It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

Springy HB User
Food Intolerance Test?

Has anyone been to have a food intolerance test at Superdrug? I came across it today and wondered if it was worth doing? I have been told that cows milk or wheat could have something to do with my stomach/IBS problems, but they havent tested me for anything at the doctors.
It is only about £20, so I guess if no-one has had it done its not too much money to find out if its worth it!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Food Intolerance Test?

We dont have Superdrug where I live but I see no harm in giving it a try.
As an IBS sufferer I know what does/does not suit me. Wheat has a bad effect on my condition and I no longer eat bread. I replaced it with (Nairne's) oatmeal biscuits, no wheat or sugar added, the same with cereals.
Milk has no adverse effect on me, I left it off for a while and replaced it with rice milk but felt no difference.
If a particular food doesn't agree with me I simply replace it with something else, it really is a case of trial/error.
I have never had an intolerence test so cant relate to that.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

Springy HB User

I have tried to stop drinking cows milk and went on to oat milk for a while. I also have cut out caffeine and alcohol, but none of these seem to have made a huge difference. I think wheat may be cut out next to see if that helps. I haven't really heard of anyone taking this intolerance test, so I wondered if it actually helps/works!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
(male)

rednaxa HB User

How do you take the test, do you just go into a Superdrug store and have it done there?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There are blood tests for actual food allergies, there are also lab tests for celiac disease and lactose intolerance. Any other food intolerances have to be identified through trial and error.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
(female)

Springy HB User

They apparently take a sample of your blood from a pin ***** from your finger. I am tempted to get it done to see if the results are accurate. I am thinking of trying to cut out wheat as I have already tried cutting out cows milk with no success.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

You cant get a result for lactose intolerance from blood as my gp just messed up by sending mine off to have it sent back saying it has to be done by this breath test only. Wheat, nut, and celiac can be done by bloods though. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
(female)

benjii HB User

Hi, it has been suggested to me to take a food sensitivity test. I wonder if that is the same thing. It is kind of expensive and my dr isn't willing to order a blood test.

Closed Thread