It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
(male)

martpei HB User
Question How can i cope with ibs

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and would like to share my problems with you in the hope of learning how to deal with everyday life. I was diagnosed with IBS 6 months ago and had faith in the doctors to help me manage the problems I have, I Should’ve known better! 0nce you’re diagnosed with IBS you are on your own, that is why I am here talking to you.
My symptoms are stomach pains that cause me to take time off work and just curl up with a hot bean bag and acid reflux that keeps me awake at night. I suck on polo mints to try to ease this symptom. I seem to burp a lot which can be embarrassing when I am out with friends. The worst has to be diarrhoea however I use Imodium, so I have controlled this symptom for the most part anyway! I hope some of you can give me some pointers on how to deal with these problems; maybe it is something I have not tried so far. Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
(female)

Kellycunn HB User
Re: How can i cope with ibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martpei View Post
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and would like to share my problems with you in the hope of learning how to deal with everyday life. I was diagnosed with IBS 6 months ago and had faith in the doctors to help me manage the problems I have, I Should’ve known better! 0nce you’re diagnosed with IBS you are on your own, that is why I am here talking to you.
My symptoms are stomach pains that cause me to take time off work and just curl up with a hot bean bag and acid reflux that keeps me awake at night. I suck on polo mints to try to ease this symptom. I seem to burp a lot which can be embarrassing when I am out with friends. The worst has to be diarrhoea however I use Imodium, so I have controlled this symptom for the most part anyway! I hope some of you can give me some pointers on how to deal with these problems; maybe it is something I have not tried so far. Thank you in advance for your suggestions
I havE had ibs for many years and have found that slowly adding fibre to my diet has helped me. Because I am using prescribed pain killers I often have constipation and eating sweet corn works for me, I know it is a painful condition but time and trying a variety of food and medication is the key. I sometimes us a medication called spasmanol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
(female)

trish6614 HB User

Quote:
wow does this sound like me not to long ago, I lived on Imodium also never left the house without it. I have had IBS-D for years and the past 5 years have been terrible for me. I could never leave the house without fear and leaving work became a nightmare for me it just seemed a half hour before i was to leave the grumbling started and then back and forth to the bathroom after few minutes the cramps were painful and at times I literally almost passed out from the pain not only that but it wears you out and the ride home (a 30 min drive) was full of fear that i would mess myself yes i have done that too well having no insurance sure didn't help me so i was on my own to find something that helped me. at first i tried different foods and no matter what i ate I still ended up in horrible pain marrying my toilet, this past summer my family and I bought a beach house and while my family was enjoying the beach I was stuck in the house and one night there I was woken up with terrible cramping that I tried to ignore, the episode was so bad that I almost called 911 anyway to make a long story short I was on a prayer site to have prayers said for a friends son who was in a very bad motorcycle accident and I asked not only for him to recover but for me to feel normal again, well after researching i seen peppermint capsules were supposed to help with ibs so I went to the drugstore that night to purchase them but of course they didn't have any so I asked the pharmacist if they sold them she told me if they did they would be where i looked but I did see that they have tons of probiotic products so I asked her what she would recommend for IBS-D she said none on the shelves would work but she did have some that were in the fridge a little pricey she said but they run out of stock fast wouldn't you know I didn't bring my purse so I didn't have enough cash on me to buy it so the next day I go back with the $5.00 coupon in hand she gave me and got the last bottle total cost $43.00 product VSL#3 I just want to say I HAVE MY LIFE BACK!!!! it's been a month and i have not had one single attack i now leave my house without fear i no longer look for the nearest restroom in a store i no longer yell at my daughter for missing the school bus and I no longer take imodium I eat what I want and when I want i could never drink coffee in the morning because it ruined my whole day and now i drink 2 cups i could go on and on, I have 2 BW a day and no bloody mucus in my stool. I recommend everyone with IBS-D try this product, you really have nothing to lose if it works. No I am not a salesman for this company I am just soooooooooooooo happy to have my life back ..good luck

Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
I have had IBS-A, A= alternating between constipation and diarrhea since 1996. The biggest chllenge is balancing your diet to keep your BM"S at regular intervals and at the same time reducing your overall symptoms. Anxiety,depression and stress levels make symptoms worse. I have found that Citrucel helps maintain regularity and keeps the BM's soft but firm enough to be formed and it also helps reduce the colon from going into spasms which causes the severe abdominal cramping and explosive diarrhea episodes. Stay away from acidic,gassy,spicy,and highly greasy foods. These tend to trigger the colon spams and explosive diarrhea episodes.
Acid reflux should be treated with medications like prilosec,pepcid,etc,diet,put the head of your bed up on bed risers or use pillow wedge to raise your head while sleeping,don't lie down for at least 2 hours after eating,stop eating at night at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. If these methods don't help then see a gastroenterologist.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
(male)

martpei HB User

sorry it has taken so long to reply, i have been away working so very hard to get time with a computer, thank you all so much for your advice its the best response i had so far. i will try to stay away from the wrong foods, i will also try vsl#3 and hope it works for me. thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to martpei:
Kellycunn (10-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to martpei For This Useful Post:
Kellycunn (10-13-2012)
Reply Reply