It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
(male)

counterclockwys HB User
Re: IBS 20yr Misery

Hello SB!

Just checking in to see how you are doing. I hope that you and hubby are on a well earned and deserved vacation! And that if you are....that you are going everywhere you want without a moments thought....oh yeah....and eating anything you want without question (probably not..huh!).

I'm still looking into the rooibos tea and I can't believe there's so much info on it...it just sounds to good to pass up and not at least give it a try. I'd never heard of "acacia fiber" either before two months ago and I'm so glad I gave it a try.....it has been like a miracle worker.

Best wishes for you and yours!!! CCW

Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #32
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User

Hello CCW! No vacation, but we seem to be doing something all the time! We are always finding someplace to go, something to do. Last weekend we went to a Craft Fair at Lyndhurst. It was a gorgeous day on beautiful grounds; so delightful to just to walk around. I even ate there (could not pass up a freshly grilled cheese sandwich)! And we had to take shuttle buses back and forth from the parking lot, so that was a big deal. Yesterday we went to the Makers Faire in Queens, got caught in a torrential downpour and still had fun.

I'm so looking forward to this holiday season and heading into NY City to see the tree and the store windows and all the things I couldn't do!!!

We've eaten out so much in the past year that I gained 10 pounds. I'm making up for those 20 years of being confined to my house (at least that is what I'm telling myself so I don't feel guilty )

I bought Rooibus tea from my local health food store, but have since found it in the supermarket. Twinnings and Celestrial brands both make it. I still have my morning coffee but do try to have a cup of tea at night.

Keep posting your progress!

SB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #33
(female)

I just realized that my post from last week isn't showing. In it I apologized to LouAnn (the starter of this post) for essentially hi-jacking her post lol... I hope that others who read or are still reading this post have tried some of the suggestions and are experiencing the same success you are CCW.

Fennel tea: I never really gave it a chance, didn't like the flavor. I really just don't like tea...will drink different flavors occasionally (lemon zinger, green tea with oj in in). I really enjoy my cup of rooibus thou.

SB

The Following User Says Thank You to seabell For This Useful Post:
LouAnn53 (10-05-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #34
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hey, there you are, SB!

I'm so, so sorry you were not on vacation! I would have loved to hear you say that you and hubby were on a carnival cruise and all you were doing was piggin' out.....with absolutely no problem, of course. Anyway, It's great that you are now able to go, go, and go without having to do so much pre-planning just to make it happen, or too afraid to even try. I agree....10lbs after twenty years....teeensy weeensy price and no guilt needed!

This past week, my ninth week of IBS sobriety, has been the best one so far.
Absolutely no problems.....but even more important to me now is that there is less "fear" that there will be a problem. Not cured...I don't mean that. Just that I'm not looking over my shoulder every minute and wondering if I'm about to be drop-kicked through the goal posts of life. I even ate two small meals of non-ibs elements. Beef brisket with hash browns and steak with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. It must be noted....these were very small portions! But with everything in place, they caused me no problem. All my meals around them were oatmeal with raisins, pasta, rice with grilled chicken, etc.
In our little town of 3,000 I seriously doubt that there will ever be Rooibos tea to be found! So we do most of our grocery shopping in our capital city to the south of us and I will look for it next time we shop. I'm looking forward to trying it for it's flavor along with it's health benefits.

I guess I didn't know what I was doing when I responded to your original post, so, if I did that wrong, I'm the one who should apologize and I do now, LouAnn. And I really, really do hope that someone else might get help from any suggestions that have been given....they have changed my life for the best! CCW

The Following User Says Thank You to counterclockwys For This Useful Post:
LouAnn53 (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
(female)

On-line ordering... there are many places on line that you can order the tea from. If I knew your address, I'd send you some! It really is a great tea!

Just to show how different foods effect different people, one of your staples, oatmeal, is one of my biggest triggers. I love a bowl of hot oatmeal in the morning, but, if as much as a teaspoon of it crosses my lips, I spend the next 3 days in the potty. (tmi? LOL)

And I didn't mean you did anything wrong when you replied to this thread! Just feel bad that LouAnn never posted again.

Keep smilin'!

SB

LouAnn53 (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #36
(female)

LouAnn53 HB UserLouAnn53 HB User

I havent replied b/c things have not changed for me..... and there was really nothing that was directed at me.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #37
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hello LouAnn53!

Thank you so much for responding and please accept my "I'm so sorry" that things have not changed for you. My whole life has been changed by some of these suggestions that have been so helpful for me and my kind of IBS!
Lets see if we can't get some help for you, too.

