It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
Smile Re: IBS 20yr Misery

<Grabbing counterclockwys and doing happy dance!!!>

I am SO HAPPY to hear your news! So very happy for you and your tummy!

You know you are on the right track now. Don't be disappointed if one day your tummy acts up. It's all trial and error now...what works for you, what doesn't. Smaller portions, tummy friendly foods, fiber and immodium is a good foundation.

I was bad earlier this week and ate extremely greasy and spicy take out chinese food and my tummy acted up for about 3 days. Didn't stop me from going out but I watched what I ate and made sure I was close to a toilet.

I hope you see continued improvement CCW (easier to type than counterclockwyse lol). Please keep posting and let me know how you are doing or if want to discuss something.

<grinning from ear to ear over your news!!!>

big hugs,
SB

Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
(male)

counterclockwys HB User
Re: IBS 20yr Misery

Thank YOU, Thank YOU, Thank YOU SB! You have the gift of encouragement too! But what I just realised overnight was this: the new change in my IBS symtoms is not just physical...it is also psychologically liberating! My body will no longer control who I AM.. it no longer defines me because I am now in control.
I feel like a kid with a new toy...only this "new toy" is the rest of my life. For years I suffered these IBS symptoms. Saw an internet add for "healthboards" 4 weeks ago. Looked up irratable bowel symptoms. Found your thread helping someone else: {a} bought Acacia fiber and began
{b} changed to non-trigger IBS diet
{c) added 1 immodium tablet per day
I couldn't believe you actually went out to eat "greasy" chinese food....YOU KNEW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN!! But I get it. You were in control! You knew what would happen, and more importantly, you knew how to fix it and that's what is now so real! Now to continue to experiment, learn, and grow in the new knowledge that I'm in control!!
The new CCW {your right! it is}

Last edited by counterclockwys; 08-25-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
(female)

Oh CCW, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes over your news.

IBS beats you right into the ground, stops you from going out, from enjoying your family and friends, and soon takes over your life, physically and emotionally. But you are fighting back...and WINNING!!

As I said before, there is no magic pill to cure IBS, we all have to find what works for us and you are certainly headed in the right direction. The right attitude can take you miles!

Enjoy your 'new toy'! When I first started eating out again (after at least 15 years of avoiding it), my hubby and I were in a very sloooow restaurant. Hubby was getting impatient, but I was like a kid in a candy store, I was looking at everything, everyone, just soaking it all in. I could have stayed there all day.

Happy hugs,
SB

Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Dear SB! What I'm about to say I would never say to a "normal" person. Its absolutely ridiculous to share except when training a child on the potty. And even if its awkward only another IBS individual would understand. I still stayed inside last week because I didn't know what would happen when my diarrhea had stopped...fearful of what I could not anticipate. But now I know! I had a "normal" stool for the first time in 25yrs. No crazy accident, no anxiety. Just a normal "human" response. And I feel "normal" again. I know its silly, but I wanted to take a picture for proof! No...I didn't do it.
I am deeply thankful for the good fortune of finding Healthboards, seeing your post and following your suggestions and all of the sharing. I've become a new person as a result. You said earlier that I would soon be doing things I haven't done in a long time. Tonight I bought a new pair of walking shoes..very expensive{i'm worth it} and did a 2 mile walk.........with a happy dance in the middle!!! Please keep helping people on these boards. Its about changing lives...and I am One!! The New CCW

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #20
(female)

Smile Re: IBS 20yr Misery

CCW!!! What wonderful, fantastic news! I can just see you 'happy dancing' during your 2 mile walk! Of course you are worth your expensive shoes... and so much more! Celebrate! Dance! Jump around with joy! It's a fantastic feeling to be able to feel normal again isn't it?

My hubby and I took the train into NYC over the weekend and went to Radio City Music Hall, then walked down Fifth Ave and around Rock Center...and I was skipping ... literally! So happy to be FREE and to be OUT and ABOUT. For years I missed doing all these great things. My hubby and daughter would go to Broadway plays and concerts and the Christmas show without me. I'd bravely wave to them as they drove away, and then I sit down and cry. Now I'm making up for all those times!

I am so very happy for you!! Keep posting all your good news. It makes me smile!

SB

Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hello SB!
I'm so happy to report that this is not a "fluke". Five more days of normalcy has proven to me that the proper diet, Heather's Acacia fiber, and 1 immodium daily has been the "fix" for me! And I'm so happy for you over your weekend out and about. If I was in your neck of the woods (now that I'm able to be out), I would soooooo be at the US Open..watching all the action up close!
So I said to "Kitty"..."I'm sorry, I've been neglecting you for some time. I've rarely talked to you and haven't even looked at you or paid you much attention. I did know that you were there..waiting for me to come back alive. How would you like to go for a drive? And I saw light come back to her eyes and a smile play across her grill! So I removed her cover, dusted her off, put a coat of wax on her and she was ready to travel. Kitty is my new "OLD" Jaguar. New because she never goes far. She is now 13 and has averaged 1100 miles a year for the last 10 yrs. I'm sure she is the newest OLD Jag in the state!
So Saturday I said to my family.."I'm sorry, I've been neglecting you for some time. I haven't talked to you much or paid you much attention or gone with you to many things. I just couldn't. How would you like to go for a drive....we'll take "kitty". And I saw light come back to their eyes and a smile play across their faces, and we headed out....to the next state. We stayed for the day, did some shopping together, ate at a nice restaraunt( I was so carefull!) and we had a great time together.
I"M still working out the "gas " problem. I haven't been able to find a multi-symptom immodium yet, but will look again today when shopping...it seems like such a small issue when compared to everything else, but why not go for broke!! I sure haven't got anything to lose. When I think that just six weeks ago I was "stuck" in so many ways and having spent so much money on Dr.'s and hospitals....I'm almost speechless....and awed by the turn of events. So little money invested, and so little time involved....and the quality of my life is completely changed........Thank You! CCW

Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #22
(female)

(((CCW)))!!! What wonderful news! It's like a whole new world has opened up for you, isn't it? Enjoy your 'kitty' and family outings. Would you believe that the other day I was all ready to go out and about and my hubby said he'd like to spend the day at home? Made me grin ear to ear (as I was the one who always said that I had to stay home).

I'm so happy for you!!! Again, please keep posting updates. I want to know how you are doing, what you are doing!!!

SB

Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
(female)

Hey CCW! Just popping in to see how you are doing. I'm hoping that since you are not posting it means that you are OUT and ENJOYING your life without IBS rearing its ugly head.

Hoping you see this and you let me know how you are doing.

SB

Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hello SB!!!!
Yes, I am out, but not what you might think. I do "Daddy DayCare" now that school has resumed! I open the day care at 6:20 am. We are centered between 4 preschools and 4 public schools and I do all the transports throughout the day, closing at 5:45pm. So, I am on the move but never very far from home...all within a quarter mile!
This last week has been an up and down one for me. The weather has been up and down in temp and has affected what I've eaten. The day it was 105 I wanted something cool so I made my "famous"(!) tuna fish salad. Four hours later my stomach was saying,"I wish you hadn't eaten that". So I added that to the list of not wants. Then two days later I just wanted a small snack and made some "cheese and chips"....potatoe chips that is. And I won't be doing that again either!
It seems now that I'm on a controlled diet for ibs (which I've never been before), I quickly discover foods that won't work well in my stomach. So I add them to the growing list of not wants. Before, I was eating everything and always messed up. I'm sure that we all wish this was easier in knowing what food is ok and what is not...but we all are so special aren't we! I finally found some "multi-symptom immodium" and am now taking that in the am with my fiber and hot tea...no change in the gas dept. yet, but I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the tip on that and I hope things are nice, quiet, and peaceful in your NorthEast neck of the woods!! CCW

Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
(female)

Hey CCW!

I'm glad to hear that your tummy is still behaving.

Wish I had you around when I needed someone to drive/pick up my daughter because my stomach wouldn't let me out the door. I told my husband to change the seat in my car to a potty and I'd be fine.

You will be discovering for a while what foods/medicines/even weather cause your stomach to act up. Deleting your food triggers from your diet for a while will give your stomach time to heal, and hopefully, you will find as I did, that you can start introducing those same foods back into your diet...slowly. For instance, I could never, ever eat a salad while I was in the midst of my IBS. I love salad and found it so hard to not eat it. Even sneaking one lousy limp piece of lettuce would have me running to the bathroom. So I gave it up, completely for at least a year. I gave up almost all veggies/fruit (even went so far as to buy baby food versions, can we say Yuck?) for at least a year. Now I can enjoy my salads again, but never on an empty stomach, or never 2 days in a row.

Wishing you continued success and happy outings! If you need someone to take 'kitty' for a spin, I'm volunteering! LOL

SB

Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hello SB!
Now I am the one who is "laughing out loud"! I thought I was the only one who ever considered actually putting a toilet in the drivers seat...and I could do it too!!! I didn't mean to mislead you either....doing the "Daddy Day Care" deal is a RECENT change to my daily activities. No way I could have done it through the years.
Following up on one of your earlier statements. You said that once you started on the fiber you never missed a dose. Thats been about 4 years now and does that still stand? That is, you never have experienced what would happen if you stopped the fiber? And, how quickly you would notice any changes? And, why do I ask?
For the last six weeks I've kept a vigilant daily dosage. Yesterday am for some reason I got busy early, forgot to take my fiber like always..early am. I saw a football game at 11:30am, sat down to watch which I normally don't do. Just 5 minutes into the game I felt those old familiar feelings, ran to the bathroom just in the nick of time, and started going over my morning wondering where I messed up...that's when I remembered my fiber. But I was only 5 hrs late from my regular schedule. My "male logic" wants to say it just can't be that tight a tolerance.....but maybe for me it is.....and if it is that tight a tolerance for me....what I now know is that I don't ever want to run out of this acacia fiber! Back to normal schedule this am and no further problem. I know that I'm still in the "wow" factor that something this simple could be sooooo important. I'm ordering more tomorrow!
Oh, and I talked to "Kitty"...she said she'll be here any time for you since I don't take her out often enough!! Happy days!...CCW

Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #27
(female)

Hey CCW! I have never, ever missed taking my fiber. Even when I had surgery last December. I bought those little travel packs and had them with me in the hospital. So I don't know how my stomach would react if I didn't take it, but I do know that I don't take it at the same time every day. I usually take my fiber right before dinner (around 6pm) but there have been days where I've been out and about (yay!) and don't take it until much later in the evening.

