HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/)
-   -   managing ibs symptoms (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/919165-managing-ibs-symptoms.html)

te22a 09-19-2012 09:45 AM

managing ibs symptoms

Hi, I am new to this site and have been suffering with IBS for a while, but I have only just found this forum after recently buying a laptop!
The main problem I have is with constipation, diarrhea and acid reflux. Does anyone mind sharing their main problems and how they deal with these symptoms? I have tried over the counter remedies but they donít always work. Thanks.

solofelix 09-19-2012 10:48 AM

Re: managing ibs symptoms

I also have IBS and found none of the conventional medication helped me at all.
My main symptoms are Diareah or Constipation and Nausea.
I can go for weeks with no problems and then suddenly they all appear at once. For me the best solution has been dietary wise. Look up diets for IBS. You may have to adjust things to suit yourself. For instance when I have Constipation if I eat figs (fresh if possible) and prunes, it works!!...For Diareah I increase my Fibre-intake.
I also try and drink more water during bad spells.
We are all different and it really is a case of trial/error. Good Luck,

Solofelix.

flipfleury 09-19-2012 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=te22a;5058564]Hi, I am new to this site and have been suffering with IBS for a while, but I have only just found this forum after recently buying a laptop!
The main problem I have is with constipation, diarrhea and acid reflux. Does anyone mind sharing their main problems and how they deal with these symptoms? I have tried over the counter remedies but they donít always work. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I am a 51 year old female with a lifelong history of chronic constipation and then in June of 1996 I was diagnosed with IBS- A= alternating between constipation and diarrhea and I also have acid reflux.
Acid reflux for me responds to Prilosec and L-glutamine powder(taken in am and pm). Prilosec is taken in the morning (2 capsules). Put the head of your bed up on bed risers or use a pillow wedge to keep your head and chest elevated. Don't eat at least 2 hours before bedtime and don't lie down after eating for at least 2 hours. Watch your diet ! Stay away from acidic,fatty,greasy,gassy,and spicy foods ! Don't drink soda. Drink water .
Basically the same type of diet you use for acid reflux is also good for IBS. For IBS, take acidophilus by pill form or buy it milk form at least twice a day and eat yogurt every day, this helps keep the balance of good bacteria in your colon and helps prevent diarrhea and yeast infections when you're on antibiotics. I usually up my acidophilus to 3 a day and yogurt twice a day as soon as you start any antibiotics. This will not interfere with the antibiotics working in your body to fight the infection you're taking the antibiotics for. The acidophlus and yogurt help to calm down the severe abdominal cramping(colon spasms) that usually precede a explosive diarrhea attack of IBS. It doesn't rid them completely it just helps it not to happen as often and as severe. When my IBS was at it's worst in 1996, I was on a prescription called Bentyl 4 times a day, now I only have to take it once a day in the morning. To slow down the diarrhea and to help firm up your BM's use the BRAT diet-B=bananas R=plain cooked white rice-nothing on it A=apple sauce T= toast- white bread and nothing on it,just dry. Citrucel and Metamucil twice a day ( in am and pm) help add bulk to your BM's and help to maintain regularity.
Constipation( my biggest problem part of IBS). Drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day, High fiber diet 25-30 grams a day( as long as you don't have a gluten intolerance or problems with whole grains.),making and allowing enough each day to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement.(allow up to 30 minutes at the same time every day.) This for me has been the biggest key constipation prevention method. When I first started doing this in the beginning of March 2011, it took 2-4 days in a row of using a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool inside the rectum so I could pass it a little easier and get my body use to the daily routine of moving my bowels which was pretty darn foreign to doing on any regular basis. I now know that I can't allow myself to go more than 48 hours in a row without moving my bowels because if I do then I pay the awful painful price on the third day trying to force myself to go. This only happens now when I get lazy about about not taking the time to go every day and I don't eat and drink properly. I do use a glycerin suppository at the 48 hour mark if I haven't moved my bowels so it doesn't hurt so much to go. I hope this can help you in some way.

te22a 09-21-2012 08:30 PM

thanks for the advice, going shopping today and i will try your suggestions, thanks again.

Lollypat 09-22-2012 06:48 PM

Hi. I'm 60 and have had IBS and GERD for more than 40 years. The GERD began with my pregnancy, as being pregnant caused a hiatal hernia in my stomach. I lived on antacids all through my pregnancy and forever after! Much suffering for years until I finally was given Tagamet. It provided a lot of relief. After a couple years though, it stopped working, so I moved on through Pepcid, Prilosec, Zantac, eye., winding up being barely relieved with nexium. Nexium works pretty well ifi am very careful in my diet, when I eat, what I drink, etc. then I got an RX for dexilant and found real relief. My insurance won't cover it though so I'm fighting them.

The IBS I've got is mostly diarrheal, but I get occasional constipation. I just hurt all the time. I do take probiotics every day - the one with billions of actives- and it helps a bit. I've tried as many of the quick cures as they come up with, but nothing, ncluding my GE, has been able to do much.

I do know my state of mind affects both issues, so being bipolar makes it a bit harder to get some relief, but I find when I am able to stay calm, both the GERD and the IBS tend to calm down a little.

I hope you find some relief.

te22a 09-23-2012 03:51 AM

Hi, thanks for everyones replies and suggestions. ive had a few problems this weekend with diarrohea and so wasn't able to get to the shops as planned! i like the suggestion about trying different things in my diet and will look up suggested medications. thanks again great help!

solofelix 09-23-2012 10:58 AM

Hi Lollypat,
I agree with the last part of your message about trying to keep calm and finding that your symptoms ease.
After treatment for H.Pylori two years ago, I developed Gastritis. I was also told I had a Hiatal-Hernia and IBS. I was due to go on holiday a couple off weeks ago and the week before all my symptoms got really bad, I almost cancelled my holiday and would not have gone except I did not want to let my son down (he was going with me). However I went and within the next few days I felt so much better.
I do beieve that stress causes illness causes stress if that makes sense and one of the first lines off attack is the stomach.
I know it's easier said than done but I would say to anyone with Stomach issues, try and keep all stress levels to a minimum.
Good Luck to all with Nasty stomach issues and I wish you well,

Solofelix.

te22a 10-06-2012 09:02 AM

thank you so much for the advice i hope it may work for me to.
thanks te22a