HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/)
-   -   How to stop stomach spasms? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/922399-how-stop-stomach-spasms.html)

Gugulimo 10-10-2012 12:42 AM

How to stop stomach spasms?

I am an IBS / Gastritis sufferer. My stomach "flutters" from time to time and it feels like the heart is beating elsewhere and there is some kind of an earthquake going on inside. I've noticed this to happen after heavy meals at times. Besides taking light meals, is there anything that can help with this? It happens before I go to sleep at times and that means, I'll keep waking up. The body naturally doesn't allow you to sleep when the stomach is like this and even if you somehow fall asleep, it doesn't let you stay that way. I do take my meals 2-3 hours before sleeping. But even this doesn't help sometimes.

Any tried and tested methods are really appreciated.

solofelix 10-10-2012 06:01 AM

Re: How to stop stomach spasms?

Hi,
I also have IBS/Gastritis plus a Hiatal-Hernia. Do you suffer like this all the time.
For myself I get episodes.
I can be great for weeks and then out of the blue I have a stomach like a washing machine.
I have tried numerous medications to no avail and find that the symptoms eventually get better of their own accord.
I try to eat small and often rather than big meals. Sorry I dont have an answer but maybe someone out there has one.

Solofelix.

Gugulimo 10-10-2012 08:41 AM

Hi Solofelix, Thanks for this. Mm...not all the time but as you say they occur in episodes. Very uncomfortable and annoying when they do appear though. I started to suffer terrible GERD and IBS at the same time 2 months ago following 5 courses of antibiotics (!!!! no wonder huh?). My symptoms were so severe and honestly it felt like dying. The breathlessness was just dreadful on top of so many other symptoms. That chapter is still continuing and I'm on medication to try and settle things down. Feels much better compared with what it used to be but still the stomach is highly sensitive to certain things...like heavy meals, chili, strong spices. So, I'm careful to avoid them but yesterday was bad judgement. It was rice and only after eating can you really judge how heavy it is on the stomach. So, that was a big mistake. I am on Nexium at the moment and I so fear the rebound because I've already had one when I cut the dose by 50%. Thanks to antacids, they saved the week! Still more to cut down but watching the symptoms again before taking another step.

One other question I keep wondering..., how can you tell whether you are ready to come off of the drugs...like how can you know when the stomach is healed while you are still on drugs? Do you just have to go by the "settlement of symptoms"? Any ideas appreciated!!

gmak 10-10-2012 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=Gugulimo;5069946]I am an IBS / Gastritis sufferer. My stomach "flutters" from time to time and it feels like the heart is beating elsewhere and there is some kind of an earthquake going on inside. I've noticed this to happen after heavy meals at times. Besides taking light meals, is there anything that can help with this? It happens before I go to sleep at times and that means, I'll keep waking up. The body naturally doesn't allow you to sleep when the stomach is like this and even if you somehow fall asleep, it doesn't let you stay that way. I do take my meals 2-3 hours before sleeping. But even this doesn't help sometimes.

Any tried and tested methods are really appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about when your stomach itself not your intestines SQUEEZES so hard that it feels like labor contractions of the stomach? The pain builds to a intolerable point then slowly relaxes, only to do it again and again? If so, you could be having what i have. My gastro calls it antrum spasms of the stomach. Gastritis when flared can cause this. Also, with gastritis your stomach lining swells and the sphincter or passage that you food goes thru to small intestines can become very small or closed. Your stomach continues to digest because the food cant get out. And your stomach squeezes hard to force the food out. It hurts so bad it sends people to ER. Your dr can see this with EGD & has to cut the opening & dilate it. I was given zegerid 2 a day, librax( as it is a smooth muscle relaxer) to take for this. But also nitroglycerin. You have to ask YOUR dr about this because it can severely lower blood pressure, cause severe headache & effect your heart rhythym. Call your gastroenterologist or gp. They can fix this for you hopefully. Hope it stays aeay forever!

gmak 10-10-2012 09:12 AM

I dont think that 2 months is long enough to be lowering the dose on your own. Let the dr tell you when you can. Thats when you will know. Gastritis, GERD can be followed by peptic ulcers. Especially if you lower your medicine yourself. Please dont take a risk with yourself. If you are still having pain even occasionally, your body is saying something is wrong. Tell your dr. If costs of medicine is problem(these type meds can be expensive!) My dr gets millions of samples, yours may too. Hope you get better!