Early on Ladybud suggested perhaps some testing for food intolerances, an IGG to help define your "triggers". Have you had an opportunity to follow up on that or have you been keeping a "food diary" to try to figure them out? Its sad and sometimes difficult but they are often different for each of us with the results pretty much the same!

Are you now following some kind of an "IBS" diet to help relieve the symptoms you might be having with your kind of IBS? If you are, have you added anything like acacia fiber and/or imodium to control tummy volatility?

Ladybud was also very concerned about your bm bleeding and that tumors can cause that same kind of feeling...tenesmus...that you still have to go but there's nothing there. Have you had a chance to check that out yet? As a male...I'm the worst kind! I'll wait till I'm almost "done in" before I'd go the doctor. But as I've gotten older I've tried to do better.

I hope for you exactly what I've found....wonderful sugestions that will make a great difference in your life....we are all here for one another...we are here for you too, LouAnn!!!!! CCW

Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
(female)

The symptoms of IBS, what causes us our pain/frequent movements/or no movement, as well as what helps one with their IBS differs from person to person. Boards like this are a wonderful place to gather insight and information from other IBS sufferers that can possibly steer one in the right direction...as evidenced by CCW!

I suffered horrible cramping with my IBS. I think I stated that I passed out a few times from the pain. I would fall right into lamaze breathing thinking that if it helped with childbirth, it would surely help with my IBS pain.

I would often equate my BMs to vomiting from below. It would come out as forcefully, as uncontrollably, sometimes as unexpectedly, and would leave me with dry heaves from below. I would sit on the toilet pushing out nothing. I was hospitalized with diverticulitis and most of the doctors said that it was unusual to see with someone who had IBS-D. If you are constipated and pushing, you have more of a chance of developing those nasty little diverticulitis pockets.

Once I got my IBS under control, the cramping diminished. My stools are formed, and I go once, maybe twice a day (as opposed to 5-10 times of loose, watery stools). I would like to think that my intestines are not as irritated and damaged as they were, everything is moving along at a 'normal speed and my stomach doesn't feel like it has to evacuate everything inside of it immediately, causing cramping.

I hope you find relief LouAnn.

hugs,
SB

counterclockwys (10-07-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #39
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hellooooooooo, SB!

A week ago Saturday I was going upstairs to get ready for a wedding when my mental "5 second clock" went off.....I made it in 4 and counted myself lucky! That was the first time in over 2 months that I had an IBS attack. I didn't eat anything wrong and didn't skip anything.....it just happened and you told me that it would. I was surprised more than angry. But I also figurerd...1 five second challenge in 9 weeks...that's an IBS win and I am still winning the battle, yeah, yeah, yeah!

I am declaring July 25th my IBS "birthday"! That is when I found your post, took your suggested action, and my life started getting back on track to being able to "live" rather than just exist. I want you to know that I also emailed "Heather's" and told them how I found out about their Acacia fiber and how it has been such a wonderful help for my IBS. I only know you as "Seabell" and "Healthboards", but I hope they find you and give you a lifetime free purchase!!! Oh yeah, I have been trying to remember for some time to ask you how you found out about their fiber???

I am so sorry that oatmeal is one of your triggers. I feel so blessed that many things on my IBS diet I really do like. It makes my meal planning so much easier, especially for breakfast.

How is the meditation coming along? I'd like to say that if it works I'd try it too......not gonna happen!!!! They would have me close my eyes and .....man, I'm going back to sleep and they might wake me by the end of the session!!! Oh well, I hope that you find it very beneficial....and calming to your inner psyche.

Best wishes to you and yours for the coming week..CCW!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #40
(female)

I have had the worst attacks for the past month since I have had IBS. Each time I have to visit the bathroom the spasms get worse and worse. My colon contracts like a uterus contracts in childbirth......contracting and spasing like trying to pass a baby, but the wrong opening. Yes I still have BRIGHT red bleeding and I think it may be roids.....I have to wait until Nov 13th b4r I see a doc. It wears me out so much after these attacks that I have to go to bed. I am up to 60mg of dicyclomine and it is taking much longer for the meds to work. I am going to look for Acacia....I know they have them in a cold fruit bar, but it hasnt helped. Will keep you posted after my doct appt. BTW, thanks for the apology, but it was not needed. I didnt feel "hijacked"..... LOL

The following user gives a hug of support to LouAnn53:
seabell (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #41
(female)

CCW! So glad things are still going well for you, and look at how calmly you handled one little bump in the road! It could be the thought of having to go to a wedding made your stomach a little nervous and it emptied beforehand so you could enjoy yourself.

