It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

fedupoh HB User
Citrucel Side Effects

Hi there. I'm new to this board but have suffered from IBS and Endometriosis for 10 years.

I've just had a massive IBSC flairup and have decided to start taking fiber supplements. I've tried Psyllium, which was awful, and am now on Citrucel. I am feeling very bloated / gassy - I wanted to know, should I persevere in the hope that my body will adjust, or just give up? It's made me less constipated, which is good, but I feel pretty terrible

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Citrucel Side Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupoh View Post
Hi there. I'm new to this board but have suffered from IBS and Endometriosis for 10 years.

I've just had a massive IBSC flairup and have decided to start taking fiber supplements. I've tried Psyllium, which was awful, and am now on Citrucel. I am feeling very bloated / gassy - I wanted to know, should I persevere in the hope that my body will adjust, or just give up? It's made me less constipated, which is good, but I feel pretty terrible

Thanks
Try drinking an 8 oz. glass of water before taking Citrucel and then another 8oz. glass of water after taking it. Sometimes it takes two or three doses of the Citrucel for your body adjust to it. It does work well for me and I have IBS-C too. The gassiness and feeling bloated could be the constipation and not the Citrucel. I get very gassy when I am severely constipated and once I have moved my bowels the gas goes away.
One of the thing that has helped me get my IBS and constipation under control is take 30 minutes each morning even before I get into the shower to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I do slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have moved my bowels. It relaxes me and helps relax the rectal and anal muscles making it easier to go without pain or straining. I hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

fedupoh HB User
Smile Re: Citrucel Side Effects

Thank you very much - I will definitely follow your advice

Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

Just wanted to share. I have had IBS forever. I have tried nearly everything on the market

A natropath that I met was telling me that I needed to find a probiotic with lactobacillus gastri in it. I thought I'd try it cause nothing else is working. After 2 weeks I am normal. No pain, no bloating(down a pants size). The one I use is Phillips colon health.

T

T

Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

You didn't say why psyllium was so awful. Another suggestion for psyllium (if you've not already tried it). If you have IBS with constipation take your dose in 12 oz of water. If you are taking psyllium for diarrhea take it in 8 oz. of water. Always start with 1/4 dose of Psyllium daily & gradually build up to your regular dose. Good luck!

Closed Thread