It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

mhp8982 HB User
IBS or Stomach Virus?

My husband has awful bowel issues. I'm almost certain he has IBS.. and I'm trying to get him to go to the dr for it.. but that is almost impossible. But every morning for years he will have diarrhea.. just once then he'll be fine. He's tried eliminating certain foods.. and the only thing that helped some was coffee.. but it doesn't get rid of it entirely.

Well every once in awhile he will have a really bad bout where he will have bad watery diarrhea for a day...but he'll still be hungry and he'll eat.. even though it comes right out. Food will still sound and taste good. So it doesn't sound likely to be a virus. But it sure puts him down and out.

Yesterday he had one of these. He had watery diarrhea before he left for work around 7am.. but felt fine.. thought it was his usual. He ate an apple and granola bar for breakfast. Had another bout of diarrhea around 10:30... came home for lunch.. said he was hungry but not feeling good in his bowels. He ate a sandwich.. felt kinda bad like maybe he should stay home.. but he tried to go back again. He had d* again when he got there. He took one imodium.. and drank a bunch of water and gatorade.. and said he felt much better. He ate some crackers throughout the rest of the day. He was able to function and get through work. When he got home he said he was exhausted and sleepy but very hungry. And I asked him what he wanted... and he wanted something home cooked... I thought that doesn't sound very good after having diarrhea. But he said it sounded good. So he had some roast beef, mashed potatoes and corn. Ate it all.. said it tasted great. He never had anymore diarrhea and he only took the ammonium once around 12:30 in the afternoon. After dinner he went to bed.. said he felt nauseous.. probably from eating that heavy food... But he woke up this morning feeling decent. He ate yogurt and a n english muffin for breakfast and had a sandwich for lunch and it settled fine.

It just doesn't seem in line with a stomach virus... cause I know from my own experience.. when it's a true stomach virus.. I don't want to even look at food... let alone eat it.. trying to choke down crackers is hard enough.. and I would have diarrhea several times regardless of eating.. and this seemed to happen only when he ate. But food sounded and tasted great to him.

Now Wednesday and yesterday morning he did a bunch of very hard work.. they were moving from the 7th floor to the 2nd floor of the building he works in.. and they moved stuff all over the campus he works at...heavy lifting.. something he never does... and also it's been blazing hot outside.. AND on Wednesday he insisted that I get him some veggies at the grocery store because he wants to eat better. Well he ate a ton of raw baby carrots right before bed and I was looking and saw that can be a natural laxative.. and we had broccoli with dinner.. plus then he had the apple for breakfast.. lots of fiber.. he's not use to. So maybe these could have factored into his attack? I don't know.

Just looking for some other thoughts on the matter.... while I try to convince him to go to the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: IBS or Stomach Virus?

That sure doesn't sound like a virus to me.

It's OK to manage IBS at home through diet. However, he should see a doctor just to make sure there's nothing else going on, such as inflammatory bowel disease.

One good way to manage it is to carefully manage the amounts of fiber and fat in the diet. Fruit and veggies are good, but if you have a sensitive colon, eating huge amounts at one sitting is not the best idea, as they can have a laxative effect. Whole grains also have fiber, but they are more calming to the digestive system. Meat tends to slow down the digestive system. (Of course, too much meat can have other nasty health effects, such as weight gain and heart disease.)

It's really about finding what works for his body. And once he gets his digestion balanced, he should avoid any drastic changes in diet.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

mhp8982 HB User
Re: IBS or Stomach Virus?

Thanks.. I really didn't think it sounded like a virus either. But I didn't know for sure.. and didn't know how to treat it. Like he's contagious or not.

He definitely did that.. by eating a bunch of carrots before bed Wednesday night.. He had broccoli for dinner that night.. then an apple in the morning. Plus on top of working so hard the day before.. all things he doesnt usually do! lol So doing stuff like that could definitely set off an IBS attack, huh? That's interesting. I'm trying to convince him to go to the dr. He's had an attack like this maybe 5 or 6 times in the 3 years we've been together. However he does have soft almost diarrhea bm every single morning.. but it just doesn't end up feeling like this.

Is it also typical for an IBS attack to make him feel so awful? He slept for 12 hours last night.. and is still tired today.. although he is feeling a million times better and ate totally normal today. It could be a combo of all the things he's done the past few days I guess. he's probably wore himself out.

Last edited by mhp8982; 07-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Closed Thread