It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User
ibs orange/yellow bms?

Hi guys

This is sort of a crazy topic to chat about but I was wondering if this was normal or not?

I have a good amount of days where I have orangy/yellowish bowel movements. I lately started seeing undigested food in them too, and its kind of worrying me like crazy. Does this happen often in IBS?

Ive had IBS now for around 6/7 years and it started when I was under a lot of stress. I have aspergers which means that I tend to over do on things when I get into a habit. One day I ate 6 activia yoghurts, you know the ones that slow digestive transit supposedly? and I became constipated. I think ever since around that time, my diet has caused me to go through a lot. I found I was lactose intolerant and egg intolerant, so I decided to go vegan without doing any research! Ive struggled to change my diet, because I hate change so much. I also developed OCD and a sort of eating disorder from that, which for a year or so made the IBS a lot lot worse.

My stress levels are now lower thank goodness, but still suffer daily from chronic anxiety. With the OCD I cant take any medications, because I feel they do more harm than good, so that really reinforced the plant based diet Im on.

To cut a long story short, I was at university for my induction the other day. All I had to eat was 3 apples and a handfull of almonds. I didnt get much to drink either, so it made it worse I think. I came home today, and I had stools that were really pale, like a darkened cream shade as well as orangy ones. The orange ones didnt float, but the other ones which were pale did. I
sometimes over eat on nuts, and I always have pale looking stools which float. Is this simply because Im over eating them? or perhaps because I cant digest things? Ive also bought a test for celiac disease, but have removed gluten from my diet for the time being until I confirm the test results.

Sometimes the stools are normal colored, usually only when Im constipated though, so maybe the food is going through my system too quickly? Is that also common with IBS without having diarrhea? I very rarely get diarrhea and have heard theres different types of IBS, so perhaps Im a different type or something?

Sorry for yacking away, hope someone can relate or perhaps answer.

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: ibs orange/yellow bms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boic View Post
Hi guys

This is sort of a crazy topic to chat about but I was wondering if this was normal or not?

I have a good amount of days where I have orangy/yellowish bowel movements. I lately started seeing undigested food in them too, and its kind of worrying me like crazy. Does this happen often in IBS?

Ive had IBS now for around 6/7 years and it started when I was under a lot of stress. I have aspergers which means that I tend to over do on things when I get into a habit. One day I ate 6 activia yoghurts, you know the ones that slow digestive transit supposedly? and I became constipated. I think ever since around that time, my diet has caused me to go through a lot. I found I was lactose intolerant and egg intolerant, so I decided to go vegan without doing any research! Ive struggled to change my diet, because I hate change so much. I also developed OCD and a sort of eating disorder from that, which for a year or so made the IBS a lot lot worse.

My stress levels are now lower thank goodness, but still suffer daily from chronic anxiety. With the OCD I cant take any medications, because I feel they do more harm than good, so that really reinforced the plant based diet Im on.

To cut a long story short, I was at university for my induction the other day. All I had to eat was 3 apples and a handfull of almonds. I didnt get much to drink either, so it made it worse I think. I came home today, and I had stools that were really pale, like a darkened cream shade as well as orangy ones. The orange ones didnt float, but the other ones which were pale did. I
sometimes over eat on nuts, and I always have pale looking stools which float. Is this simply because Im over eating them? or perhaps because I cant digest things? Ive also bought a test for celiac disease, but have removed gluten from my diet for the time being until I confirm the test results.

Sometimes the stools are normal colored, usually only when Im constipated though, so maybe the food is going through my system too quickly? Is that also common with IBS without having diarrhea? I very rarely get diarrhea and have heard theres different types of IBS, so perhaps Im a different type or something?

Sorry for yacking away, hope someone can relate or perhaps answer.

Chris
It maybe what you're eating that is making them orange/yellow or pale. Nuts are high in fiber. When you go to a diet high in fiber with fresh fruit and vegetables,nuts,and beans things will move faster through the colon. The undigested food you see is the insoluble fiber that doesn't get digested. It's usually plant based foods like fresh fruit and vegetables.
Activa yogurt is suppose to help regulate your digestive system and help you to be able to move your bowels on a regular basis. It's usually taken by people who have constipation problems. If you are lactose intolerant it could possibly cause to become constipated though.
I have had IBS since June of 1996,and mine alternates between constipation and diarrhea,although most of the time I am constipated. I had chronic constipation since I was a baby. Some of it is due to low thyroid but most it is because I have bad bowel habits and don't eat or drink properly a lot of the time. In the past year though I have made a very conscience effort to eat a high fiber diet,drink more water, make and allow time each morning to move my bowels even before I get into the shower. This not only has relieved my constipation but it also had reduced my IBS symptoms significantly to almost nothing more than 80 % of the time.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

