It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
trace90 HB User
Severe left side pain

I have had severe pain on the left side of my back and my lower left pelvic area for almost three years. It comes and goes it episodes,usually about a month or so apart sometimes more frequently. Stress definitely has an effect on it. I have been to multiple doctors for this including a lot if specialists and no body has an answer. I've had a colonoscopy but the doc said he didnt see anything of concern. The pain comes with nausea and constipation. I am currently taking levsin but it's not aiding in the pain anymore and my regular doctor just recently had me start taking amitza for chronic constipation which is an issue I have had for a while. Theres no regularity to my bowel movements. Is anyone having the same pain or have an advice in how to deal? I can't have a job that requires me to be on my feet for long periods or be active for too long. Anything will be appreciated. I'm beginning to feel hopeless.

 
Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Millburn
Posts: 136
SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

I have the same exact pain, except I ignored it and then I got really sick in Nov 11' . That is when I went to a GI for the first time, they did a c-scope and said I had UC. I took meds for 5 months and just never felt better, finally I went for a 2nd opinion and they did another c-scope. Completely clear, they said I was misdiagnosed. They said I had IBS not UC, crazy right.

After all this, I still get the exact same pain your talking about. It is triggered after my bowl movement in the morning and last the entire day but usually subsides by night. That said it reeks havoc on my morning commute, so sick to my stomach. To regulate my movements my doc put me on fibercon. It helps, but as for the pain and sick belly he said there is not much he can do....I find that removing caffeine and eating smaller meals helps, otherwise pepto and zantac have become my best friends. I think it is gas and reflux to be honest, but we are in our own......

please continue to talk to me, I feel like I finally found someone who has the same problem I have....

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
trace90 HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

I'm considering having a different doctor do another colonoscopy. (I had a second opinion of my first done and he said the quality of my first was very poor in that it was real blurry and hard to determine if anything really was wrong). The same doctor told me there's nothing he can do and it is just something I have to live with. I have to be careful of what I eat all the time. I am lactose intolerant and have problems with spicy foods. I was put on amitza to help regulate my bowel movements. They are improving but not quite how I'd like them to be. I just want answers!

I'm glad I found someone who can relate!

 
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
flipfleury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose,Ca USA
Posts: 705
flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace90 View Post
I have had severe pain on the left side of my back and my lower left pelvic area for almost three years. It comes and goes it episodes,usually about a month or so apart sometimes more frequently. Stress definitely has an effect on it. I have been to multiple doctors for this including a lot if specialists and no body has an answer. I've had a colonoscopy but the doc said he didnt see anything of concern. The pain comes with nausea and constipation. I am currently taking levsin but it's not aiding in the pain anymore and my regular doctor just recently had me start taking amitza for chronic constipation which is an issue I have had for a while. Theres no regularity to my bowel movements. Is anyone having the same pain or have an advice in how to deal? I can't have a job that requires me to be on my feet for long periods or be active for too long. Anything will be appreciated. I'm beginning to feel hopeless.
I get this pain as well but I'm not constipated when I get it. My personal opinion it has something to do with having IBS because I have heard others on the bowel issues board complain of this left sided pain. Do you have problems with trapped gas when you're constipated ? Sometimes my trapped gas pains are the left side and only get relieved by having bowel movement but yet I get the pain on the left side even if I don't get trapped gas or constipation. Mine seems to have no rhyme or reason to it.

 
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Millburn
Posts: 136
SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

FlipFleury my pain is very similar to yours. Mine actually come most frequently after my morning movement. I have been pretty on schedule but I get these pains right after and some time my stomach flips. I think it has to do with emptying your colon and it is trapped gas as well......I don't know but it suck!

 
Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
trace90 HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
I get this pain as well but I'm not constipated when I get it. My personal opinion it has something to do with having IBS because I have heard others on the bowel issues board complain of this left sided pain. Do you have problems with trapped gas when you're constipated ? Sometimes my trapped gas pains are the left side and only get relieved by having bowel movement but yet I get the pain on the left side even if I don't get trapped gas or constipation. Mine seems to have no rhyme or reason to it.

Yeah, I do have a problem with trapped gas when constipated. I don't get any relief with bowel movements which is what is most frustrating. Even if I can have a bowel movement most of the time it just makes the pain worse. No rhyme or reason at all! Thank you for replying. For a while, I was beginning to feel alone in this.

 
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: ca
Posts: 1,438
worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Smile Re: Severe left side pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickinNJ View Post
FlipFleury my pain is very similar to yours. Mine actually come most frequently after my morning movement. I have been pretty on schedule but I get these pains right after and some time my stomach flips. I think it has to do with emptying your colon and it is trapped gas as well......I don't know but it suck!
I also have this!!!!!!! I just had my 3rd colonoscopy 2 weeks ago! I am 34 yrs old! It sucks and this symptom started 1 yr ago. I even had a laporoscopy thinking I had woman issues! I am tired of being sick to my stomach! I feel your pain. I am also not constipated when this happens.
__________________
Carly

 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore,india
Posts: 1
pokale HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickinNJ View Post
I have the same exact pain, except I ignored it and then I got really sick in Nov 11' . That is when I went to a GI for the first time, they did a c-scope and said I had UC. I took meds for 5 months and just never felt better, finally I went for a 2nd opinion and they did another c-scope. Completely clear, they said I was misdiagnosed. They said I had IBS not UC, crazy right.