solofelix 10-10-2012 10:42 AM

Hi Gugulimo,
I was also on Nexium for my symptoms. I do not seem to have Acid Reflux.
All my stomach conditions started after Antibiotic treatment for H.Pylori. One thing I do know is that if I stick to a healthy diet I have very few problems. Trouble is I slip up eat wrong things and pay the price.
I do believe that a healthy diet plays a big part in our conditions. I take Nexium only a I need it and no longer than four weeks at a time, I do cut my 40 mg daily dose down gradually and have foung along with Gaviscon as and when needed works for me.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

flipfleury 10-10-2012 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Gugulimo;5069946]I am an IBS / Gastritis sufferer. My stomach "flutters" from time to time and it feels like the heart is beating elsewhere and there is some kind of an earthquake going on inside. I've noticed this to happen after heavy meals at times. Besides taking light meals, is there anything that can help with this? It happens before I go to sleep at times and that means, I'll keep waking up. The body naturally doesn't allow you to sleep when the stomach is like this and even if you somehow fall asleep, it doesn't let you stay that way. I do take my meals 2-3 hours before sleeping. But even this doesn't help sometimes.

Any tried and tested methods are really appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Has your doctor ever suggested going on Bentyl ? It's an anti spamotic medicine that suppose to help slow down the colon spasms. Taking acidophilus either in pill form or in milk form helps as well as eating yogurt once a day.
Eating big meals high in fat,greasy,fried and really rich can make your colon overreact by going into spasms and usually causing you to have excess gas and sometimes explosive diarrhea episodes. For me this can go om for 2-4 hours. I have very frequency and urgency to move my bowels even though there is nothing left in my colon except for water along with the very painful colon spasms. It's better to eat smaller meals more frequently and concentrate on fresh fruits vegetables and whole grains.

Gugulimo 10-10-2012 10:42 PM

Thanks for the post Solofelix.

Has anyone found a relationship between Nexium and the digestion? Something I wonder is whether the lack of acid is contributing to my issues with digestion at times. Say for example, if you end up having a meal that is a little harder to breakdown (hence we call it 'heavy'), that breaking down process to the best of my understanding has a lot to do with the acid. So, in theory, if there is enough acid, then logically, the meal should not be found 'heavy' to digest. When Nexium stops the acid this makes even normal meals become 'heavier' on the stomach I feel when thinking along these lines. That means the stomach will struggle and perhaps the extra stain may cause spasms? So, in a way, this Nexium I am taking might be preventing me from achieving 'normal' digestion...hence, the stomach might be OK as it is, but when I eat something even a little heavy, it becomes upset again because it finds it hard to digest. This may leads to these tremors, bloating etc? So, in theory LACK of acid caused by Nexium might be a cause behind the tremors? Have you had any experiences that might suggest what I'm guessing at here..?... Thanks!

gmak 10-11-2012 12:38 PM

I once asked my dr this very question. He said that there is so much acid that if i took 5 it would still leave enough to digest your food. When yousay tremors or earthquake is this like pain above your belly button or like diarrhea cramps? IBS & gastritis dont fare well with fresh raw fruits and vegetables. I have had colitis, gastritis, ulcers and would really like to try to help you. But, need more specific info about your symptoms. Sometimes these anti acid meds need to be changed, ibs can become bloating and uncontrollable diarrhea. Often. Often i couldnt eat anything, just drink. Tell me again what you are feeling. Thanks

Gugulimo 10-11-2012 07:33 PM

Hi Gmak, Thanks for returning. My tremors are like....well, you know how when we burp the "grrrrrr" sound comes sometimes and with that brings an internal vibration sort of feeling. Like the esophagus is momentarily shaking up like feeling...well, the stomach is like that. Makes noise sometimes but that is minimal. When I say stomach it feels like the middle part near the belly. Feels like some earthquake tremor going on in there and with the beating of the heart combined with that, good luck sleeping ;-) Since taking this medication I've noticed that my heart is more 'felt'. Usually unless you focus on it, you don't feel its there right...but, this is no longer the case. The stomach also does jazz to a cracked up rhythm now ;-) No cramps. No pain. Just feels like tremors. I am also suspicious that this Nexium is causing it. "Internal Tremors" is apparently a side effect. I also feel minor tremors in my hands sometimes....this was highlighted by another helpful comment which pointed out 'magnesium deficiency' (Nexium makes the body unable to absorb with calcium and magnesium). But those tremors are more 'rare'. The stomach ones are far more frequent. Sometimes they go down and I cannot feel them but they surely return. Particularly close to a bowel movement, I feel these strongly. Also a certain weakness comes through the body. They do get relieved after I go. IBS? Gastritis? I have both so maybe both AND the drugs? ....

What a mess isn't it.....it is depressing to think about and also go through this day after day. The tremors by the way started recently (they had stopped for a few weeks). This got triggered after I had that 'heavy' meal. That night I couldn't even sleep well. Yesterday I slept much much better. Tremor was very lightly there but not enough to keep me awake. I have noticed that if I eat, fall asleep for say 10 mins and suddenly get up, the whole system shakes badly. Then after a few minutes it settles back to 'normal' tremors that are much milder.