Hi...when my bm's turned orange or yellow, my gastro doctor told me that's the end of the waste in your bowels. It is normal.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if that is the problem.. I seem to have been having this now for about 8 months.. and it seems to get better when I have constipation. The colour I mean. Perhaps it's leaving my body too fast? could that cause yellow stool? To be really honest.. since becoming chronically constipated a few times.. it scared the "crap" out of me.. haha. Sorry for the pun. Each time I go to use the toilet now.. I get scared and pray! It's so sad.. I fear that it's going to be really painful for me again. I think this has led to me sort of.. telling myself in a way.. that I need to go every single day because if I dont.. I tend to get constipated. I think each time I do get constipated.. Im not drinking half enough of the amount of water I need.. and also I load up on seeded bread! It's just really painful.. eating things like raspberries, the seeds can really hurt me.. and with the seeded bread.. it's the Burgen soya and linseed.. the linseed.. crickey! that really hurts at times.. I know I have to chew more and drink more water.. Perhaps my anxiety has gotten the better of me. I have been diagnosed with 2 different anxiety disorders though.. so.. probably no surprise that its taken over. OCD and PTSD. I tend to "avoid" things a lot of the time.. to avoid negative situations.. my OCD is more towards chemical contamination.. but the PTSD can feed off anything I read in the press or anything! I remember not too long back the thing in europe with the ecoli.. I freaked for over a whole month. And the swine flu.. and other things like the tomato sauce making people ill. I know I need help.. Im going to seek some soon.

But is there anything I can do to make sure that I dont become constipated even if I dont use the loo in a few days? Water I presume is a big one.. but what about things in diet wise? soluble fibre foods? if so.. which are best?

Chris

Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Pale, cream colored stools and floating stools is a sign that bile is not getting into the small intestine. Bile is what gives the stool its brown color. Floating is because the stools contain too much fat, as bile aids in fat digestion. You may have gallbladder disease or a partial blockage in bile ducts. Malabsorption, such as celiac disease can cause fatty stools too. This is not a symptom of IBS. I would see a gastroenterologist, and take in a sample of the pale stool to show the color. They may want a 24 hr collection of stool, and will most likely run tests to find the problem.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Pale, cream colored stools and floating stools is a sign that bile is not getting into the small intestine. Bile is what gives the stool its brown color. Floating is because the stools contain too much fat, as bile aids in fat digestion. You may have gallbladder disease or a partial blockage in bile ducts. Malabsorption, such as celiac disease can cause fatty stools too. This is not a symptom of IBS. I would see a gastroenterologist, and take in a sample of the pale stool to show the color. They may want a 24 hr collection of stool, and will most likely run tests to find the problem.
Hi

Thanks for your reply. As I said above, I tend to force myself to going to the toilet every day. Im not sure if this is the cause.. as the bowel movement colour when constipated is normal. I have checked all of the signs of Gallbladder disease, and have never experienced those sort of signs. I know sometimes they "can be" asymptomatic.. but in most cases it will present itself at some time. It's not usually pale.. it's more yellow. Which leads me to ask if this is something to do with the food being pushed out too soon from the colon? I feel fine apart from my anxiety, and an ear infection I had recently.. I would be seriously ill right now if I had any sort of gallbladder disease, and I would know instinctively that something was seriously wrong.

I checked if I was celiac today.. Im not it turns out.. so again.. whether or not this has to do with me hurrying my digestive tract all the time or not is perhaps a good question to ask. Do you think it could cause yellow stool? I feel the white/pale stool was caused by eating too many nuts.

Last edited by boic; 09-20-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Gallbladder problems can definitely be there without symptoms. So I would stick with my original advice.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
(female)

boic...I just looked up yellow stools and read it can be caused by anxiety. I am loaded with anxiety so maybe when it happens to me, that's the cause and you state you are stressed so maybe....look up yellow stool. They have a variety of interesting reading. Feel better and try to stay calm. (I know..easier said then done)

Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLinda View Post
boic...I just looked up yellow stools and read it can be caused by anxiety. I am loaded with anxiety so maybe when it happens to me, that's the cause and you state you are stressed so maybe....look up yellow stool. They have a variety of interesting reading. Feel better and try to stay calm. (I know..easier said then done)
Hi NJLinda

Thanks for giving that information you found. I think IBS is the cause of this, because I personally know that certain food items can go straight through your body without them being digested either at all or partially.. sort of going through too fast.