As you know, I tried everything to help my IBS. I used to joke that if standing on my head nekkid during a full moon whistling Dixie in Madison Square Guarden would help, I would gladly do it! I had read about some hypnosis CDs that were made for IBS and I googled them. That lead me to Heather's site where I spent the afternoon reading everything. I didn't order the acacia fiber right away because I had tried other fiber (OTC at drugstores etc) and they made my IBS so much worse.

(I did, however, order the hypnosis cds which didn't help, I kept falling asleep during them). I then ordered her book and read that.

I finally gave in and ordered the peppermint capsules and acacia fiber and with everything else I was already doing, things clicked into place and I started on my road to recovery. (Happy dancing!)

Meditation is great...very thought provoking but at the same time relaxing. I'm all for getting rid of all the negative energy in my life!

We are going to have a party on July 25th!! Cyber cake for all!
LoAnn,

I am so sorry that you are suffering so much. Just reading your post had me remembering and feeling those spasms. Are you eating at all during this time? Because if you are, I would recommend sticking with the BRAT diet or whatever foods you know are less likely to irritate your tummy.

Please search on line for the acacia fiber, I don't think acacia juice or bars is the same thing. Also the peppermint capsules on the same site are great for cramping.

I hope that 11/13 gets here quickly for you. Please let us know how you are doing and what the doc says.

SB

Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #42
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabell View Post
CCW! So glad things are still going well for you, and look at how calmly you handled one little bump in the road! It could be the thought of having to go to a wedding made your stomach a little nervous and it emptied beforehand so you could enjoy yourself.

As you know, I tried everything to help my IBS. I used to joke that if standing on my head nekkid during a full moon whistling Dixie in Madison Square Guarden would help, I would gladly do it! I had read about some hypnosis CDs that were made for IBS and I googled them. That lead me to Heather's site where I spent the afternoon reading everything. I didn't order the acacia fiber right away because I had tried other fiber (OTC at drugstores etc) and they made my IBS so much worse.

(I did, however, order the hypnosis cds which didn't help, I kept falling asleep during them). I then ordered her book and read that.

I finally gave in and ordered the peppermint capsules and acacia fiber and with everything else I was already doing, things clicked into place and I started on my road to recovery. (Happy dancing!)

Meditation is great...very thought provoking but at the same time relaxing. I'm all for getting rid of all the negative energy in my life!

We are going to have a party on July 25th!! Cyber cake for all!
LoAnn,

I am so sorry that you are suffering so much. Just reading your post had me remembering and feeling those spasms. Are you eating at all during this time? Because if you are, I would recommend sticking with the BRAT diet or whatever foods you know are less likely to irritate your tummy.

Please search on line for the acacia fiber, I don't think acacia juice or bars is the same thing. Also the peppermint capsules on the same site are great for cramping.

I hope that 11/13 gets here quickly for you. Please let us know how you are doing and what the doc says.

SB

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
(female)

Thank you for all the suggestions, I will most defintely give everythng a try..... I will let you know what my doc suggests and if I have to go thru any testing. Nov 13th seems so far away. Stay well.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #44
(male)

counterclockwys HB User

Hey LouAnn, I wish Healthboards could act as "intermediary" in times like this.
I have two cans of "peppermint capsules" I would send you to try. I know they help some, but my tummy is too sensitive for them! I would be only too happy to send them to you if I could.

I wish for you a better day today and and an even better one tomorrow!!

Hey Seabell....I found it!...I found it!! I had to go to our capital city (Topeka) and find a good a "health food store". I was able to pick up the Cape Town (South Africa) Rooibos Tea and was so surprised that they also had "Heather's" Fennel seed Tummy Tea so I got that too! I'm now trying both of them.....Rooibos tea in the morning and Fennel seed tea in the evening....I really do enjoy both of them as I just love tea anyway....but the plus is that they just might help my tummy in the process.

Oh...BTW....I had my wallet stolen while I was in Topeka.....sure did mess up my stomach!!!!! A "still happy" CCW

Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #45
(female)

CCW!

What "crappy" (lol, get it??) news about your wallet! That is certainly a huge hassle to go thru, getting everything cancelled and changed.

But..good news about the tea! Did you check to see if they carry Heather's fiber also? You can save on shipping and get back to the big bad city more often (wish I could send you a wallet chain!)

I love the rooibus tea. It's just so...warm. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking, hot tea is usually warm after a bit ) I'm not a tea drinker but I find myself looking forward to my nighttime cuppa!

My daughter and I just got home from the bookstore and iHops! I'm still getting used to eating out and being out after dark. I was fascinated by all the light up Halloween decorations we passed. It's wonderful having a life back isn't it?

LouAnn...you are in my thoughts a lot and I hope you are feeling better. I'm counting down the days with you until your doctor appt.

SB

Closed Thread