Hello everyone. Since I was little, I have always had issues with constipation or diarrhea. I am a 23 y/o female. I have always believed that I have IBS, but I don't ever remember a doctor telling me this. About a year or so ago, I went to a GI and told him that I believed I had IBS, but I was never formally diagnosed. He said that it "probably was" and did no testing for it.
So in the past few months, I had gotten really sick with sinus/ear/urinary tract infections. I was on about eight rounds of antibiotics. (Ranging from Zitromax, Keflex, Levaquin, Augmentin, Cipro, Bactrium and Macrobid.) I went from never taking medication, to taking a TON of it. (Mainly antihistimines and asthma medication from my new "allergies.")
In the past month or so, I have been dealing with the worst stomach issues of my life. I am REALLY worried that it could be a serious issue that my doctors are overlooking or downplaying.
The symptoms have ranged from:
- Chronic constipation (it started out as diarrhea that lasted for days)
- Upper abdominal pain (I thought I was having liver problems for a while due to all the new meds)
- Bladder pain (sometimes not related to the urinary tract infection)
- Occasional episodes of nausea (it can be random and comes and goes)
- Constant fatigue (sleeping 12 hours a day, if not more)
- Sharp pain in upper-left abdomen (sometimes when I breathe. Not sure if related or not.)
- Weird and inconsistent stools that range from:
A. Fully-formed light brown with darker brown "chunks" in them (the chunks look impacted into the stool
B. Stool pellets that come out every once and a while (sometimes dark, sometimes lighter brown)
C. Soft/sticky greenish-brown stool with red "specks" in it, foul-smelling (leaves residue in toilet)
D. Smaller, very dark, sticky pellets that are hard to pass
E. Rarely, I will pass white mucus
Here are the tests that I have had done regarding these issues:
- 3 c.diff tests (all negative)
- At least 1 fecal occult blood test (negative. Not sure if they tested for blood in the c.diff tests)
- Gallbladder ultrasound (negative)
- Full abdominal ultrasound (negative, but it showed that I had a "slightly" larger spleen. She noted that it was "nothing out of the ordinary.")
- Mountains of blood work that tested for liver/kidney/pancreas/white blood cells/anemia (all normal)
I feel as though my doctors have been largely unhelpful. Every time I go back to the family doctor, he says "clean yourself out with Magnesium Citrate, increase fiber, take Miralax everyday, reduce dairy." I have talked with my gastro about these issues, but he didn't really give me advice...
My family doctor said that I could have possibly had a hemorrhoid after using Magnesium Citrate for the first time. I haven't had blood on the toliet paper since though. Mostly in my stool, I believe. Based off this information, could these symptoms be indicative of a bigger problem?