After all this, I still get the exact same pain your talking about. It is triggered after my bowl movement in the morning and last the entire day but usually subsides by night. That said it reeks havoc on my morning commute, so sick to my stomach. To regulate my movements my doc put me on fibercon. It helps, but as for the pain and sick belly he said there is not much he can do....I find that removing caffeine and eating smaller meals helps, otherwise pepto and zantac have become my best friends. I think it is gas and reflux to be honest, but we are in our own......

please continue to talk to me, I feel like I finally found someone who has the same problem I have....

i am from india and have severe pain on left side it goes on for days and no relief. I am taking colospa retard 200mg twice a day and also 10 mg tryptomer along with fibre drink. but it does not help me much. However, I like to have coffee at least once a day. is this the cause ? what is helping you please share.

 
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1
bevcat HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

Hi, this is my first post on HealthBoards. You have the EXACT same symptoms as mine: pain folllowing first bowel movement in the morning with the pain lasting most of the day and subsiding by night. I don't know how severe your pain is, but my GI has referred me to a Pain Specialist because my pain can be excruciating and has been known to last up to 19 hours. So, talk to your GI is your pain is debilitating.
I do not have IBS, but I do have Small Bowel Dymotility, which means that I frequently have constipation. I also have Gastroparesis, which causes frequent nausea and vomiting. Luckily, there are prescription meds that help with my digestion and nausea. Eating, small but frequent meals, is another way to control your nausea symptoms. If your symptoms continue, and especially if they worsen, please see your GI and report your symptoms and question him/her about the possibility of gastroparesis.
Now about our pain problem. I am seeing one of the top GI specialist in the country, Dr. Thomas Abell, who believes my problem my be related to neuropathy. ( I forgot to add that I also have Autonomic Neuropathy). At this point, he is reviewing my records to determine if there are any medical solutions to my problem. I'll keep you posted.

 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 273
julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcat View Post
Hi, this is my first post on HealthBoards. You have the EXACT same symptoms as mine: pain folllowing first bowel movement in the morning with the pain lasting most of the day and subsiding by night. I don't know how severe your pain is, but my GI has referred me to a Pain Specialist because my pain can be excruciating and has been known to last up to 19 hours. So, talk to your GI is your pain is debilitating.
I do not have IBS, but I do have Small Bowel Dymotility, which means that I frequently have constipation. I also have Gastroparesis, which causes frequent nausea and vomiting. Luckily, there are prescription meds that help with my digestion and nausea. Eating, small but frequent meals, is another way to control your nausea symptoms. If your symptoms continue, and especially if they worsen, please see your GI and report your symptoms and question him/her about the possibility of gastroparesis.
Now about our pain problem. I am seeing one of the top GI specialist in the country, Dr. Thomas Abell, who believes my problem my be related to neuropathy. ( I forgot to add that I also have Autonomic Neuropathy). At this point, he is reviewing my records to determine if there are any medical solutions to my problem. I'll keep you posted.

It makes perfect sense that Gastroparesis would be related to neuropathy. It's also found in diabetics, who suffer from diabetic neuropathy. I have peripheral neuropathy, and I believe it is now affecting my stomach, hence the GP. I also have Fibromyalgia, and IBS-C.

I have suffered with the lower left side pain, once so bad, I was hospitalized for three days. After numerous tests and a "hail Mary" enema, I finally found relief! (The IV pain meds weren't touching the pain.)

I take a daily dose of Miralax, and struggle with diet. Low Fodmap, which helps IBS, still has too much fiber for GP.

Still trying to find the right combination. Sitting here with diarrhea tonight, gas and bloating and tummy pain. It never ends!

 
Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 139
Penguinboy55 HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

Could be Crohn's disease. iBS is a possible cause but it rarely cause severe pain. Getting another colonoscopy would be good.

 
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #12
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: California
Posts: 65
puzzik79 HB Userpuzzik79 HB User
Re: Severe left side pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinboy55 View Post
Could be Crohn's disease. iBS is a possible cause but it rarely cause severe pain. Getting another colonoscopy would be good.

First of all, to say that IBS rarely causes pain is not true. IBS can cause severe pain depending on the root cause. In my case it is yeast, and in the beginning it felt like my left colon was ripping apart.

Crohn's usually shows up with fever and bloody diarrhea. The colonoscopy would have caught that by now. Crohn's is usually genetic, but not always.

I would recommend the OP a DNA stool test and food allergy panel. I had mine on 02/2014 and I'm light years away from where I was when this mess started.

There are a lot of other factors as well such as diet, smoking habits, alcohol, medications.

Also for the OP, staying on medications and laxatives is not a long term solution.

Last edited by puzzik79; 06-08-2014 at 10:59 PM.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to puzzik79 For This Useful Post:
worrywort (06-10-2014)
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



solofelix (24), flipfleury (19), seabell (5), Gugulimo (5), ladybud (4), JJ (4), gmak (4), puzzik79 (4), cathy1 (3), Meadowsweet33 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1005), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!