That is what I've thought was my problem. I've been under a lot of stress recently trying to start my university course. Lots of things causing me anxiety.. and of course.. it's even worse because anxiety can hide too.. so you never know if you have lots of it or none at all. I definitely know that food is going through the system too fast, and this is the reason why. The reason I know this? Because I seen a food item (trying to be as nondescript as possible here!) and it's colour had turned from green to yellow.. so I know that bile had been involved in breaking it down.. or it wouldn't have been yellow! It would have been green still.

Stress is a big one in IBS isn't it? And I also notice when I go without sleep, I have trouble then also.. too much spicy foods can kick off a stomach ache.. and wheat bran is a cow! That stuff really really hurts.. never again! haha.

I've heard that soluble fibre is the key to treating IBS, as is eliminating food intolerances. I've got rid of foods which I'm intolerant to.. and now all I need is soluble fibre. Do you follow any diet to help your IBS? and also.. do you do anything to help the anxiety? I find it really hard to meditate or the mindfulness approach some CBT places offer as treatment. I only recently found out that its OK to have inner chatter when meditating.. and to not try to stop it.. just to let the thoughts come out.. So perhaps I'll try giving it another go. It really helped me at one point.. and then things got very bad for me in my life, and I had no place to do meditation any more feeling peaceful.

Have a great day anyway, and thanks for your replies. I appreciate the support this forum gives. Makes me feel less alone in some aspects.

Chris

Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Finally believe I found out what it was that is causing this.. Low Iron - Anemia! I searched for what made stools their normal color, and it turns out that its old blood cells released into the large intestine. With iron deficiency anemia, you dont have as much of that happening, and so the stool color changes. I also have the other symptoms of anemia, such as breathlessness when walking for a period longer than a few minutes.. also weight loss and not being able to put weight on as easily as I used to, also dizziness and low blood pressure at times. I have problems controlling blood sugar levels occasionally, and this usually happens when I get really anxious or stessed. It causes my cortisol levels to drop, and that causes the blood glucose levels to swing from too high to too low, also feeds into the low blood pressure, especially when standing up otherwise its normal (orthostatic hypotension). Recently researchers found that people with aspergers have lower cortisol levels, and I have aspergers. I tried the different tests to see how I responded (pupil dilation reactions to light) and others, and I tested positive for low cortisol.

The reason I say all this is because I think its all fed in to actually developing IBS in the first place. Then IBS can cause issues in its own ways, one of which could be anemia. In my case its a mixture of poor diet (eating disorder) and stress that has caused anemia.

I tested it out and ate some breakfast cereal with iron fortified within it. The next day.. stool color was normal again after being yellow/orange for months. I was eating pistachio nuts and cashews, which would normally cause me problems digesting them.. like I posted originally.. and it was fine! I had managed to digest them properly again. I had normal stool color for maybe 4/5 days after eating the cereal (ate 3 bowls with soy milk) and today the color is going back towards the yellow/orange again. Id notice the same effect when I would eat seeded bread which was whole grain. It looked more normal when I ate more iron.. so I today after discovering this have put iron back into my diet in larger amounts than what I have been doing. Being vegan doesnt make someone more likely to develop this though, just simply eating a diet not rich in iron is. Adding larger amounts of vitamin C is known to increase iron absorption.

I would say to anyone if youre going through the same, try looking at anemia as perhaps one cause of it. People with IBS can develop it because were more prone to absorption problems, and there are 3 different minerals/vitamins you can become anemic with.. those are Vitamin B12, Folate and Iron. Iron anemia is really really common too. I have a phoebia of needles and seeing blood, and so going to my GP for a full blood test is out of the question for me. But.. I did find a pin ***** blood test that detects iron anemia which you can do at home. Im fine with a tiny pin ***** blood test, but anything else is just too much to handle.

Just noticed the sensorship on the blood test thing now, which made me giggle. lol

Last edited by boic; 09-27-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
(female)

Happy that you may have found out your problem. I have been low in vitamin D for the past year but never anemic. Everyone's body is different and you have to do what works for you. Maybe it's time for a blood work-up too. I do have to add that mine have not been yellow nor orange for a long time now.
Hurray for us and our colorful problem!

Closed Thread