come to these boards for some reassurance from fellow ibs sufferers who know what you are going through. Take care.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
(female)

LISAG1968 HB User
Red face Re: Can ibs symptoms change/worsen?

I am writing this really early in the morning having not had a very good night. For the past week my bowels have been better and i have been drinking the proactive yoghurt as suggested which i thought was helping. However, i woke up at 1.00 am this morning and my stomach felt a little uncomfortable. I couldn't go back to sleep and then at 2.30 am went to check on my daughter who had stirred in her sleep. As i got up i had a sudden urge to use the bathroom and got there just in time where I had quite loose stools. I went back to bed and after a restless night, woke up this morning and needed the bathroom again but this time the stools were fairly formed again.

This is seriously freaking me out and i am now convinced i have all sorts of terrible things because everything I read suggests that ibs shouldnt wake you in the night and in the past it never has. i am going to make an appt with the Dr as constantly worrying about this is not helping.

Closed Thread