The controlled diet may be so new to your system that its come to depend on the fiber to 'regulate' your tummy in the morning. Did you miss your imodium too?

I can tell you that last weekend we all got in the car to take a trip upstate. I was feeling great. Ten minutes on the road and I was like "ohoh". Hubby pulled a U-turn and I gritted my teeth (and squeezed my 'cheeks') and hoped he wouldn't get a speeding ticket on the way back home. That's the horrible part about IBS, you never know when it will hit you. I didn't do anything different...hadn't eaten anything weird. By nighttime I was fine and we went out to dinner.

Car Potty--when we took my daughter to college years ago, my hubby rented a small camper type van. Not to sleep in, not to cook in, but because it had a potty. It was about a 3 hour trip to her college and he knew I was freaking out that I wouldn't be able to make it. Having that potty readily availble gave me freedom that I hadn't had in such a long time. I actually bought a little porta-potty (like the ones you'd have on a small boat) and kept it in my trunk...just in case. I never had to use it, but knowing it was there gave me peace of mind.

Anyway CCW, hope your bump in the road was just that...a little bump, and you on back to feeling fine and enjoying LIFE!

SB

Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #28
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hello again SB!

Just finished my 7th week of "post IBS new life". I am continuing to follow the same am schedule as before because it really seems to be working well right now:

(a) 2 teapspoons Heathers Acacia fiber in hot tea
(b) 1 imodium ad
(c) 1 multi-vitamin
(d) Following a rigid non-trigger IBS diet....lets not forget that!

Overall this has been a really good week. I did discover (in a real moment of weakness) that ice cream is now on the "don't want" list for all the right reasons. I've also learned that I have a new sensitivity to a lot of spices in that it takes a whole lot less to do the job.....especially salt.....way less!

Another thing I've learned is that my "gut" feelings are all new and I must learn all over again what they mean and what I can expect as a result. This is soooooo crazy......but at least it is a "happy" crazy!!!

It has taken almost 2 weeks for the imodium AD to help address the gas and bloating issues but I do believe it's getting better...it's just a slowww process. Did you do anything different in this area or were you just very lucky not to have been bothered.

Oh yeah, another thing I've wondered about. In your meal preparation.....did you make one special meal for you and another for your family...or quietly convert them to perhaps your "better" diet.....just wondering!

I trust you have had a great week out and that all is well! CCW

Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #29
(female)

Hey CCW! So glad you posted and let me know how you are doing!

I did have problems with gas and bloating (at times still do). The multi symptom imodium (I take 2 daily) is what helps, plus knowing what foods to stay away from. I love mushrooms, but yowza... I run myself out of the room if I eat them! I do occasionally give in to my cravings, I just warn family ahead of time (and then blame it on the dog!) <grin>

My family likes tasty foods, so many times I will make 2 different dinners, or not spice up my portion of dinner. I'll make plain grilled chicken for me, but curry spicy for them. Or I'll have plain pasta while they have sausage. Or sometimes I just throw caution to the winds and eat what they are eating and hope for the best!

As a tea drinker, have you ever tried rooibos tea? It's a red tea from South Africa. I just joined a meditation class (yes, I can sit thru an hour long session without worrying where a potty is!) and they served it at the end of class. It is not only delicious (I don't even like tea) it is supposed to be better than green tea, full of all these wonderful health benefits, one being calming to your digestive system. I'm looking at various brands on line and am trying to figure out the best one. Do you know anything about it?

Keep up the great job CCW! I'm so happy for you!

SB

Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hello again, SB!! Thanks so much for the encouragement!

I just applaud your sense of being in control because it resonates so positively against the past! The few times I've gone off schedule have almost been worse than any bad time before.....but two months ago I didn't know what "good" was!! And you are right....this new diet is new to my stomach and it just won't tolerate excursions into the past right now!

TEA...I've been drinking teas for almost 40 years...almost entirely. For the last 15 yrs more herbal and mint teas, which I really like. But they never ever helped with my IBS due to the horrible diet. I'm hoping with the non-trigger IBS diet they will be far more beneficial. ROOIBOS TEA....now there's one I haven't heard of but it sounds too good to pass up. Please do Keep checking it out and so will I. I also wondered if you have tried the fennel seed tea for the same reasons and whether it helped or not?

I do not know what "20 year misery" did with your post several months ago. But all I can say is how deeply thankful I am that I found it and that I do appreciate your very helpful and insightful thoughts. What a change it has been for me. (have so many people really been following this thread?)

I appreciate the meal suggestions. You know that for now I have to be more controlled and I sure am not going to eat what they are! And it really is so cool because thay are letting me set up most of the meals...but if they don't like or want it...they just go somewhere else!!!! And that's all right.

Much thanks and well wishes for tomorrow...... CCW!

Closed Thread