It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

Smartpoetic HB User
Question IBS or Colon Issues?

Hello everyone. Since I was little, I have always had issues with constipation or diarrhea. I am a 23 y/o female. I have always believed that I have IBS, but I don't ever remember a doctor telling me this. About a year or so ago, I went to a GI and told him that I believed I had IBS, but I was never formally diagnosed. He said that it "probably was" and did no testing for it.

So in the past few months, I had gotten really sick with sinus/ear/urinary tract infections. I was on about eight rounds of antibiotics. (Ranging from Zitromax, Keflex, Levaquin, Augmentin, Cipro, Bactrium and Macrobid.) I went from never taking medication, to taking a TON of it. (Mainly antihistimines and asthma medication from my new "allergies.")

In the past month or so, I have been dealing with the worst stomach issues of my life. I am REALLY worried that it could be a serious issue that my doctors are overlooking or downplaying.

The symptoms have ranged from:
- Chronic constipation (it started out as diarrhea that lasted for days)
- Upper abdominal pain (I thought I was having liver problems for a while due to all the new meds)
- Bladder pain (sometimes not related to the urinary tract infection)
- Occasional episodes of nausea (it can be random and comes and goes)
- Constant fatigue (sleeping 12 hours a day, if not more)
- Sharp pain in upper-left abdomen (sometimes when I breathe. Not sure if related or not.)
- Weird and inconsistent stools that range from:
A. Fully-formed light brown with darker brown "chunks" in them (the chunks look impacted into the stool
B. Stool pellets that come out every once and a while (sometimes dark, sometimes lighter brown)
C. Soft/sticky greenish-brown stool with red "specks" in it, foul-smelling (leaves residue in toilet)
D. Smaller, very dark, sticky pellets that are hard to pass
E. Rarely, I will pass white mucus
Here are the tests that I have had done regarding these issues:
- 3 c.diff tests (all negative)
- At least 1 fecal occult blood test (negative. Not sure if they tested for blood in the c.diff tests)
- Gallbladder ultrasound (negative)
- Full abdominal ultrasound (negative, but it showed that I had a "slightly" larger spleen. She noted that it was "nothing out of the ordinary.")
- Mountains of blood work that tested for liver/kidney/pancreas/white blood cells/anemia (all normal)
I feel as though my doctors have been largely unhelpful. Every time I go back to the family doctor, he says "clean yourself out with Magnesium Citrate, increase fiber, take Miralax everyday, reduce dairy." I have talked with my gastro about these issues, but he didn't really give me advice...

My family doctor said that I could have possibly had a hemorrhoid after using Magnesium Citrate for the first time. I haven't had blood on the toliet paper since though. Mostly in my stool, I believe.

Based off this information, could these symptoms be indicative of a bigger problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
(female)

Red Polka Dots HB UserRed Polka Dots HB User
Re: IBS or Colon Issues?

Did you ever get this sorted out? I hope things have improved for you since. The bowel movements would alarm me, especially your description of red specks in the bowel movement. I hope you switched doctors to one that won't fob you off.

Closed Thread