I have bloating. Mainly on the upper stomach. Lower stomach also gets bloated sometimes. I do get the 'acid' like feeling now and then and a funny taste in my mouth (like metal..). I either eat something or take an anti acid when this happens and it goes away. Occasional chest pain comes, mild but the moment you do the anti acid or eating something it subsides. Heaviness in the chest is more or less the same though harder to be rid of, occurs not so frequently. Like yesterday I had it for a few hours...just hanging there like something is holding the chest weighing down on it.

This is what I'm going through. Any ideas appreciated.

gmak 10-11-2012 08:32 PM

With the symptoms and pattern of relief it sounds like maybe severe gas. I know this sounds trite but if you have yeast it can be brutal. You said that you took5 rounds of antiobotics. This can cause yeast overgrowth. Gas.Bloating Bubbling yeast causes gas! Acidophylis, yogurt help with putting good bacteria back into your system. But, there is a anti yeast tablet your dr can prescribe if he thinks you have yeast. Quickest gas relief is dont eat vegetables. Simethicone that is OTC alone or in antacid/ gas relief preparations can help too. For me, anyway. But, the bad taste, breathless, weird heartbeat, weakness,hand tremor sounds like symptoms that your gastroenterologist needs to get to bottom of. You could call your pharmacist to see if related to the Nexium.With me the anti acid rx's often need to be changed until you find the right one. There is that thing i mentioned before that you stomach keeps on digesting because it cant empty due to gastritis swelling opening out of stomach. Your dr could check this. Wish i could be of more help. I hope that you get relief soon. It could be something new and unrelated to gastritis or IBS.Hopefully, it will just stop!,

Gugulimo 10-11-2012 11:18 PM

Thanks so much Gmak. Do you know whether there is a test to see whether yeast is behind this? I too wonder where on earth I end up getting bloated so much. I've not been able to establish a connection between my food and the bloating. It's like it just does its thing whenever it likes no matter how careful I am with the diet. I don't eat raw vegetables. I do take some well cooked ones and potatoes. The antibiotics must have killed everything that was good inside the stomach. The last time I went to the doctor I had a sore throat. He had one look at it and put me on yet another course of antibiotics (that was the 5th course that broke my stomach completely)....I think he misdiagnosed me. My throat must have been red due to all that acid that was building up for a major attack which only took a few days more :-( I started to faint too. He said I was having faint attacks (I thought a WHAT?). The attacks were sooooo severe.

If you know of a test please let me know. Probiotics might help? Somewhere I saw something about bacterial overgrowth...thought probiotics might cause this and I was worried because they said that if that happens, there is nothing that can really be done! So, I stayed away from Probiotics....maybe my understanding is not correct?

Also, for the yeast overgrowth issue, do you normally burp a lot or send gas the other way a lot?

Thanks!

solofelix 10-12-2012 12:40 AM

Hi Guglimo,
I think that taste you get in your mouth is from the Nexium, I get the same also a dry mouth when I am taking it.
Your symptoms sound more like IBS to me, I have it and experience very similar symptoms. I was given Nexium because I had two ulcers and H.Pylori but I found it seemed to cause more problems with my IBS. When I leave it of my IBS is not so bad.
It's a case of what suits one complaint can upset another one.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Gugulimo 10-12-2012 02:45 AM

Aha...maybe that explains why I keep drinking water so much. Well, water is awful so I try to put some flavor like liquorice in it. For some reason, I can't seem to put up much with just water since I started on this medications. Get that horrid taste too much when I drink it pure.

When you have ulcers there's a lot of pain right..? Are you much better now with the medication? I wish my tremors would stop and this heavy chested feeling. And of course this gas / bloating. I should go park myself at a gas station with a notice board "free gas", but of course nothing much would come out because I'd be bloated with pretty much all of it inside...<sigh>. It is very uncomfortable when they occur. From what I understand, you take Nexium from time to time, correct? If so, do you also get acid rebounds? For how long do they go on?

Thanks Solofelix.

solofelix 10-12-2012 11:00 AM

I dont get Acid Refux. My Ulcers were caused by H.Pylori.
I guess just normal acid in the stomach would accravate an Ulcer so that's why they gave me Nexium.
I suppose I should take it all the time but it upsets my IBS. I havent had an Ulcer since medication got rid of my H.Pylori and that was more than a year ago.
Yes! Ulcers are painful and one of mine bled. Nexium seems to make my Gas/Bloating worse so I try and take Gaviscon instead and that helps.
All the best,

Solofelix.